CIRCLE VS ALCHEMY VS OPERATOR - Xmas cash gotta go somewhere

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:56 am

Hi just bought Alchemy.. And I must say it's f**king nuts!! 8O and very deep 8O 8O

Operator is a great synth too, but I don't really like fiddling with it because of the UI, I just don't find it that inspiring visually.. sonically though is a different matter. It can produce really nice sounds, but needs to be racked up with effects to come to life..

Haven't tried Circle..

Im nothing of a synthesis expert in fact I'm a total novice really.. but if you like me, want some pretty useful sounding presets, in an 'open' friendly UI that lets you see what you're tweaking, and above all GREAT sounding, out of your list I would definitely go with Alchemy... As for others in that category I would say Sylenth and then Zebra.

BTW over at KVR forum I think there are a couple of deals going on for Cameleon 5000 and CamelPhat and CamelSpace in the market place.. If you were to pick up either Phat/Space or Cameleon 5000 you could get Alchemy at a 50% crossgrade discount..

Anyways hope this helps.. good luck :wink:

Hd

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:03 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Zebra 2 or Alchemy. The others are limited sonically, yet with interesting or easy interfaces. If that helps you out, fine, but the two that have a lot of flexibility are Zebra and Alchemy.
It's true. These two synths together offer just about kind of synthesis there is:
VA Subtractive, Wavetable, FM, AM, Physical Modeling, Additive, Granular, Phase Vocoder (Spectral)...

A good pair. Each has what the other doesn't.
I know, I would really like to play around with Alchemy, but no demo yet, which is probably a good thing. :?

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:10 am

Machinesworking wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Zebra 2 or Alchemy. The others are limited sonically, yet with interesting or easy interfaces. If that helps you out, fine, but the two that have a lot of flexibility are Zebra and Alchemy.
It's true. These two synths together offer just about kind of synthesis there is:
VA Subtractive, Wavetable, FM, AM, Physical Modeling, Additive, Granular, Phase Vocoder (Spectral)...

A good pair. Each has what the other doesn't.
I know, I would really like to play around with Alchemy, but no demo yet, which is probably a good thing. :?
Man, and when you get get yer hands on it that's exactly what you'll do!
I'm really enjoying discovering what it can do.. Those tutorial vids have really helped a lot also :wink:

Hd

condra

Post by condra » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:58 am

CIrcle sucks IMO.

I love Operator, Zebra, and Sylenth.

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:56 am

ok.. cheers chaps..

not a great positive for circle then.. why quite so negative ?
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

j2j

Post by j2j » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:28 am

edit,,,,,,,

too harsh........

For what it is, Circle is just plain over-priced.....
too many lasers...

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:53 pm

And way to cpu hungry.

Geebag

Post by Geebag » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:11 pm

As usual I would go for zebra 2

Keddy

Post by Keddy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:45 pm

nobbystylus wrote:not a great positive for circle then.. why quite so negative ?
As an example of the cpu intensity, I loaded one of the included patches for I want to say an 808 snare and it would MAX OUT on circle's cpu meter. I love circle's interface, but yeah, it has a tendency to get a bit out of hand. And imagine wanting to run multiple instances of it...

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:02 pm

j2j wrote:edit,,,,,,,

too harsh........

For what it is, Circle is just plain over-priced.....
I happen to like Circle myself. It's a quick and easy synth to get good things happening with- plus, you can load your own wavetables. The voice filter's handy and the feedback's a really nice feature.

CPU usage- yeah, it is high, without a doubt. As far as the price goes, you're also paying for future developmental costs. I want to see Circle grow up, so I think the price while in the high side isn't that far out of line.

I also have Alchemy- as people here have said, it's a wonderful synth/sample mangler/what have you.

ew

j2j

Post by j2j » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:07 pm

ewistrand wrote:As far as the price goes, you're also paying for future developmental costs. I want to see Circle grow up, so I think the price while in the high side isn't that far out of line.
I can understand that. But I am sure I can find plenty of people who agree, the synth is slightly overpriced. Any company run well, will factor in profit, marketing, development and research costs past, present, and future, that is not so odd. What seems odd, is that many of todays companies, be them financial, entertainment, medical, auto, and others, want to pass on extraneous costs to the consumer.

I'm not sure what about Circle needs to warrant this cost, when compared to comparably priced software synths. Maybe I'll demo it again and change my mind.

If I had a 50,000 dollar music budget, I'd probably be just as much as a tight ass with my dollar as I am today. I grew up, extremely middle of the road, for Midtown Manhattan. In my early 20s, just out of college, I was really flush with cash, job prospects, and what looked to be a nice promising future.

I can not remember a time in my life, where I have had to juggle cash, and budget my money as I have had to do over the last two - three years. The economy, company contracts, work, real estate, ( of which I was left a bit when my Mom passed ), have really been hard on me.

When the economy returns, if the economy returns, or my own personal economy starts to look better; and thankfully it has perked up a little, I will be a very changed guy. I will never spend money the way I learned to spend it growing up in NYC. I will never spend money the way I did a year or two out of college in my early 20s. I wont be a miser, but for me, my own personal ideas about consumerism have changed greatly over the last two years. I have a very strict way about me now. I have a very high threshold, before I spend my cash on something.
ewistrand wrote: I also have Alchemy- as people here have said, it's a wonderful synth/sample mangler/what have you.

ew

Ok.

I had some questions, I had some thoughts, I had some objections. And I got my head bitten off, because I dared to voice them. Whatever I said, whatever I thought, I'm still interested in doing a demo, and maybe purchasing the synth.

Now, I haven't gone back to read the thread, cause I don't want the headache, but take a look at this locked thread.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236908

^--- This is an example. I am not the guy who got banned, and I am using this thread as an example, to show that what I have said about alchemy was not that crazy.

Whatever it was I said on Alchemy, I didn't get banned for, I didn't try to hide it. I guess I must have made comments, that were pretty in line with, "questions, concerns somebody might have before buying something." Despite the communities intolerance for those who may think differently.

On software in general:

I bought

1) Tracktion 3, which was so buggy on my system I couldn't even use it. I remember those months, where I saved up to buy Ableton live.

2) Nexus, a product that is completely missrepresented, one that I uninstalled within two weeks of owning, from a company that has accused me of fraud. ( REFX, gimme a fucking break. If I lived in Germany I would file a complaint with the consumer organizations. )

3) CronoX, RM4, Recycle, Traktor DJ, and I hardly use these things. I could so easily do without them.

4) Predator, I decided it was too digitally harsh for me, Numerology decided it was too confusing. I've traded them both for other softwares.

Why do I need to rush out and by a synthesizer? Furthermore, how do you expect me to buy a synthesizer without asking several questions?

Recently I bought Sugar Bytes Unique, and the Consequence. Unique I downloaded and reinstalled that demo 3 or 4 times over the last 3 months, and Consequence, I've wanted something like that for years. You may remember when I posted on the Virsyn forums about a step sequencer.

Maybe I am just a weird guy, but I don't need, nor want, a lot of technology for my music. If I had $2,000 dollars to blow right now. I'd buy an awesome pair of monitors.

I have no plans to rush to buy any more software. If I see something I like, and I am interested, you can make a safe bet, I will have questions, objections, and will think long and hard about a purchase.

Cheers Mate
Last edited by j2j on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
too many lasers...

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Sylenth1 has a group buy, if you're in the VA market.
Image Image Image Image

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:32 pm

So... ur rage-mastah?

:lol:

I never saw the original post.

I'm neutral about Alchemy until I can try it. There seems to be this crazy feeding frenzy over it...

Like from the hype, you just know you have to have it!

Cronox 2 is also really good sample synth actually. Does really easy time stretching and AM/FM of one sample against another...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:37 pm

BTW - Once I got on the wrong side of KVR for sticking up for WilliamK when he was going a little nuts on marketing schemes, which he does - but also makes a damn fine wave sequencing sample synth. KVR ppl were all saying I WAS William and cussing me out & shit.

Another time I got into shit with WhiteRabbit (jackass) just because I was asking for help with NRPN MSB/LSB conversions (which I still don't understand, but have some free programs to help with). He was basically calling me an idiot for not being able to understand the process...

Ahhhh.... interwebs.....
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

j2j

Post by j2j » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:37 pm

Kodama wrote:So... ur rage-mastah?

:lol:

Yes kvr is filled with jackasses. The rabbitt, OMFG...

No, I am not rage-mastah....

I was using that thread as an example, sorry I caused confusion. I made a completely different post, in a totally different thread, and I said nothing wrong.

I don't know who got banned, but it was not me. Sorry for the confusion on this point...

I don't know what the original Rage-Mastah post was... I'm terribly curious though....
too many lasers...