tuning oscillators

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djfm

tuning oscillators

Post by djfm » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:42 pm

im delving into making my own sounds with not just tweeking the presets. Ive also been reading this months future music's feature about famous synth sounds and how they were made
what i would like to know is tuning of oscillators.. Is there a right way to do this in terms of music theory? or do i just move them until they sound good?
thanks
http://www.myspace.com/projectf - Progressive
http://soundcloud.com/fproject
http://twitter.com/fproject1

Macbook 2.4 4GB/Live 7.15/massive/Absynth 4

Johnisfaster

Re: tuning oscillators

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:58 pm

djfm wrote:im delving into making my own sounds with not just tweeking the presets. Ive also been reading this months future music's feature about famous synth sounds and how they were made
what i would like to know is tuning of oscillators.. Is there a right way to do this in terms of music theory? or do i just move them until they sound good?
thanks
typically I think you'd want one oscillator to be exactly tuned to a specific note (at at least close) and sometimes a second oscillator which is detuned if you like. or 5 more detuned if you like. USUALLY you want one perfectly tuned though.

but the rule of thumb is to do whatever the hell you want to do, it's all up to you
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:05 am

Tuning oscillators is a great tool to make interesting sounds. A dull pad or string sound can be make fatter or wider be detuning the oscs just a little bit or crazy effect sounds can be made by detuning a lot.

I'm not sure where to start your hunt for info about tuning (and detuning oscs) but a great series about synthesis in general is the Sound On Sound Synth Secrets series that can be found on their website.

HERE you can find a search on their website. Best place to start is article one, on the last page of the search results.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:29 am

nobody else has anything to say about this? I figured this would trigger a in depth discussion and tips sharing experience between synth programmers alike, but it seems my wishes are to far fetched...

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:59 am

I saw something similar not long ago (famous sounds n' how they were made), and if I'm not wrong it was a link thru a thread here. A lot of cool stuff there. Gave me some ideas on how I can make new tunes.

As far as programming synths go, I say start fucking with everything, learn from others, definitely, save any cool sounds as you go, even the smallest changes to a sound, just like you might save a bunch of different versions of a song as you go along.

Space permitting of course...

Now, tuning oscillators, that can lead to all kinds of goodness. But, can also lead to shit. It makes sense to keep these things at musical values apart, and even on specific tones, but Eh... You could also make one big cluster fuck of whatever.
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

xherv

Post by xherv » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:15 am

Detuning an oscillator is not the only way to change it's pitch :wink:
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:13 pm

most percussive sounds, including tuned percussion have strong inharmonic content. Think of bells, of metal beams etc... They all have a fundamental frequency or a low harmonics tuned to a musical key and the rest is inharmonic content.

May I say that Operator is the perfect synth for exploring those things :-)

Robert

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:19 pm

Robert Henke wrote:most percussive sounds, including tuned percussion have strong inharmonic content. Think of bells, of metal beams etc... They all have a fundamental frequency or a low harmonics tuned to a musical key and the rest is inharmonic content.

May I say that Operator is the perfect synth for exploring those things :-)

Robert
I do believe I'm inclined to agree with you, oh tall loud one.

I find myself using Operator more and more; my first patches on it were strict subtractive synths, now I'm really about exploring dissonant sounds, currently heavily inspired by oldskool Buchla-style FM sounds.

*wobble, wobble*
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:01 pm

Another Operator fan boy here.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.