Where (Some) Music is Going

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FlightPlan

Where (Some) Music is Going

Post by FlightPlan » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:24 am

Interesting read - marketing takes up the slack for lost album sales & what this could mean:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/arts/ ... &ref=music

kpa

Post by kpa » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:18 pm

interesting read, but i think there is a bit of ignorance to the whole concept of making music to get sync'd to adverts etc.
most itunes advert music becomes mainstream after the advert airs, as does most advert music period. (jose gonzalez another good example). probably most people whose job it is to sync music to their clients music are always looking for new tracks that are kind of unknown by the mainstream as it makes a bigger impact if it is not in the public conciousness.

as for making tracks/altering/editing so they are in line with what advertisers may want, i would expect that most people who make music cos they want to create music or make art or make something meaningful will not do that, as it detracts from what you are doing, but if you can get 25 grand for no effort from a song that you have already let go, then why would you turn it down?

syncing music is the future if you want to make money/have a music career/ break into the industry (imo). exposure, no promotional activity, a big cheque, whats not to love? i have made a few tracks recently that i have thought "these are syncable", and instead of sticking them on myspace or whatever, i will send them to 2 dj's here in the uk, maybe 5 or 6 record label a&r's, and a handful or industy big names, and then a load of ad agency's, sync agency's as if the agency's pick it up, then i would say that that is more beneficial than a deal with a small label/self releasing. if i dont get a response then i will keep them secret for a year until i get back from china and can start a band to plug them myself.
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha