Looping on the fly (IN and OUT)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mugtree

Looping on the fly (IN and OUT)

Post by mugtree » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi.

When playing out on CDJs you can hit the loop buttons and instantly loop 2, 4, 6 or 8 bars. Or you can hit IN and OUT and loop manually.

Can you do this in ableton? As in, just hit one button to start a loop and hit another to end the loop?

I have been playing around with ableton for a few months now and have midi controllers but can't seem to work out how to do it.

Any thoughts much appreciated. George

stonee

Re: Looping on the fly (IN and OUT)

Post by stonee » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:50 pm

mugtree wrote:Hi.

When playing out on CDJs you can hit the loop buttons and instantly loop 2, 4, 6 or 8 bars. Or you can hit IN and OUT and loop manually.

Can you do this in ableton? As in, just hit one button to start a loop and hit another to end the loop?

I have been playing around with ableton for a few months now and have midi controllers but can't seem to work out how to do it.

Any thoughts much appreciated. George

i dont think you can set bar lenghths, but you can do loop in/out.

for my djing:
I=in
O= out
P=loop on/off

if you assign your mapping to one clip, it affects whatever clip you have selected.

mugtree

Post by mugtree » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:38 pm

Cheers stonee!

Thats great. I have worked out how to reduce the length of the loop so i can make it smaller and smaller to create a build up affect. But i can only reduce by 1 increment at a time, any idea how to reduce it in more detail and so creating an even more dramatic build up. Hope that makes sense!

stonee

Post by stonee » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:46 pm

mugtree wrote:Cheers stonee!

Thats great. I have worked out how to reduce the length of the loop so i can make it smaller and smaller to create a build up affect. But i can only reduce by 1 increment at a time, any idea how to reduce it in more detail and so creating an even more dramatic build up. Hope that makes sense!
unfortunatly, there's no easy way i can think of doing this. when you assign your controller to your loop end position, you can set it to do a bar, a beat, or half beat. you could try messing around with global quantization as well.