Lemur Beta 2.0

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Lemur Beta 2.0

Post by ze2be » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:31 pm

For Ableton users that means it is now possible to receive clip names and colours and display them on the Lemur. Any changes in your Live set are automatically reflected on the Lemur. Now you can really put that computer behind you and concentrate on your performance!

OK, I already wanted one but I think from now on it will be my top object of desire in 2009! :D
http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_v20beta.php

My biggest issue is the high price though. Dont want to bring with me such an expensive unit on the types of gigs im playing at..

I wish they would release a cheaper thin touch lcd with usb connection only, and using the engine natively from the pc. Of course it would take up pc resorces, but thats a price im willing to pay!

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:19 am

For the price of a Lemur you can buy 13 iPod touches.

That's just insane.

I own a Lemur. I love it, but I bought it a couple of years ago when there was nothing else out there. Now everyone's doing multitouch work. Check out all this stuff:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/tag/multi-touch/

I have a feeling that if you bought a Lemur now you might not get as much out of it. But if you have the budget, it's cool. I haven't messed with the V2 features much. They took so long to show up (more than a year) that I was kind of sick of them before they happened. We mainly use ours as a VJ controller in Modul8. It's amazing for that.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:26 am

For the price of a Lemur you can buy 13 iPod touches.

That's just insane.
You got a point there.. I could use say 4 ipod touch.. But you cant do that without a lot of third party apps tweaking and geeking between live and the lcd touch. Plus a big screen like lemur looks more practical imho. Waiting for multi touch lcds to hit the consumer marked.. Was hoping for apple, but was disappointed whit the recent news from them. Id bet jazmutant will be the ace for atleast another year. Then perhaps we will see some attempts form apple. And in another year or so when windows 7 is out, there might be low priced consumer multi touch screens mk1 coming out.. lots of bugs etc. A couple more years and its stable..
I own a Lemur. I love it, but I bought it a couple of years ago when there was nothing else out there. Now everyone's doing multitouch work.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/tag/multi-touch/
I saw that, but common! Not every body is doing it!! Its pretty rare still!
I consider iphone just a teaser. But its just a pda. Id be more interested in iphone if it could run Live!
I have a feeling that if you bought a Lemur now you might not get as much out of it. But if you have the budget, it's cool. I haven't messed with the V2 features much. They took so long to show up (more than a year) that I was kind of sick of them before they happened.
I absolutely DONT have the budget.. Thats perhaps why its so desirable.. Would you offer to sell it? :D

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Lemur V2 is a big step up. For sure. Multicolor and Multitext being the top ones for me. Internal scripting is cool, but I prefer to use Max anyway. Max+Lemur+Live is a sweet combo.

.m

holiday

Post by holiday » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:25 pm

[quote="Lo-Fi Massahkah"]Lemur V2 is a big step up. For sure. Multicolor and Multitext being the top ones for me. Internal scripting is cool, but I prefer to use Max anyway. Max+Lemur+Live is a sweet combo.

.m[/quote]

do you do specialization performances with that set up?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:37 pm

But is there ever a chance of this thing coming down in price? Seems to do nothing but go up and yes I know that is thanks to the economy and exchange rate, but I'd also imagine for the same reasons the demand would go way down.

But if there are some compteting products it would be nice if it went down in price and then I would even buy one for the retro cool.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:20 pm

holiday wrote: do you do specialization performances with that set up?
I do special performances in my home studio. :wink: I'm more of a hobbyist geek than a performer.

.m

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:13 pm

Right now the remote zero sl is almost perfect. It does not display clip texts, but it does display macro parameters with your own text, faders and track names, sends, and synths + effects.

Its a bit large, but now that it finally works properly, its rocking!

In a jam or dj situation it could be very nice to have clip names displayed, but at the moment live performance is mainly what I do. I have a system layed out for the clips and scenes equally on each song, so I know what will happen. (breaks, rolls, intos, outros etc)

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:31 am

As for the idea of multiple ipods:

Yout did try itouchmidi? The screen just so damn small and using multiple screens is not an option. If you are really planning to buy a Lemur, make sure you like to touch a screen instead of a physical fader. Don't get me wrong, I love my Lemur, but I'm thinking about getting a seperate controller for the faders.

Edit: I read you're planning to use it only for clip launching? Bit pricy then...? But yes, that works just fine with clip names.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:11 pm

nbinder wrote:As for the idea of multiple ipods:

You did try itouchmidi? The screen just so damn small and using multiple screens is not an option. If you are really planning to buy a Lemur, make sure you like to touch a screen instead of a physical fader. Don't get me wrong, I love my Lemur, but I'm thinking about getting a seperate controller for the faders.

Edit: I read you're planning to use it only for clip launching? Bit pricy then...? But yes, that works just fine with clip names.
Well, I would use it in combination with a pot/fader type controller. Also it could be super sweet to have one in the studio. Maybe two, haha. One for daw controlling, workstation/control surface opperations, and one for synths/effects/clips and scenes. :)

Perhaps by one used some day if the oportunity comes. im not in any hurry.

ipod touch is prob to small yes..

estevan carlos benson

Post by estevan carlos benson » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:13 pm

I'm pretty damn sure with time and a couple iPhones you could build a funny looking alternative.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:14 pm

You don't need two in order to do two tasks, you can switch between interface pages on the device. As you can only look at one Lemur at one time, this is as powerful as having two and turning your head...
Last edited by nbinder on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:15 pm

estevan carlos benson wrote:I'm pretty damn sure with time and a couple iPhones you could build a funny looking alternative.
Funny looking for sure, but really useful..? ;)

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:17 pm

Pretty astounding stuff. My wallet would come to life and shank me in my sleep if I bought one, though.

- Nick

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:25 pm

nbinder wrote:You don't need two in order to do two tasks, you can switch between interface pages on the device. As you can only look at one Lemur at one time, this is as powerful as having two and turning your head...
Well, just for the pimping aspect of it :lol:

But was thinking more in the way dexter + lemur... day dreaming really..