OT: Selling your music on BandCamp

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
synnack

Post by synnack » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:30 am

rbro wrote:Cool so far. Signed up. Hooked up with Paypal and uploaded a few tracks:

http://atomicskunk.bandcamp.com

Like it! When I sober up I will try to remember to buy it.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

rbro

Post by rbro » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:31 pm

Excellent! You'll be my first customer. Just think of all the future fame and notoriety you can claim :D

synnack

Post by synnack » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:38 pm

rbro wrote:Excellent! You'll be my first customer. Just think of all the future fame and notoriety you can claim :D
Well, i am giving you honest feedback.

1) It is hard to want something called "atomic skunk". sounds painful. not something to buy. if this music had a different name it would have a much broader market.

2) I like all of your tracks but buying them is a pain. If i could click one button and buy all of them as a release. I totally would. But having ot buy each individual track on here is a pain in the ass, so i probably wouldn't.

funny how the world has evolved. i used to get up and drive to a record store to buy music, now i can't even bother to click 10 songs.

I think it's useful feedback none the less.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

rbro

Post by rbro » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:43 pm

tempus3r wrote:
rbro wrote:Excellent! You'll be my first customer. Just think of all the future fame and notoriety you can claim :D

1) It is hard to want something called "atomic skunk". sounds painful. not something to buy. if this music had a different name it would have a much broader market.

2) I like all of your tracks but buying them is a pain. If i could click one button and buy all of them as a release. I totally would. But having ot buy each individual track on here is a pain in the ass, so i probably wouldn't.

funny how the world has evolved. i used to get up and drive to a record store to buy music, now i can't even bother to click 10 songs.

I appreciate it. Eventually when I have a few more tracks together, I will compile them into some type of CD release. I've got 8 tracks right now (although it's about an hour of music), but I figure when I've got about 12 tracks, then I can try and sell that for like $9.99 and the individual tracks at .99, that way there's some incentive to buy the album. This was the first time I ever even thought of selling this music, but I liked the "pay what you think is fair" approach of bandcamp and it was so easy to set up. In terms of the name, I wanted to go with "Painful Rectal Itch", but it had already been used. :wink:

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:03 pm

rbro wrote:
tempus3r wrote:

I appreciate it. Eventually when I have a few more tracks together, I will compile them into some type of CD release. I've got 8 tracks right now (although it's about an hour of music), but I figure when I've got about 12 tracks, then I can try and sell that for like $9.99 and the individual tracks at .99, that way there's some incentive to buy the album. This was the first time I ever even thought of selling this music, but I liked the "pay what you think is fair" approach of bandcamp and it was so easy to set up. In terms of the name, I wanted to go with "Painful Rectal Itch", but it had already been used. :wink:
Oh, "Atomic Skunk" is not so bad..you have to think of it in the abstract. How about "Scraping Foetus off the Wheel"? Of course, not that they achieved any great financial success...
I didn't see anywhere where bandcamp was at all drive-by friendly; ie, there was no reasonable way to browse it. All the releases were at one level. So there was no way to narrow the genre at all.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

rbro

Post by rbro » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:31 pm

rasputin wrote: I didn't see anywhere where bandcamp was at all drive-by friendly; ie, there was no reasonable way to browse it. All the releases were at one level. So there was no way to narrow the genre at all.
That's true, that's the downside of it. Hopefully that will improve over time.

johanze

My tunes are up there too

Post by johanze » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:29 am

Our tunes are up there now too :

http://ranrun.bandcamp.com

Any feedback appreciated!

Pete.
-------------------------------
pete@petejonesmusic.com
composer/sounddesigner

jasefos

Re: My tunes are up there too

Post by jasefos » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:09 pm

johanze wrote:Our tunes are up there now too :

http://ranrun.bandcamp.com

Any feedback appreciated!

Pete.
Why do you care about feedback?
Just make more music and continue on your current trajectory ...
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

rbro

Post by rbro » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:02 pm

Can anyone recommend similar services that make it easy to upload and sell your tracks in a similar fashion?

spiral

Re: OT: Selling your music on BandCamp

Post by spiral » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:42 pm

is there something about bandcamp.com you dont like?

rbro

Post by rbro » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:55 pm

spiral wrote:is there something about bandcamp.com you dont like?
Yeah, it's not "Drive-By" friendly. It's very limited in terms of what you can do wrt designing and tweaking your page. It would be nice if it included some of the "fan management" type features that sites like reverbnation etc. do. Overall though I'm pretty happy with it I must say.

spiral

Post by spiral » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:22 am

true but you can always embed their player into your own website , to handle playback and payment
and they now have a mailing list too