it's been 4 days since my last smoke

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:02 am

Good job John! I hope you make it all the way!
kpa wrote:yeah good luck and stuff, but i dont get people who make such a big deal of giving up smoking. I know a few people who have just stopped. One was told by a doctor that they had to stop and they never had another one.

my theory is that it all depends on our subconcious. If your subconcious decides that you have to stop then you can stop. if really, you subconciously dont want to stop, then it be difficult and one will struggle. All depends on how you came to the decision, if its life or death then you (not the OP, but one in general) could stop, but if oneis getting nagged about smoking by someone, there will be a part of them that thinks 'fuck them, i wanna do it, dont tell me what to do...'

but i dont know what i am talking about, i just smoke some green, and so i do it when i have some, when i dont i dont, i dont get cravings or anything.

btw, this is just my 2c, not meant to wind you up or anything. good luck.
I agree with your theory. You can't fool your subconscious! It's like my cousin who's girlfriend tells him to stop drinking. He does for a few days, is all about it, then starts drinking again. I know there is also the physical addiction factor but if you are consciously and subconsciously ready and able to quit you can and will. ( I just used and 3 times there, did that work?)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:07 am

liveISlife wrote:Good job John! I hope you make it all the way!
kpa wrote:yeah good luck and stuff, but i dont get people who make such a big deal of giving up smoking. I know a few people who have just stopped. One was told by a doctor that they had to stop and they never had another one.

my theory is that it all depends on our subconcious. If your subconcious decides that you have to stop then you can stop. if really, you subconciously dont want to stop, then it be difficult and one will struggle. All depends on how you came to the decision, if its life or death then you (not the OP, but one in general) could stop, but if oneis getting nagged about smoking by someone, there will be a part of them that thinks 'fuck them, i wanna do it, dont tell me what to do...'

but i dont know what i am talking about, i just smoke some green, and so i do it when i have some, when i dont i dont, i dont get cravings or anything.

I agree with your theory. You can't fool your subconscious! It's like my cousin who's girlfriend tells him to stop drinking. He does for a few days, is all about it, then starts drinking again. I know there is also the physical addiction factor but if you are consciously and subconsciously ready and able to quit you can and will. ( I just used and 3 times there, did that work?)
I agree with him but only a little, if you really want to do something you will. that part is true. but he's making it seem like if you really want to do it it won't be a big deal.

of course you'd expect someone who isn't addicted to something say "whats the big deal?"
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:20 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
liveISlife wrote:Good job John! I hope you make it all the way!

I agree with him but only a little, if you really want to do something you will. that part is true. but he's making it seem like if you really want to do it it won't be a big deal.

of course you'd expect someone who isn't addicted to something say "whats the big deal?"
lol exactly. That's true too. If you never had an addiction you really can't speak about it like that. Yet addiction also vastly varies for different people. For some people quitting something really is not a big deal and they can just do it on the fly( o shoot, ableton terminology!) And for some they really have to struggle to quit, if they even can quit that is.. I read somewhere that some peoples body's breakdown and eliminate the addictive substances faster than others so that is why it is so easy for some to just quit stuff whenever.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:24 am

lol exactly. That's true too. If you never had an addiction you really can't speak about it like that. Yet addiction also vastly varies for different people. For some people quitting something really is not a big deal and they can just do it on the fly( o shoot, ableton terminology!) And for some they really have to struggle to quit, if they even can quit that is.. I read somewhere that some peoples body's breakdown and eliminate the addictive substances faster than others so that is why it is so easy for some to just quit stuff whenever.
right,

i started smoking when i was 12
i first tried to quit when i was 16
i finally quit when i was 35 (a bit over a year ago)

now i've exposed myself to plenty of other addictive chemicals but smoking was the only one that i have ever been addicted to. i know i can never have another cig or i'll start again... smoking is a bitch lol

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:05 pm

been smoking daily for 12 years (1 pack a day on average)

it's been a whole MONTH now since I stopped smoking cigs...
(mind you I've been hitting the weed pretty hard as a side-effect...)

it's amazing how hooked I am ...still...

these are some of the occasions I found myself 'needing' a smoke..
morning coffee ,
on the phone,
waiting ,
when I'm stressed,
when I'm bored,
when I'm pissed off,
when it's chilly outside,
after eating,
when I'm rendering stuff,
after sex,
drinking alcohol,
on party weekends,
after using the public transport,
when I'm driving,
on meetings,
basically...whenver I can get a break....

today ...at work...I was weak and bought a pack...smoked a few (4)...
this narrator/actor girl ...really pissed me off....
(needless to say...there was much satisfaction in those smokes....)

pretty mad and disgusted at myself for it...
after the thrill was gone...I was left with the stench of it...
it's amazing that as a smoker you become numb to that stench...
now...I love to smoke...
but...I made a promise to myself to quit before I'm 30...
and it's coming up pretty soon...
and I've been postponing it for years...
but this time I really WANT to quit...

I found that keeping myself busy ALL THE TIME is the trick for me...
I hope I can make this detox last...
I'm trying really hard ...
I can't believe how hard it is... (Cigarettes are the fucking devil)
also... I've inspired 2 of my buddies to try and stop as well...
(one is at 2 weeks, the other at 3)
which is a very good thing...