Mac dual monitor question ...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
steved

Mac dual monitor question ...

Post by steved » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:02 pm

I have a Macbook and Imac both connected to a Dell 24 inch monitor. When I use the input selector on the Dell to swap between the two computers - the Macbook ( using a DVI cable ) loses the screen configuration and reverts to a single screen set up - while the Imac ( using a mini DVI to VGA adapter ) maintains the dual monitor set up. This seems to make it impossible to configue optimum dual monitor set-ups on both computers - and quickly swap between them. This is what I used to do with my old Lacie 23 inch monitor which had dual VGA inputs.

So .... a bit disappointed.

Does anyone know a work around for this ? The Dell has one VGA and two DVI inputs. I guess I could use minDVI to VGA adapters on both computers - and then get a VGA monitor switch box - I don't know if this would work .

Any thoughts ... ?
Nocturn early adopter ....

steved

Post by steved » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:00 pm

I figured a work around.

If I hide the application before swapping computers - then when I swap back to the original computer - by choosing the application again - the original screen layout is retained - i.e it doesn't get reduced down to Macbook size. Sorted !

That will do me - an extra step - but at least it's doable.
Nocturn early adopter ....