F**K this !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
darkcatt

F**K this !

Post by darkcatt » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:43 pm

I don't think the concept of being able to lease a computer is a bad one, something a lot of large businesses already do but I haven't heard of this happening that much on the individual/consumer level.

This would be especially useful if the only thing you had to own was a hard drive and every couple years you just slap that in a new model computer and off you go.

But I see this working better with Macs because there's just too many PC hardware options and configurations and it would probably be a nightmare and not so "plug-n-play".

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:54 pm

I can't see this taking off. Microsoft have just gone to seed with their recent products and ideas. Vista, Zune and now rental computers with pay as you go.

Jeez, if I used that system, I would be able to afford a Mac Pro octacore tower for what I could spend on a crappy low-medium level Dell in a year or two.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

ava

Post by ava » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:59 pm

Was only a few months back bill gates suggested that patants may be holding back technology? then he files another :lol:

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:28 pm

beats me wrote:But I see this working better with Macs because there's just too many PC hardware options and configurations and it would probably be a nightmare and not so "plug-n-play".
I agree, but not for those reasons. Obviously machines that are being leased out will be just that - "plug and play".

Apple users have already been conditioned for this type of business model through their heavily subsidized iPhones, though ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Machinate wrote:
beats me wrote:But I see this working better with Macs because there's just too many PC hardware options and configurations and it would probably be a nightmare and not so "plug-n-play".
I agree, but not for those reasons. Obviously machines that are being leased out will be just that - "plug and play".

Apple users have already been conditioned for this type of business model through their heavily subsidized iPhones, though ;)
I'm not sure if I am agreeing with you here or disagreeing but Apple has a very limited line of specs and most Mac users aren't even interested in attempting to hotrod their computer, with the possible exception of the Mac Pros.

If I could lease a MBP and just use the same drive but stick it in a new "shell" with slightly better specs every couple years I would be one happy camper. They could even make the total price a little bit higher than buying one outright. People have been doing it with cars for forever.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:00 pm

I've leased a car myself!

Not a bad deal, but what if you fall in love with the car and only need what that one car can do?
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm

weeddigger wrote:I've leased a car myself!

Not a bad deal, but what if you fall in love with the car and only need what that one car can do?
Back up your data, format the drive, and install the OS of your choice

Mac Clone, Linux
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:08 pm

weeddigger wrote:I've leased a car myself!

You can always buy the car when the lease ends, granted for a lot more than if you just started out buying it but the option is there.

But I can't really see this applying to computers unless the newest model is really messed up for your purposes, ie: no firewire port, glossy screen, etc. They could maybe offer an extended lease at a reduced rate if the computer is passed it's prime.

A lot of computers being returned at the end of leases would also mean a lot more computers available to purchase as refurbs, another win. I'm willing to bet there are a huge number of computers just sitting around at people's houses collecting dust that they are keeping just in case but never end up using them ever again.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:21 pm

I have a PC or three sitting in mine!
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

j2j

Post by j2j » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:28 pm

we all have tons of old computers lying around...

:D

However, pay as you go cellphones are really less featured than true ownership cellphone, imho.

I fail to see how this is going to be any different.

It is a way of putting more computers, and more software out there, but it is also pure profit and greed.

My company has some sort of contract with dell. I guess we buy, or lease computers from them. All the computers at work, are out right pathetic in features and ability when compared to my MBP.

Same thing with cellphones. Living in Europe I had a Pay As You Go Nokia. This PAYO Phone, was featureless and far more expensive then the phone I have on contract with Sprint.

Same with rental cars... How many rental cars, work out to be nicer than the one you own?

Sure, you can go rent a luxury car, or and exotic for a day... But that is just so expensive...

Yep, this PAYO computing thing. Profit, greed.
too many lasers...

vicz

Patent this!

Post by vicz » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:44 pm

Fucking microsoft trying to patent its scams now! Patent this next

you scum!