Daft Punk ARE DJs

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Are Daft Punk DJs

Poll ended at Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:02 am

yes
23
47%
no
26
53%
 
Total votes: 49

Chang
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:38 pm

Post by Chang » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:30 am

They do both imo.


http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2791&hl=en

First they djd like this, and then they play live later like today.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11088
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:51 am

Marx wrote: Why do you define a DJ narrowly as "2 cd decks" but are willing to give Daft Punk the benefit of the doubt as Musicians? They dont play instruments.
Yeah they do, in this case it's called a studio. I'm certain they could spank most of us in whipping up a great mix out of 20 odd tracks etc. Plus, whether or not you play the Voyager, they program it, and end up with songs that sound similar, but not the same as the ones they love.

FYI, I'm not a big Daft Punk fan, they're OK, but I respect their talent, and it's in the arrangement and production fields. I also play guitar and keyboards badly, so I'm not saying this because I don't have respect for learning an instrument, but people have no idea how much work it is to write a song like Harder Better Faster, they think because it sounds simple it must be easy to write and produce. It's not.

Most DJs that put out records I would call a musician, it's a matter of whether it's just a club mix, or if they took a couple songs and threw them together to form something new really.

hoffman2k
Posts: 14689
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:02 am

The only thing I don't get: Why pull a Milli Vanilli with the Lemurs?
If you watch the videos, you'll notice stuff is moving on the lemurs just for the sake of it. Nothing they do on those things matches up with any sound that comes from their booth.

trevorc
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:09 am
Location: valencia, spain
Contact:

Post by trevorc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:10 am

just pop stars putting on a show aren't they?

it's about as riveting as wondering whether kajagoogoo were miming on top of the pops.

Machinate
Posts: 11646
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Machinate » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:26 am

trevorc wrote:just pop stars putting on a show aren't they?

it's about as riveting as wondering whether kajagoogoo were miming on top of the pops.
aw, you just had to go there, didn't you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4kZWQF-HQM
- Limahl tribute.

trevorc
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:09 am
Location: valencia, spain
Contact:

Post by trevorc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:07 am

Machinate wrote:
trevorc wrote:just pop stars putting on a show aren't they?

it's about as riveting as wondering whether kajagoogoo were miming on top of the pops.
aw, you just had to go there, didn't you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4kZWQF-HQM
- Limahl tribute.
haha i like it, is that you and your mates machinate?

Machinate
Posts: 11646
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Machinate » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:14 am

nah, it's an old comedy bit.

trevorc
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:09 am
Location: valencia, spain
Contact:

Post by trevorc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:21 am

man i wasn't being serious... funny clip. :D

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Post by supamonsta » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:36 am

:?

what's all this buzz around "DJ or not", "musician or not", "what is a DJ", "what is an electronic live gig"... ...?




lots of music styles have been refused the hype of beeing accepted as "music", lots of musicians have been denigrated, criticized as doing everything but music... (think about jazz, pop rock (beatles), hard rock, metal, techno...) I know DJ's that used to denigrate pitch+speed mixing when it appeared, then mp3 mixing, because it was not "real" djing... who now are so happy to use live or serato.

I think all this crappy debates are just based on ENVY, JALOUSY, and FRUSTRATION.

I'm also envious and a bit angry when I see friends of mine, "only deejaying other people's tracks", getting famous whereas me, playing live my own tracks (deejaying, beat juggling, remixing, call it what you want), I don't get any gig dates or recognition. But I'm open-eyed and try to fix this jalousy. That's life, and for godsake, does this really care?

look at the same buzz around Justice, i.e. They became famous so quick that everyone, included me, searched to denigrate them. So for deadmau5, is it an asshole or a trick player because he "djays" his own tracks?

call me a troll, but I'm tired of seeing so much crap of this beloved forum.

THE ONLY THING IS TO GET AND GIVE FUN.

what does it change if Daft punk are DJ's or not?

wascal
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 3:14 am
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: Daft Punk ARE DJs

Post by wascal » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Marx wrote:In an earlier thread someone said that Daft Punk aren't DJs. I've also heard other people on the forum react almost angrily when people have referred to them DJs.

Daft Punk ARE DJs. There are two main reasons.

1. They sample HEAVILY. Juggling beats, sampling and mashing beats is THE way a DJ produces music. On Homework, Daft Punk has stated that the samples were cleared and they used CDJs to sample.

Old school rappers would take a sample, put their own beat under it and write lyrics over the top (usually at about 80-90 bpm). Daft punk takes a sample, put a beat under it, and write synth lines over it or (more usually) take the lead from the sample and play it on their Voyager (at about 110-120 bpm). The same production process of a DJ.

2. Their live show is a DJ SET. They are not playing instruments, they are not performing the music. They are using Ableton to mix and mash their music in brilliant ways. Because they wear costumes and stand in a light up pyramid and use touchscreens instead of turntables doesn't make them different, it makes them fancier. But when it comes down to it they are Beat Juggling, mashing their songs. Not playing or improvising them.

So, in my book, if you produce the same way a DJ does, and Perform the same way a DJ does, YOU ARE A DJ.

But this isn't anything bad. It doesn't take away from their music at all. I think that people get mad because Daft Punk isn't really upfront about their sampling (Justice is the same way. On Cross there are whole songs that are samples that are distorted beyond recognition). I don't care at all that they sample. In fact I respect and aspire to be on that level. I sample ALL THE TIME, I consider myself a DJ.

And wait til the Serato/Ableton Rewire (or whatever it will be) comes out. I will have it. I will be using my turntables daily with ableton. And what is wrong with that?

The line between electronic musician and DJ is grey. And when the Serato/Ableton combo comes out there will be no line. The terms will be synonymous. And I'll embrace that.


your thoughts....


And if you never knew that Daft Punk samples every one of their songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPdVVOmbz4
Wow. I bet you're a barrel of laughs at parties.

Marx
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:40 pm
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Daft Punk ARE DJs

Post by Marx » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:09 pm

wascal wrote:
Marx wrote:In an earlier thread someone said that Daft Punk aren't DJs. I've also heard other people on the forum react almost angrily when people have referred to them DJs.

Daft Punk ARE DJs. There are two main reasons.

1. They sample HEAVILY. Juggling beats, sampling and mashing beats is THE way a DJ produces music. On Homework, Daft Punk has stated that the samples were cleared and they used CDJs to sample.

Old school rappers would take a sample, put their own beat under it and write lyrics over the top (usually at about 80-90 bpm). Daft punk takes a sample, put a beat under it, and write synth lines over it or (more usually) take the lead from the sample and play it on their Voyager (at about 110-120 bpm). The same production process of a DJ.

2. Their live show is a DJ SET. They are not playing instruments, they are not performing the music. They are using Ableton to mix and mash their music in brilliant ways. Because they wear costumes and stand in a light up pyramid and use touchscreens instead of turntables doesn't make them different, it makes them fancier. But when it comes down to it they are Beat Juggling, mashing their songs. Not playing or improvising them.

So, in my book, if you produce the same way a DJ does, and Perform the same way a DJ does, YOU ARE A DJ.

But this isn't anything bad. It doesn't take away from their music at all. I think that people get mad because Daft Punk isn't really upfront about their sampling (Justice is the same way. On Cross there are whole songs that are samples that are distorted beyond recognition). I don't care at all that they sample. In fact I respect and aspire to be on that level. I sample ALL THE TIME, I consider myself a DJ.

And wait til the Serato/Ableton Rewire (or whatever it will be) comes out. I will have it. I will be using my turntables daily with ableton. And what is wrong with that?

The line between electronic musician and DJ is grey. And when the Serato/Ableton combo comes out there will be no line. The terms will be synonymous. And I'll embrace that.


your thoughts....


And if you never knew that Daft Punk samples every one of their songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPdVVOmbz4
Wow. I bet you're a barrel of laughs at parties.
At parties I usually get really drunk and start arguments with people about things with no consequence. It usually ends with them making very valid points and me puking into their laps. :wink: (lol. I'm really not even argumentative in real life.)

teknobryan
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Post by teknobryan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:18 pm

whoever started this thread obviously hasn't listened to their music closely. they ARE musicians. writing a melody around a sample is the same thing as writing a melody with a singer you are working with..., sometimes just the bass line, sometimes a chord progression, whatever. and you know they DO make some music that features no samples...

they were in a rock band before they formed Daft Punk.

bencodec
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Post by bencodec » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:22 pm

funny thing is, 10 years ago we'd be pissed that daft punk, nin, or whoever, was playing with DAT tape.

now 10 years later they can genuinely restructure they music to change they minds, moods, and create in the moment and we still bitch it's not live music.

if they were up there with 808s and 909s would it still be DJing?

if any use of a sequencer makes things a DJ set then every electronic act is just a DJ. thats it, Jarre is just a DJ. all he does is play back pre-prepared bits of sequencer info. hell, mozart was a dj, all he did was play back bits of prerecorded musical score...

i'd say the average daft punk set is a hell of a lot more unpredictable the a mozart performance, once you've heard the piece you know exactly where the mozart piece is going.
Macbook Pro unibody 2.2 Ghz Quad i7, 16GB RAM, 512MB graphics, 500 GB SSD, 500 GB HD, Mac OS 10.8
http://www.bangbang-nyc.com

mkelly
Posts: 595
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:32 pm
Location: Belfast

Post by mkelly » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:29 pm

bencodec wrote:funny thing is, 10 years ago we'd be pissed that daft punk, nin, or whoever, was playing with DAT tape.

now 10 years later they can genuinely restructure they music to change they minds, moods, and create in the moment and we still bitch it's not live music
Well said.
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

teknobryan
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Daft Punk ARE DJs

Post by teknobryan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:31 pm

Marx wrote: So, in my book, if you produce the same way a DJ does, and Perform the same way a DJ does, YOU ARE A DJ.
so I guess Mozart was a DJ because he doesn't "perform" his music.

Post Reply