Live Library, Samples and Laptop HDDs

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Piplodocus

Live Library, Samples and Laptop HDDs

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:47 am

Hello,

I've been using Live 5, 6 & 7 (suite) for a good while now with a desktop, and have always expanded my internal storage so I never worry. However, I'm about to get a macbook pro which only comes with a 320GB drive (I'll get the 7200rpm version). I want to pretty much replace the desktop with it, including all the other stuff my desktop has (movies, 200+GB of MP3s, Dreamweaver, web stuff, photos and all the other things computers get used for these days). I also want to use it live on stage, hence why I'm getting the laptop. What do you guys do with you live library and samples. Mine's about 200GB!

How well does the Macbook Pro work running everything off it's internal 7200rpm HDD? I'd like to be able to use the MBP without external drives live.

How full do you make it? Obviously disk performance slows the fuller it gets.

Do you only put a limited library on it, and switch between a limited library on it and and a full external library on an external HDD whilst writing? Is that a PITA? I'd like to be able to have access to a reasonable selection from the sample library while "on the go". Although I can probably reduce the size quite a lot.

What do you/don't you put on it?

The current plan in my head is:
  • Put Live, and all other apps on the Macbook.
    Try to shrink my sample/live library and put it on the Macbook.
    Put all my current music projects/songs on it.
    Get an Apple Time Machine (or similar) for backup of everything, which also gives me 802.11n wireless networking in my house.
    Plug a USB2.0 drive into the Time machine USB port for MP3s, movies, photos, etc.
This then should mean I get:
  • Music production capabilities everywhere using just the laptopwith/without FW MOTU 828mk3.
    When the Laptop is where it normally would be in my home studio area I can connect to the Time Machine via Gigabit Ethernet (for backup), and via the Gigabit Ethernet to the USB2.0 drive on it for quick access to all my MP3s/movies/what-not.
    I can wonder freely around my house watching & listening to my movies & MP3s and photos etc. via 802.11n.
    If I go out with my laptop and want my movies/MP3s/photos/etc. I unplug the USB2 drive from the time machine and take that as well as the laptop, and plug it straight into the side of the macbook pro whilst out and about.
Does this make sense? Can you see problems? What's your cunning plan if you try to do something like this? Discuss!...

ollyb303

Re: Live Library, Samples and Laptop HDDs

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:50 am

Piplodocus wrote: How full do you make it? Obviously disk performance slows the fuller it gets.
As a general rule of thumb, you'll want at least 10% free HDD space on any drive as "headroom".
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

SubFunk

Re: Live Library, Samples and Laptop HDDs

Post by SubFunk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:54 am

ollyb303 wrote:
Piplodocus wrote: How full do you make it? Obviously disk performance slows the fuller it gets.
As a general rule of thumb, you'll want at least 10% free HDD space on any drive as "headroom".
+1 10% - 15%
*** Image GAFM ***