Academic Edition Question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thehuman

Academic Edition Question

Post by thehuman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:26 pm

Hey guys-
Quick question for anyone using an academically acquired version (or anyone who might just know).

I'm curious to know when the proof of academic status comes into play. i.e. do I provide it when I place the order, or is the check done on Ableton's side, when I go to install & authorize it?

I guess I'm really just concerned to know if I am going to need to have my ID ready on hand when I go to install it and everything, just so I don't get left somewhere with my laptop, unable to install.

Thanks!

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:57 pm

I ordered mine straight from Ableton. E-mailed them a scan of my university ID and called them a few hours later to finish the deal. Cake.

.m

thehuman

Post by thehuman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:54 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:I ordered mine straight from Ableton. E-mailed them a scan of my university ID and called them a few hours later to finish the deal. Cake.

.m
Hmm... Interesting. My only concern is that the one I am looking is a retail boxed version, and I don't know if the requirement for academic status comes at the point of sale or during installation. Any idea?

the_woof

Post by the_woof » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:10 pm

I ordered from Sweetwater, sent my sales engineer a scan of my ID and got the discount.

So it happens at point of sale.
djsynchro wrote:For a female vocal try companding a mid-side encoded signal with a ratio of around 18:2 at around 2.5k, possibly a lower ratio if the source is very sibilant.
my music

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:19 pm

thehuman wrote:
Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:I ordered mine straight from Ableton. E-mailed them a scan of my university ID and called them a few hours later to finish the deal. Cake.

.m
Hmm... Interesting. My only concern is that the one I am looking is a retail boxed version, and I don't know if the requirement for academic status comes at the point of sale or during installation. Any idea?
I also ordered a boxed version. You need to provide your proof at time of sale in any case.

.m

thehuman

Post by thehuman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:09 pm

Okay. Thanks for the info, gents (or ladies...). Much appreciated!

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:52 pm

The easiest and fastest way is to print the academic application form from the website, scan your picture ID and fax it to them.

You can also e-mail and attach scans. This was also a quick turn around time, but the fax was even quicker.

This form doubles as a purchase form, so unless your status is rejected, they send you a confirmation e-mail with serial numbers etc.

Very quick easy and simple.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.