Start Buying Music People!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
NativeBreaks

Post by NativeBreaks » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:32 pm

freshdrumma wrote:i do my best and i buy a lot of vinyl, few cds and no mp3s, the situation it's so bad that i'm forced to have a digital label instead of the vinyl label that i really want!
not only people are not buying vinyl, but distributors are not distributing new vinyls too, that means that at one point i'll have to be a digital dj and play the new stuff or a vinyl dj and play the old stuff.

sucks

please go back buying music, it's killing the artists, the label, the distributors and the shops. just one album instead of none will make a big difference.

and i'm very pissed that people are pleased to pay for the latest ipod, but not for the music that they like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's STUPID!!!!
BRAVO! I think buying vinyl is one of the best things you can possibly do. That vinyl contains a lot more "DATA" than any CD or HD recording. Even tho there are small losses, the gain severely out weigh the losses. I think one day, people will learn to appreciate vinyl more. It's stuck around this long...

lola

Post by lola » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:47 pm

this is all a good thing, you'll see.
its exactly what punk should've been.
fuck the distributers, fuck the labels.

DJ Etain

Post by DJ Etain » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:48 pm

NativeBreaks wrote: $1-$1.50 is absurd for one song, especially at mp3 quality.
Not sure about the other sites, but with Beatport you have the choice to download your tracks at MP3/MP4 or wav format.

E

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:24 pm

That's fine, except that Beatport charge a fortune for the .wav download. At least they do give you a choice though.

It's still so easy. People who are putting out vinyl and CDs tend to care about the product as they are having to invest time and money into materials, duplication and album art, inside covers/credits/lyrics etc.

Anyone can put out a strictly digital download album with such little effort and overhead, which is why the market is flooded with crap and the genuine talent is suffering.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

lola

Post by lola » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:27 pm

leedsquietman wrote:
Anyone can put out a strictly digital download album with such little effort and overhead, which is why the market is flooded with crap and the genuine talent is suffering.
That's why buying vinyl is much easier, that market is not flooded, and most labels still do a&r, stuff gets filtered by quality.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:30 pm

talent's not suffering, there's just a lot more amatuer people being able to get exposure now

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:31 pm

I like to buy vinyl, then record it into soundforge as wav.

It's a bugger to warp them though!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

substaticnz

Post by substaticnz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:29 pm

NativeBreaks wrote: Personally, I think the artists should give their music away at CD quality for FREE. And if the listeners are passionate about their music, they will donate, and probably more than what the songs are actually worth.
Ah yeah...
thats a lovely idea. We tried the donation option, putting our tracks up for free download. We have had over 1000 downloads now and our total donation pool .... £0.

Awesome.

Now I know some of those people would not of liked our tracks and thats fine, i wouldnt exspect or want those people to pay but we got a fair bit of positive feedback from people who did.

Im not angry about it, maybe only a little supprized. I think maybe a factor is once someone has the music and is enjoying it there is no reason to return to the site. Its one of those things someone may mean to get round to but there is no incentive so it never gets done.

I have just finished a rebuild of our site http://www.kilotone.com and I havent even bothered putting the donation option back up. We are still offering our tunes for free download though. As I now think of our tracks as more of a business card, used to get gigs etc.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
www.Kilotone.com
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6 - MPD24 - BCR2000 - UA101

mosca

Post by mosca » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:23 pm

what really grinds my gears these days is the 'big' record labels instead of chucking out endless 'greatest hits' packages at xmas now seem to be taking an album that was released this year, banging some extra tracks or video on it and re-releasing it as the 'extreme' edition.

so people who've already bought the album and might actually want the new tracks/remixes/video have to shell out again for the privelage.

no wonder people d/l music form p2p

the major record companies really don't have a clue if they think this is a great idea.

/rant
/last post

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:43 pm

That's why buying vinyl is much easier, that market is not flooded, and most labels still do a&r, stuff gets filtered by quality.
Totally. The same applies with CDs too and I'm not talking about 'home releases' done on cheap cd-r with a CD stomper etc. Even the likes of CD Baby who accept this type of product (they do label it as what it is), with a setup cost and taking $4 off each CD means most talentless hacks who are out for money don't go that route, they just offer paypal off their own web site.

This is one reason why I still either go to retail stores (many bargains in this economic climate), or use an online CD distributor to do my purchasing and stay away from most invitations to use paypal on an individual site. If I really know the artist and love their music, I will happily use paypal to buy a CD from their website, but otherwise, I stay away.

Beatport is not too bad an option for digital download as it offers .wav for some some releases and it's sales policy (you must sell xxx number of copies per month to stay available) ensures some kind of quality control.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.