Finally, a documentary about Techno that gets it right

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
NativeBreaks

Post by NativeBreaks » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:14 pm

truth hurts . i know.

it's real simple. quarter beats are extremely redundant.

enough said....

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:23 pm

I am not sure if the 4/4 kick is the cause or the result.
The problem seems to be more that most of the music associated with a straight BD became so incredibly sterile and boring. Just stereotype music without any experiment, any risk, any innovation. Just pure formula. East to create, mass produced shit. So, indeed, a night in a club with ooompf-tss-ommmpf-tss nonstop at 128 bpm can be torturous.

But on the other side, there is danger for every genre here. I recently read a CM tutorial about dubstep. Five pages explaining in detail how to make a prototype dubstep track, including such great advice as putting in "some oriental sample" from a commercial library. And including the obviously necessary mastering part.
Result if you do this: Prototype, sterile music that has NOTHING musical in it at all.
And which is totally the opposite of what makes Burial, Shakleton, T++,.. great.

Lets just not think in genres, but make great music that comes from within ourselves and does not try to reproduce what we have heard a million times.

Robert.

p.s: To create a monolake song you have to type in 6.321 somewhere in Live.

p.ps.: I find the movie does not work so well as a documentary of "Techno", for all the reasons mentioned. It is more a quite personal film about the protagonist and his exploration of a very selective part of the scene. I would have chosen very different artists, ( and not even me in that context ) but I like parts of the movie nevertheless a lot.
Last edited by Robert Henke on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:24 pm

NativeBreaks wrote: enough said....
yes, quite.

:roll:

lola

Post by lola » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:42 pm

Robert Henke wrote:
But on the other side, there is danger for every genre here. I recently read a CM tutorial about dubstep. Five pages explaining in detail how to make a prototype dubstep track, including such great advice as putting in "some oriental sample" from a commercial library. And including the obviously necessary mastering part.
Result if you do this: Prototype, sterile music that has NOTHING musical in it at all.
And which is totally the opposite of what makes Burial, Shakleton, T++,.. great.

Lets just not think in genres, but make great music that comes from within ourselves and does not try to reproduce what we have heard a million times.

Robert.

I am with you on that subject.
For me the best music was created in the past by people who where passionate about what they were doing but had no technical skills IMO.
Don't gave a shit about the technique, the mix, the mastering, just create because out of PASSION (that's the key)
Personally i think because (not only magazines) but forums, and the Internet, the ease to get warez, filled with the most beautiful ready made presets killed the creativity for a big part.
It has become easy.... and you get lazy from that.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:45 pm

Robert Henke wrote:I recently read a CM tutorial about dubstep.
Wow, didn't figure you as the core demographic there, lol! :lol:
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

NativeBreaks

Post by NativeBreaks » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:58 pm

Robert Henke wrote: But on the other side, there is danger for every genre here.
-------

Robert.

+1. I fear all genres face a demise when they get washed up or flooded out with too much repetition, and not enough innovation. It happened to Rock, and Hip Hop.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:53 pm

Robert Henke wrote: p.s: To create a monolake song you have to type in 6.321 somewhere in Live.
Ah HA! I knew he was just faking all that stuff with the soldering iron. :lol:

[edit] this thread, and the secret of 6.321, has inspired me

http://utenzil.com/mp3/onket_maj.mp3

(or, if not "inspired" has provoked me into putting up an mp3 that annoys you with it's repetitiveness). :wink: :)

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:48 pm

NativeBreaks wrote:truth hurts . i know.

enough said....
The Northern Cree would take exception to that, I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wZrPCxB6uw

btw if you haven't seen a group like this live, you have missed something in your life.

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:39 pm

If I'm correct, this thread went 4 pages without even a mention of Modulations? :!:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139468/

NativeBreaks

Post by NativeBreaks » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:09 am

mikemc wrote:
NativeBreaks wrote:truth hurts . i know.

enough said....
The Northern Cree would take exception to that, I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wZrPCxB6uw

btw if you haven't seen a group like this live, you have missed something in your life.
HAHA. yeah, nothing against indians. But yeah, they're extremely not talented when it comes to music. bangin the drum redundantly while screaming is a far cry from artistic expression. But, if i were on some peyote with them, i'd be banging that thang too, but with some crazy fractions in there..... you wanna see what real drumming is, go to the middle east bro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWcoCo7P3Vo

as far as Modulations, just added to my netflix queue list, haven't seen it yet. thanx for the recommendation.

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:12 am

Also, no one mentioned this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0207998/

Better Living Through Circuitry

How these were missed is again, a mystery.

NativeBreaks

Post by NativeBreaks » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:13 am

check these peeps.. better dancing than what i see at house music fests.

LOL...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3CzptgIvcU

kpa

Post by kpa » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:12 pm

NativeBreaks wrote:it's real simple. quarter beats are extremely redundant.
biggest parcel i have read on this site.

as for the continual use of the 'amen break', that is something which people should stop using.
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:03 pm

All hostility aside Native,

IMHO it's not about the beat, (don't get me wrong, I'm a total beat head), but more about the song.

You can have a great Vocal and or Melody that can translate to Breakbeat, Hip hop, Rock and Oomph - hiss- Oomph - Hiss.

Look at Daft Skunk and Crustice for examples. Great Motown, rock, disco with a 4/4, breaks etc.

Don't be so loyal to your breaks holmes, that's not the soul of a great track.

outy-

T-
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Sorry chaps but.. wtf is the last track, the mellow-ish one that starts when modeselektor come on screen ? Sounds like it might be Apparat but I dunno.. it's nice.

Help please :P