no shortcut for record enabling a track?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bob123

no shortcut for record enabling a track?

Post by bob123 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:56 am

have checked the manual.... it doesnt say...or im missing it.

for example...i select track...and i wanna use qwerty keys to get sound.... so you need to press that red record arm button....

and how about solo.....track solo.....is there a shortcut for that?

cheers.

(mac OSX)

ubermnd

Post by ubermnd » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:04 am

dont know if there's an official wan but its easy enough to make your own. click 'key' (top right) highlight the arm button and whack the key of your choice. smashing.

bob123

Post by bob123 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:39 am

ubermnd wrote:dont know if there's an official wan but its easy enough to make your own. click 'key' (top right) highlight the arm button and whack the key of your choice. smashing.
thanks....but i jsut tried that....and i can do it....but it only arms that one specific track..... i want like a genreal record shortcut......so which ever track ive selected..... i can hit record enable with the shortcut...... and the selected track gets armed......can i do this? that would be smashin

ubermnd

Post by ubermnd » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:44 am

quite drunk and only wrote what occurred from my somewhat tiny memory. i don't think there is a generic arm track kbsc. you could repeat the aforementioned idea with different keys and save to your template liveset thus always having specific key short cuts whenever you start a project? or just get arthritis like the rest of us. :)

btw, you can assign the same key to every track if you want.

bob123

Post by bob123 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:12 am

ubermnd wrote:quite drunk and only wrote what occurred from my somewhat tiny memory. i don't think there is a generic arm track kbsc. you could repeat the aforementioned idea with different keys and save to your template liveset thus always having specific key short cuts whenever you start a project? or just get arthritis like the rest of us. :)

btw, you can assign the same key to every track if you want.
lol that animation is awsome!!!!!!
yeah man im getting pain in wrists.... from computer......always like it when mouse is kept to an absolute minimum.

buy assigning the same key to all the track....puts them all in record arm mode.... i want just the selected one .....to get armed......

not a major issue.....just wondered.

cheerio ol chap

ubermnd

Post by ubermnd » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:20 am

yeah, i think saving a range of separate keys to the template is the way forward. i agree tho, there should be a command for the highlighted track only. wud make tings more splendid.

bob123

Post by bob123 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:44 am

ubermnd wrote:yeah, i think saving a range of separate keys to the template is the way forward. i agree tho, there should be a command for the highlighted track only. wud make tings more splendid.
a diff shortcut for each track? screw that....... i never know how many tracks i want or need..... i might try it later..... i dont even think pro tools has a short cut for arming a track..... when purely software interfacing....logic is sweet... for shortcuts.... oh so sweet.... maybe quickeys has an answer.....

but even if record arming was a menu option in abelton...... leopard osx could make a shortcut for it.......but its not an option from menu in ableton....its just the button......

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:11 am

it's strange that there is no keyboard shortcut for this.
But it's possible with certain midi controllers (my faderfox does it)

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:15 am

Yep,

Most midi controllers allow this so there must be a way I guess?

Is it possible to do the same (keyboard shortcut) for 'solo' tracks

Cheers
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

Warminstrel

Post by Warminstrel » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:19 am

BCR2k + Mackie emulation = :)

bob123

Post by bob123 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:08 pm

yeah im sure external control surfaces can do it.....

but im talking qwerty here .......

and also......is there no where to write notes in a set???
somewhere to make some notes on something? ....eg..some extra info, or some idea to try later.....

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:44 pm

Use a MIDI Translator to translate a qwerty key to the following MIDI meassage
90 00 7f
This will arm the currently selected track

gjm

Post by gjm » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:30 pm

bendybones wrote:Use a MIDI Translator to translate a qwerty key to the following MIDI meassage
90 00 7f
This will arm the currently selected track
Sorry for the new user questions.

What is a MIDI translator?

So if you assign a key stroke to give a certain MIDI message, how is it remembered in the bigger picture? Is it set specific, or more universal, I mean every time you open Live, or any DAW your querty keys will deliver the same MIDI message?

I too have been looking at this specific action of arming the selected track. I am happy to assign individual key strokes using the K'board mapping button for now, but it would be nice to know a little bit more about this work around.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:10 am

A MIDI translator is a program that translates MIDI.
ie keystroke to MIDI or MIDI to keystroke etc

Try 'Bome's MIDI Translator' (bome.com).
OS X version is still in beta but soon will have keystroke to MIDI .
Otherwise hit google for a MIDI translation program for OS X.

Most of these apps will work the similarly and are easy to get to grips with.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:13 pm

yep... use a translator to send mackie control to a virtual midi port...

http://home.comcast.net/~robbowers11/MCMap.htm