-

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:07 pm

handy acronyms:

GFY (go fuck yourself)
DIAF (die in a fire)
ESAD (eat shit and die)
UtB (Unleash the Badgers)
SOADLYS (suck off a dog like you're supster)

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

the_woof

Post by the_woof » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:11 pm

Tip for answering noob questions: www.lmgtfy.com

Tip for noobs at search function: go to Google, type in your query and then "site:forum.ableton.com" without the quotes. Google will only show results from this forum.
djsynchro wrote:For a female vocal try companding a mid-side encoded signal with a ratio of around 18:2 at around 2.5k, possibly a lower ratio if the source is very sibilant.
my music

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:13 pm

ollyb303 wrote:I like the easy questions - it means I can actually answer them and give something back to a forum that has helped me out a lot.

I do generally include a subtle reference to the manual when appropriate though!

I will gladly continue to help any n00bs I can.

And post rubbish when I'm drunk/high!
+1

Plus I don't like it when people try to take ownership of a forum by declaring what they think are the rules.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:14 pm

ubermnd wrote: Someone else mentioned the utter shiteness of the search facility on this forum anyway. It is bollocks, I can never find anything that way. .
did you read my post?

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:14 pm

serge_a_storms wrote:
ollyb303 wrote:I like the easy questions - it means I can actually answer them and give something back to a forum that has helped me out a lot.

I do generally include a subtle reference to the manual when appropriate though!

I will gladly continue to help any n00bs I can.

And post rubbish when I'm drunk/high!
+1

Plus I don't like it when people try to take ownership of a forum by declaring what they think are the rules.
Quite.

5rings

Post by 5rings » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:20 pm

8O wrote:
5rings wrote:Good point. I hadn't thought about the possibility that they were unable to find answers due to difficulties with searching.
Did you search for this possibility on the forum before posting? :wink:

I reckon the most common question on here, from new and experienced users alike, is: what soundcard/headphones/monitors should I buy? And while a search helps, many people have their own set of budget, spec, space requirements which make it worthwhile asking again.
Hahaha! I DID think of doing such a search! But I had my own diatribe to expell, making it worthwhile (maybe :wink:) to state again :lol:
5rings.us

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:21 pm

5rings wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote:This sentence is like a loop:

use your head please. You will advance a lot faster if you take my advice. You also won't be stuck wondering why no one is answering your question,

If they ask a question that has been asked a million times, chances are good they will be ignored or get told RTFM. If they use their head, and look around they will probably find the answer. If they can't, that is the time to ask the forums. Is that unreasonable? The people I am discussing are the ones who don't bother to find out if the question has been answered already, and come straight to the forums, when I know for a fact that the question HAS been answered in the manual, in the forums, and on remix.com, futuremusic.com, etc...
Well, what are we going to do about future noobs that may or may not read this thread?

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:06 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
5rings wrote:

use your head please. You will advance a lot faster if you take my advice. You also won't be stuck wondering why no one is answering your question,

If they ask a question that has been asked a million times, chances are good they will be ignored or get told RTFM. If they use their head, and look around they will probably find the answer. If they can't, that is the time to ask the forums. Is that unreasonable? The people I am discussing are the ones who don't bother to find out if the question has been answered already, and come straight to the forums, when I know for a fact that the question HAS been answered in the manual, in the forums, and on remix.com, futuremusic.com, etc...
Well, what are we going to do about future noobs that may or may not read this thread?
rtfm

5rings

Post by 5rings » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
5rings wrote:

Idk. I tend to think there isn't a solution, because generally any sticky or whatever is inherently going to be ignored. But I may be being pessimistic. Maybe a sticky that says something like LIVE NOOBS CLICK HERE!!!! :) might work. And include everybody's tips on how to find answers (search engines, whatever) Also, just for the record, I have never told anyone RTFM, or anything of the sort. This was not an attempt to troll, and I had no agenda other than to vent a bit, and maybe encourage some to do independant research before starting a new topic.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:26 pm

I think it's odd though...I mean what is the actual problem with people posting the same thing? Someone always helps right?

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:33 pm

UKRuss wrote:I think it's odd though...I mean what is the actual problem with people posting the same thing? Someone always helps right?
Yup.

Another consideration with searcing the forum is that the technology changes all the time. A n00b who searched on (for example) how to set up their faderfox might find a post from a year or so ago and as a result spend time they didn't need to importing all their sets into a faderfox template without realising the units now have native support and work right out of the box.

If they just made a fresh post, they'd get the right, current answer, not old news.

Just an example, but this sort of thing could equally apply to lots of pieces of hard/software, including Live itself.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

ubermnd

Post by ubermnd » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:39 pm

did you read my post?
@Meef Chaloin: I did. Admittedly, I've been coming here for a few years and not used the search function much since the beginning when it would return dozens of pages of results but only let you see the first 50 or so. trying to see the next page would just throw up an error message. It does seem to be fixed now so fair nuff. I still wouldn't blame anyone if they had no luck with it personally.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:56 pm

How can I record to mp3?

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:46 pm

TL;DR all replies.
But to the OP.

Was this post really needed?
Its posts like this that give new forum users the impression that its a mutha funkin troll fest.

GTFO

5rings

Post by 5rings » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:08 pm

funky shit wrote:TL;DR all replies.
But to the OP.

Was this post really needed?
Its posts like this that give new forum users the impression that its a mutha funkin troll fest.

GTFO
K ya know what? I apologize. I will edit out the post, GTFO, and leave it at that. I am not a troll.
5rings.us