Daft Punk ARE DJs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Are Daft Punk DJs

Poll ended at Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:02 am

yes
47%
no
53%

Total votes: 49

lola

Re: Daft Punk ARE DJs

Post by lola » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:42 pm

teknobryan wrote:
Marx wrote: So, in my book, if you produce the same way a DJ does, and Perform the same way a DJ does, YOU ARE A DJ.
so I guess Mozart was a DJ because he doesn't "perform" his music.
Well,he composed, others played his stuff live

teknobryan

Post by teknobryan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:46 pm

similar to a sequencer playing synths? hmmmm

abort

Post by abort » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:54 pm

yeah, yeah oh shit! That means Skinny Puppy are DJ's since they play pre recorded. Its so silly!

yes they are no their not

and always, always about Draft Punk. "how do they do it" "whats their method" I mean sure some of their stuffs HOT. But Nothing that makes me cream myself every time I hear em.

Mad props go out to the OP for slapping us back into FAN BOY MODE.

or maybe I'm just to reserved, an independent thinker to really give a shit.

ok ...now that said :o me walking away from fire knowing I will get burned severely!

teknobryan

Post by teknobryan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:01 pm

I like their music. I am a fan. I could give a shit if you think I am a "fan boy" or not. the thing is that they are just a high profile example of what alot of us do here with Ableton.

trevorc

Post by trevorc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:04 pm

teknobryan wrote:the thing is that they are just a high profile example of what alot of us do here with Ableton.
and what's more they do it in fancy dress

abort

Post by abort » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:06 pm

teknobryan wrote:I like their music. I am a fan. I could give a shit if you think I am a "fan boy" or not. the thing is that they are just a high profile example of what alot of us do here with Ableton.
True, and good point!

Thats cool, don't think I'm attacking anyone specifically. I'm just being a retard :D

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:28 pm

I'm sorry, but this is a lame thread.

"Musicians" get pissed when joe schmoe lumps "DJ's" in with them

"DJ's" get pissed when you lump in the laptop crowd with them, and get pissed when you don't lump them in with musicians - try telling QBert, or MixMaster Mike, or Radar, or Z-Trip, or DJ Shadow, or Cut Chemist that they aren't musicians.

The laptop guys mash together tracks, match beats, juggle beats, and play instrumental lines on their laptop, bringing them under both the "Musician" and "DJ' label, but neither the "musicians" nor the "dj's" will have them? What a crock.

DJ's, musicians, and laptop DJ's are still artists, though:

it's an art to match beats properly and tastefully
it's an art to maintain a dance floor, keeping it packed and fluid from start to finish of set
it's an art to be able to play instruments properly and smoothly
it's an art to maintain rhythm properly
it's an art to create sounds from entirely different sounds, to take samples and make them fit with samples from other places smoothly and sensibly
it's an art to please the ear and motivate movement, in any sense

If what you do adds up to music, you're a musician

If what you do adds up to art, you're an artist

Why make all of that more complicated with segregation? a lot of these comparisons sound as silly as Israel right now, and granted, they are killing people over it, but fundamentally, it's the same bullshit - "You don't do what I do or follow my belief or come from where I come from, so screw you".

What a bunch of horseshit.
Last edited by last man on earth on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robotsound

Post by robotsound » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:30 pm

daft punk samples, but not nearly as much as you think they do.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:34 pm

last man on earth wrote:I'm sorry, but this is a lame thread.

"Musicians" get pissed when joe schmoe lumps "DJ's" in with them

"DJ's" get pissed when you lump in the laptop crowd with them, and get pissed when you don't lump them in with musicians - try telling QBert, or MixMaster Mike, or Radar, or Z-Trip, or DJ Shadow, or Cut Chemist that they aren't musicians.

The laptop guys mash together tracks, match beats, juggle beats, and play instrumental lines on their laptop, bringing them under both the "Musician" and "DJ' label, but neither the "musicians" nor the "dj's" will have them? What a crock.

DJ's, musicians, and laptop DJ's are still artists, though:

it's an art to match beats properly and tastefully
it's an art to maintain a dance floor, keeping it packed and fluid from start to finish of set
it's an art to be able to play instruments properly and smoothly
it's an art to maintain rhythm properly
it's an art to create sounds from entirely different sounds
it's an art to please the ear and motivate movement, in any sense

If what you do adds up to music, you're a musician

If what you do adds up to art, you're an artist

Why make all of that more complicated with segregation? a lot of these comparisons sound as silly as Israel right now, and granted, they are killing people over it, but fundamentally, it's the same bullshit - "You don't do what I do or follow my belief or come from where I come from, so screw you".

What a bunch of horseshit.
+1
*** Image GAFM ***

abort

Post by abort » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:38 pm

"generally speaking" Sometimes I think that its a self-esteam issue to be repeatedly looking after someone elses Technique as if this was some golden prophecy.

I bet you anything that you yourself has a track ...a track that might fare exceed the technique's and emotional feeling used by any of your favorite producers.

Sorry I'm in a weird mood today I'll just STFU now.

lola

Post by lola » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:18 pm

funky shit wrote:So when im playing live with my laptop and mashing up MY OWN beats with other beats which are MY OWN. Im a dj?

I also can't see the difference between a laptop set and a dj.

Precomposed music. hit play and fiddle with some fx.

whitegirllust

Post by whitegirllust » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:56 pm

This thread is so fucking retarded. Some ass hurt musicians getting mad because Daft Punk is selling out tours and your electronica/ambient masterpiece that took 3 months to get all the chords right sits on CD Baby unnoticed.

Daft Punk sampled and reworked some tracks that were completely out of the popular consciousness, then built a image, got big then fell out of "fade" for a couple years, staged a huge calculated comeback.

Let a french dude eat. Why would anyone care what they should be considered except someone who is jealous that DP is making $$$ and getting hype.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:58 pm

lola wrote:I also can't see the difference between a laptop set and a dj.

Precomposed music. hit play and fiddle with some fx.
the whole definition of a DJ and the expectations have completely changed. I think a lot of us are in that mid-30s age group, for us it was literally a 'disc jockey', some guy spinning CDs or vinyl. these days the definition seems to have expanded to anyone playing music for a group of people no matter what the form factor is. beyond that, Daft fanboys vote yes regardless.

dunno, whatever they can do with plastic toys on their heads can't be all that difficult. they can't see or hear very well through those things. if I had full control over a massively huge PA in front of thousands of people night after night, around the world and there was a risk of trainwrecking, blowing drivers or hurting ear drums, I'd take that shit off my head. if I insisted on wearing that shit, I'd dumb down the set, which do you think they do?

the term 'DJ' is dead, just like 'dub', it doesn't mean what it used to.

selthym

Re: Daft Punk ARE DJs

Post by selthym » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am

Marx wrote:
And if you never knew that Daft Punk samples every one of their songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPdVVOmbz4
I have always struggles to wriite a danncefloor friendly leadline. This has just given me the answer and provided comfort that this is OK!!!!! Then agaiin I still don't feel as if it is all my work, but at least it will sound good.

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:57 am

i had to make a tv artwork for a french tv "traffic music" as cj, they wanted daft punk,ok, we put 4 bars of awell known song, don't remember, then a friend show me the original:

im quite sure if i made a phase cancelation i would get silence.. i mean 4, even 8 bar of the same drums, bass, guitar, fx sample, just puting shitty vocoder on it, 4 me that's too much, have at least for original creators the descence to call it "A REMIX",
say daft punk 's remix, not mix or original creation, and remix are cool, but call a cat a cat.
im working on a long movie, they were asked to make the music, i wouldn't tell you how much the producer would ask for money, but africa children could eat a year for that price, ..but maybe that's for paying copyright's...
they are the illuminatis all those kiloeuros harwdware to put a 303 and a vocoder on premade bars and say you have a new million album..