Want a mac?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lola

Want a mac?

Post by lola » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:57 pm

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:23 pm

Well, fucking A....did you just save me $2000 ??
thx!

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:34 pm

you can do everything this dongle lets you do with just software right now. it just takes a little more work. that plus the pretty restrictive hardware list makes this a bit of a head scratcher. Also there is no guarantee that Apple wont find a way to identify these boxes, and cut them out of updates.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

aleme

Post by aleme » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:24 am

why should i need this efix when I can have it without?
Last edited by aleme on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:38 am

there is no need of that piece of hardware...

just google, and you will find some clues ;]

i've spent nearly 1,5 month on getting leo working on my laptop, but when I pressed the update button... (didnt even have to update :S ) kernel panic on startup. get it? that's no point - buy a mac and stop wasting time on even thinking about a hackint0sh.

by the way, even "omgwhatacrap" vista has fewer updates than macosx. count MBs!

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:03 am

hackintosh works fine, use the Kalyway image. it can be quite a struggle getting some hardware working, so its really only for techs, geeks and those with hours to spend on troubleshooting hardware instead of making music!

DJDJ

Post by DJDJ » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:06 am

If you read the link you would know that after installing that dongle, you can update the OS with no problems.

very interesting, thanks OP!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:43 am

Zygi wrote: by the way, even "omgwhatacrap" vista has fewer updates than macosx. count MBs!
It's always been that way, Apple have always released numerous small updates, while Microsoft go for a for large ones. Nothing new there.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:47 am

DJDJ wrote:If you read the link you would know that after installing that dongle, you can update the OS with no problems.

very interesting, thanks OP!
and if you read my post you would know that it would be trivial for apple to cut these boxes from updates if they so chose, rendering your $200 investment null.

ive actually setup hackintoshes, but feel free to waste your money.

im not sure who these dongles are aimed at. Anyone who is tech inclined can get a fully working hackintosh without a dongle. Any non techie trying to build one with a dongle is still going to have problems unless they have the exact hardware specified.

if you want a mac that bad, put the $200 towards a mac.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:24 am

Zygi wrote:there is no need of that piece of hardware...
[...] but when I pressed the update button... (didnt even have to update :S ) kernel panic on startup. get it? that's no point - buy a mac
lol, you REALLY don't know what you're talking about then! The link posted by the OP shows him updating osx and rebooting into the new update - in fact, that's the majority of the video!

Now, lets all go be opinionated and uninformed about something else!

*grumble*

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:22 pm

between this and Mac clones storming the market I think Apple knows its days as a box pusher are about to radically change.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mac+clon ... =firefox-a
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:08 am

if u have macosx compatible hardware there is no need for that dongle... no point in buying it really.

and!

saying that updating with it wont make a difference is not really that true... why? try getting x3100 on laptop working with macos on pc. and dont think its easy to do.

so how can you be sure that anything installed and verified working will work with next drivers update?

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:51 am

darkcatt wrote:between this and Mac clones storming the market I think Apple knows its days as a box pusher are about to radically change.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mac+clon ... =firefox-a
somehow i find this extremely hard to believe. what's more interesting is that apple has been buying up parts of a manufacturing process to actually make more of the components of their machines in house.

it's always funny to me how apple can be on a constant upward trajectory for the last 12 years, have a larger market share then they have had in decades, be sitting on a huge mountain of reserve cash at exactly the right moment to insure they can weather an economic storm, and yet people still keep thinking one day they will "wake up and realize they are doing it all wrong"
Macbook Pro unibody 2.2 Ghz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 512MB graphics, 500 GB SSD, 500 GB HD, Mac OS 10.8
http://www.bangbang-nyc.com