-

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mkelly

Post by mkelly » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:28 pm

5rings wrote:K ya know what? I apologize. I will edit out the post, GTFO, and leave it at that. I am not a troll.
Sounds like just the sorta thing a troll would say ;-)
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:34 pm

5rings wrote: I am not a troll.
Ok, but you overestimate the knowledge level at which people start out using a program like Live.

The manual works for some, but not for others. For me the manual was written in an odd way that often leaves me frustrated.

Under "C" in my 6LE index you can find a reference for the "Consolidate Command" but not for the "Crop Command".

Using both the forum search and Google search function brings up approx 90+ threads or links to search through to find an explanation of what "crop" means (assuming there is a detailed explanation of this function somewhere in that list). If I have never used a DAW before and have no understanding of common terminology (the manual also does not have a reference list of common terms), plus I have to fit in my learning time with the rest of my life, its perceived as quicker and easier to post a question on the forum to help get some direction.

Additionally, although there are some people who become frustrated at the level and frequency of noob questions, there are some people who find a little personal satisfaction in answering a question or two, either because they feel its payback for the noob questions they once asked, or because they want to promote the spirit of helpfulness here on this forum. Its a two way street.

Nice self portrait.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller