Just an idea for Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
foogermooger

Just an idea for Ableton

Post by foogermooger » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:59 pm

Was thinking just the other day about how much people actually use cracked copies of ableton etc and i thought this would be a great way of stopping any more cracks maybe..

Why doesnt ableton ship with some sort of pci card like the UAD things, that could also help to take the weight off ur cpu for heavy projects etc. More importantly it would stop people actually using cracked versions of the software as it would need the card to run. For those that dont have room or use ableton to DJ with then a simple firewire connection and external card thign could work...

Just an idea, no biggy..i guess it would cost a few more ££s to do but i know i would pay for this

:idea:

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:12 pm

I guess the crackers would crack it so that the program would run without having to check against the dongle, i.e. bypass the check completely. :(

minimal

Post by minimal » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:18 pm

steinberg craks works because some software is emulating the dongle
so it's not a big deal for crakers to workaround the dongle I guess

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:26 pm

While we're on the subject, another suggestion would be for Ableton to release its own cracked copy of Live on to the torrents that would run exactly as good as the real thing, but had a detection mechanism that would know when someone is DJing at 2am in a filled club and one second before the massive build-up, it would stop the audio, deinstall itself and erase all your music files.

foogermooger

Post by foogermooger » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:28 pm

8O wrote:I guess the crackers would crack it so that the program would run without having to check against the dongle, i.e. bypass the check completely. :(
I see what your saying but i wonder if there would be a way where the software actually required the card to run, like used its processing power......Ive never heard of a cracked UAD software.....

But then i suppose that would greatly add to the expense of the product perhaps.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:29 pm

:lol:
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

NativeBreaks

Post by NativeBreaks » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:13 pm

NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

then i'll be forecd to buy extra crap to make my app run.

LIKE DIGIDESIGN, I HATE PROTOOLS AND THEIR TDM CHIP.

If you have the right gear, it's not necessary. And the processors are getting faster all the time, there's really not much need for those chips anymore, especially in the very near future. Plus, to force Ableton users to buy one to continue their work would be a definate destroyer of the client base, not to mention the amount of money it would cost Ableton to build that.

I remember when Digidesign first came out, they invested so much money into the hardware, the software was complete crap. It was so bad, they didn't even bother having customer support because it had so many problems. I know because I used to sell them, and I'd try to get in touch with Digidesign about issues that everyone was having with their software. Today, they are much better, they basically tried to copy everything that MOTU already did many years before they even thought of protools.
Today, you really don't need the TDM chips unless you are doing some heavy multi tracking, like orchestra recording, and you need to have FX on every single track.
But hey, if you don't mind paying extra money for every single plugin just so it can run RTAS on an extra card, go right ahead brotha.
I say, ta hell with RTAS. Get real hardware, money way better spent. In 3-5 more years, I think those TDM chips will be a joke, no one will need them because of the advancement of CPU's, bus speeds, and the amount of headroom and low latency they will provide. Digidesign is just holding onto it, because it's a HUGE PROFIT. The money made by RTAS plug sales is probably way higher than the profits they make on the hardware, converters, and mixing consoles.
I run my buffer's at 128 milliseconds, & I never reach above 40 %. And that's with 4 instances of VST's like Sylenth (bad ass VST BTW) with a total of 32 voices running, and never one drop out. The group buy is still going on, and i'm really F*ckin happy with mine. solid. not one crash. Plus, I also run 5 live audio inputs with FX, and over 40 tracks, which most have some sort of FX.
I'm against people crackin Ableton. I don't know if ableton is putting a time limit on the Live demo now, but if so, I think that's a bad move. I downloaded the demo shortly after V7 came out, and I had it on my HD for atleast 3 months before I bought it. Because I was still using Cubase, and was still evaluating making the switch to Ableton. I couldn't export files, but I could take my time checking out the program. If they had a time limit on it, I would have never bought it. Heck, I've owned it for almost 6 month, and I'm still digging into areas that are new to me. Live is so different from other apps, but it's by far, the most stable, well performanced sequencer out there. But I do believe, if the person is going to actually use it, and is making money with it, I'd assume they would buy it out of respect and just to keep things clean on the HD. I don't appreciate when companies put all this extra BS on your HD just for verification. I had the Rob Papen Predator, and he introduced syncsoft license software in his V2 update, and it completely screwed up my system. All kinds of problems, so I threw Predator in the trash. My buddy downloaded predator by torrent, and it works perfect. Go figure. When companies do this stuff, I'm very inclined to just download the cracked versions even if i've paid for the app.
I think faith in the product is the best way to go. it seems like every time a software company gets too focused on securing their software, something goes horribly WRONG, and this really really makes me feel like we're moving backwards, and not into the future, and encourages me to buy hardware instead. I remember when Protools introduced the iLok usb dongle. One of my clients lost his, and he had to shut his studio down for 4 weeks. NICE. Cost him $60 per hour. BAD MOVE by Protools.

Getting an MPC with real synths has never completely left the table for me. Bad idea about adding a chip for Ableton.

NativeBreaks

Post by NativeBreaks » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:14 pm

the way ableton handles their license verification is fine. not probs.

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:19 pm

What an great idea .... NOOOOOOOOT!

Everybody uses Live live as in laptop. And if your next idea is to put it on a dongle I can say that I personally will immediately stop buying Ableton the moment it goes dongle.

lola

Post by lola » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:31 pm

Synchrosoft would stop them for 100%
I already have a synchrosoft dongle for other software, and it works very fine, no hassle.

NativeBreaks

Post by NativeBreaks » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:41 pm

not me. all bad experiences here.

had to reformat my system once from it.
I tried for weeks to get that crap out of my system.
dangerous, especially if every single company gets their own..

BAD idea.
I know i'll never buy another software that uses that..

aizo

Post by aizo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:45 pm

a card would kill all macbook user base and the last thing i need is something that needs a usb port. fuck i have like 9 of them now.....
ImageImage

lola

Post by lola » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:52 pm

If they put it on synchrosoft, everyone still will buy live, because there is no other program as live is.
Maybe you could go to cubase....... oh yea...they also are synchrosoft protected :D
And there is only one crack of cubase ..what was it?...cubase 3?dangg ...cubase 4 has been released 2 years ago?
Go figure... it works.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:14 pm

Cubase and Nuendo 4 have not been cracked. It's too much effort.

Cubase SX3 and Nuendo 3 have not been cracked so they are 100% effective - there are cracks that exist but they often go 'poof' if you try certain features. SX2 is the last Cubase which is reasonably well cracked.

i like Live as it is, thank you. The synchrosoft dongle is not too bad but for live performance and portability, represents something which is easily lost or broken. Steinberg do not cover lost or stolen dongles, you have to repurchase the program. If it's broken you need to buy a new USB key and they will give you activation codes.

To my knowledge, there are not successful cracks of the latest version of Live around either and those which do exist are flaky. Not that I'm an expert on this stuff as all my software is registered and 100% legit, but from what I read on other forums this is the situation. Live's copyright protection is fine by me.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:52 pm

8O wrote:While we're on the subject, another suggestion would be for Ableton to release its own cracked copy of Live on to the torrents that would run exactly as good as the real thing, but had a detection mechanism that would know when someone is DJing at 2am in a filled club and one second before the massive build-up, it would stop the audio, deinstall itself and erase all your music files.

lol
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent