Q: Newbie Help. I've got 8 tracks of 8 bars of audio...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smili

Q: Newbie Help. I've got 8 tracks of 8 bars of audio...

Post by smili » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:35 pm

I want to create loops of the different audio takes and start creating different scenes so I can start mixing and matching loops - but can't figure out what I need to do to make it happen.

Can someone tell me what the name of what I'm trying to do - or point me to a tuturial that talks about doing this? (I'm in Live Lite 7.)

Also, if I want to create a wav or mp3 of a mix, what option am I looking for?

I appreciate any tips... thanks in advance.

laird

Post by laird » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:38 pm

um, you know you are walking into the classic "read the effin manual" reply here. Look up "working with audio clips" and "rendering audio" and there are very very good instructions there.

smili

Post by smili » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:53 pm

I think part of the answer may be in here
http://www.ableton.com/pages/tips/2004_12

Bounce to Track, Resample and Render

and maybe here:
http://www.ableton.com/pages/tips/2004_10
Get Your Guitar Groove On

although in this tutorial it seems like it's creating the loops in the scenes on the fly. I have 8 audio tracks, but no loops showing up in any of my scenes.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:17 pm

I'm guessing you have recorded your tracks in the arrange page..
Are all of you tracks visible at the same time?
do they run from the left to the right?
are all of the track controls down the right hand side of the screen?
If you have answered yes to all of these questions then you need to highlight all of your tracks and drag the over the scene button in the upper right corner.
This will flip the view from arrange to scene and your tracks will appear as clips in tracks.
To edit your clips just clip on one and it will show its contents at the bottom of the GUI..

This is where a lot of the magic of live exists...
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

smili

Post by smili » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:51 pm

Homebelly - thanks for your pointers. I think I'm close - and I think I can see what you talk about when I highlight all and drag to session view and try to position things.

Here's a link with screenshots of my arrangement view and session view as they currently are.
http://slowgroove.blogspot.com/2008/11/ ... shots.html
Homebelly wrote:I'm guessing you have recorded your tracks in the arrange page..
yes, 8 tracks of audio, aligned horizontally in arrangement view.
Are all of you tracks visible at the same time?
yes. I can see them all on the screen stacked.
do they run from the left to the right?
yes
are all of the track controls down the right hand side of the screen?
yes
If you have answered yes to all of these questions then you need to highlight all of your tracks and drag the over the scene button in the upper right corner.
I'm having trouble with this part. Not sure if I'm doing it right, or just can't do it in the lite version. Is the scene button the same as session button? I think I can see it trying to do what you suggest - is the last pic at the post below what you're referring too? It'll show this, give an error, and then remove all the loops when I click OK.

(see image - http://slowgroove.blogspot.com/2008/11/ ... shots.html )
This will flip the view from arrange to scene and your tracks will appear as clips in tracks.
To edit your clips just clip on one and it will show its contents at the bottom of the GUI..

This is where a lot of the magic of live exists...
I agree that it is way cool if it'll create the loops on the fly that easily. That's what I was hoping Live would do. would make messing around with arrangements very very quick. Much better than having to save each loop seperately like I was afraid I was going to have to do. Maybe to work in the lite version I'll have to do that anyway, but nice to know how that works.

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:57 am

have you tried recording in session view yet? this seems to be what you are wanting to do... in session view, record arm the track you want to record , then fire a clip in that track. live will start recording into that slot. when you are done, you can keep the clip, loop the clip, play the clip one time, record/drag the clip to arrange... and once you record more than one clip, you can trigger clips in a track, by using your mouse, key commands, midi notes, and follow actions. you may be limited to 4 "scenes" in session, but you can get a good idea how it works... you could have 4 clips in each of your 8 tracks, and trigger the clips however you please, and record the results into arrange...

all this is in the built in live lessons, i'd recommend going thru those->help>lessons table of contents... start at the beginning at work thru them, really good stuff. and get to know the manual... :wink:

smili

Post by smili » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:35 am

thanks for the help everybody and thanks for the patience.

I'm sorry if these questions are terribly simplistic to users, and I'm not posting to try to agitate. If there are folks like me posting questions like this it's often because we've seen some very cool stuff on you tube vids (the keymapping on one youtube vid helped open my eyes, along with the kid beyond stuff), gone through many of the lessons online (I used ableton recording audio lesson to get to where I'm at now), but was surprised when I still had no loops in the scenes in the session view after following the recording audio tutorial.

How this software works can be confusing to new folks - even those of us that have used other DAWS - and what functionality is even called in Live can be confusing. Again, thanks for the help, and I'm reading up on "clips" and will mess around with recording in session view instead of in arrangement view.

dcease

Post by dcease » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:50 am

you have nothing to apologize for! live is very fun, and you are right, there are some amazing users out there, doing amazing things with it! stick with it, you'll get there, if you keep working at it. and don't worry about pissing people off here, not like any of us are real, anyway :lol: everyone started somewhere... that's why i wholly recommend the live lessons, they are what got me hooked!
smili wrote:but was surprised when I still had no loops in the scenes in the session view after following the recording audio tutorial.
i believe you have been hitting the global record button>the record on the transport! which makes sense, if you have previous daw experience... that is for arrange only, use the clip records for session...