even more off-topic. . . the U.S. RAVE act!!?!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
memetic

even more off-topic. . . the U.S. RAVE act!!?!

Post by memetic » Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:45 pm

no joke, saw this on msnbc . . .

<quote>

"This bill is a serious threat to civil liberties, freedom of speech and the right to dance."
Look out, Congress: The ravers are coming.
"We're offended by the fact they're blackballing an entire musical genre," said Amanda Huie, checking senators' names off her list Tuesday afternoon.
The genre in question is electronic dance music, which fans enjoy at all-night parties called raves. Legislation in Congress could hold promoters responsible if people attending the events use illegal drugs such as Ecstasy, the party drug frequently associated with raves.

</quote>

The Bill is called the "Reducing Americans' Vulnerability to Ecstasy Act of 2002" - or the RAVE Act. unbelievable!!!

the whole story:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/782128.asp

::| m e m e t i c |::

jory

Post by jory » Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:36 pm

Yeah this sh*t is really scary. If you live in the U.S. go to http://www.emdef.org/ and write to your senators.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

neuronaut

sic

Post by neuronaut » Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:30 pm

THEY are afraid. But they are taking it out on MUSIC! This won't stop drug use or music or parties... BUT IT WILL PROGRAM US ALL TO BE AFRAID WHEN WE DO! Music is one of my only outlets, and this movement promises to make it hard if not impossible for any group of people to get together and listen. They are making everything from bottled water (us Hominoids need water!) to glow sticks contraband! They consider a large sound system and a box of records to be INTENT TO PARTY!!!! Oh my, big brother IS REALLY PISSIN ME OFF!!!!

Music must live on!
Last edited by neuronaut on Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rx

Post by Rx » Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:44 pm

The government's War on Drugs has been a spectacular failure. It's pathetic that the US still believes in prohibition when its own history has proven the uselessness of that policy. Progressive countries around the world (UK, Australia, Czech Republic, etc) are considering decriminalization as an alternative, yet the fools running this country insist that incarcerating its people is the best policy. I suppose this attitude can be explained by the fact that at its root, this country was founded Puritans and seems to be run by them to this day.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

URBAN777

THE BAN

Post by URBAN777 » Sat Aug 03, 2002 11:41 pm

:roll:

I MUST AGREE WITH WHATS SAID IT IS SCARY TO THINK THAT THIS CAN BE DONE WITHOUT ANY VOTE, WHATS NEXT THEY PICK THE MUSIC WE CAN LISTEN TO :0(
IT HAPPENED OVER HERE WAY BACK 89 WHEN ACID HOUSE ALL STARTED THE BRITTISH GOVERMENT BROUGHT OUT SOME LAW BANNING OUTDOOR PARTIES
MUSIC DOSE NOT HAVE TO MEAN DRUGS BANNING IS NOT THE WAY FOWARD EDUCATIONS IS KEY AND PEOPLE TO BE ALLOWED TO EXPRESS THEMSELFS FREELY
I WILL ALWAYS MAKE DANCE MUSIC
URBAN777 :lol:

metrognome32

rave on e

Post by metrognome32 » Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:36 pm

Next the RIAA will get involved and try to charge dj's to play records to a mass due to copyright issues. Suckers, do they really think they have any control here? Besides, the US gov't makes $ from drugs being illegal, no motivation for them to wise up.

Sorry to go off topic.

-gnome
www.azsessions.com
'free the music, eliminate the RIAA'