NAMM 1/15/09

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:12 pm

I'd love to see an integrated Rane/Serato mixer (built on an MP44 or Empath perhaps?) with another channel or two, maybe with another USB port. They wouldn't even have to be "Serato channels" and I'd be happy.

My guess is that the Rane/Serato collaboration is going to let you use Ableton as an internally-routed FX processor for the two deck channels, and that Ableton's output will be routable to a 3rd Serato channel or something like that for loops and drops.

I don't think that "SerAbleton v1" will allow vinyl control of Ableton clips, as it seems that the Ableton engine is not designed -- and certainly not up to snuff -- for the kind of heavy-duty playpoint manipulation that goes on with DVS systems. (I would LOVE to be proven wrong here though!)

rs

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:16 pm

Homebelly wrote:
Poster wrote:
Homebelly wrote: there is a beta, and i think the original works under Rosetta.
Both have issues.
Right now i'm using my G5, but it would be nice to be able to use a fully working, bug free version on my lap top 8)
I still use the dirty OS9>OSX port of the NM1 editor on 10.5.6 8)
The beta for the G2 works great, there are just a couple of annoying bugs.
One is that the right click to bring up the help menu/info dialogue for each module doesn't work, another is that the editor will lose contact with the G2 every once in a while which, at least for me, requires a shut down and reboot of the whole computer. :cry:
from my experience Clavia isn't that fast with their software development..
which is really bad when you're selling hardware that is totally dependent on software..
its a shame that they didn't do a proper OSX version back then as a last attempt to support the NM1..

if I remember well there wasn't even a Mac version of the G2 available when the G2 was launched?

the Nord Modular is actually a pretty tricky product to buy into.. you'll never know when it becomes obsolete..

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:27 pm

Poster wrote: the Nord Modular is actually a pretty tricky product to buy into.. you'll never know when it becomes obsolete..
excessive use of the word obsolete. There's nothing tricky about buying a nord modular, you get what you pay for. It will continue to function as advertised for years well beyond the launch of the G3.
spreader of butter

ophidite

New Spectralis

Post by ophidite » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:55 pm

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:59 pm

b0unce wrote:
Poster wrote: the Nord Modular is actually a pretty tricky product to buy into.. you'll never know when it becomes obsolete..
excessive use of the word obsolete. There's nothing tricky about buying a nord modular, you get what you pay for. It will continue to function as advertised for years well beyond the launch of the G3.
sure.. a NM will never become fully obsolete since you can always play it..

but with such a price tag you'd expect to get a bit more support..
not sure which adds you read but I think Clavia could've never guessed the OS9 editor still runs on the current MacOS.. barely..
next Mac system probably kills it..

they did a dirty port for the OS9 editor so it 'could' run on OSX.. but it sucks.. a 6 year life span for a 2500,- synth.. great!
as I said.. tricky business..

but eay.. I love it..

j2j

Re: New Spectralis

Post by j2j » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:06 pm

Yep, that looks hot.
too many lasers...

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:50 pm

I guess you have to keep an old computer (or emulator) around if you expect to use 1st party software editors forever...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

condra

Post by condra » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:24 am

1 week left

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:38 am

logic_user99 wrote:Korg better not release something cool. 8O

I've just bought an MPC500 and told my fiance that I won't be buying any more music gear for a while... got a wedding to pay for now!
Just do a cheapo wedding and blow the rest on GEAR! 8)