All times are UTC

Post subject: Is Live what I need?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:00 pm 

I want to be able to take loops off Audio CDs and save them for later use.
I also want to be able to put very refined EQ effects on these loops.
For Example: If I take an 8beat sample off a music CD and Loop it, it may have drums, and keyboards, by putting it through effects I may be able to drown out the keyboards and have only the sound of the drums.
I want to take a bunch of these and mix them altogether. The end result may be vocals from a Madonna track, Percussions from Moby and Keyboards from something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:52 pm 

You can totally do that with Live. I've been collecting Acid loops for that exact purpose.

You can import the loop into Live, add fx as desired and bounce that loop with effects very easily - and you can do it while playing a set live.

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:40 pm 

yeah Live is what you want, but do not overestimate how much you can isolate an instrument with EQ. There is simply too much overlapping sonic space shared by instuments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:00 pm 

I agree on that - isolating just one part of the mix is not easy to do, as all the instruments overlap to various degrees. You may not be able to separate the bass from the kick, the hats from the melody and so forth.

Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:44 pm 

Live will certainly do that... but any decent waveform editor will also. Myself, I would go with the latter because Live is so much more than just a loop processor... Live is closer to a sequencer than a loop processor but then everyone uses it differently, as is evident from these forums!
Now, if you really want to subvert your sounds, try Kantos 1.0 from Antares (works really well with Live, as C. Kleine mentioned previously in these forums.) The results are rather amazing... and Madonna will never know that that twisted loop is her vocal- or maybe she will, considering she is more than familiar with Auto Tune, another Antares product...

Last edited by Stiffy on Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:47 pm 

Stiffy wrote:
and Madonna will never know that that twisted loop is her vocal- or maybe she will, considering she is more than familiar with Auto Tune, another Antares product...

lol! how many pop artists do you think can actually sing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:26 pm 

Mariah and Celine Dion - no vocal processor can screech like them.