Ableton meets its match?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:10 am

i think I saw a "remix" button...and then a drop down that said "Tiesto"
John Deere 9860STS Hydraflex , 15" MBP 2.5 C2D 4 gigs RAM, 15" MBP 2.33 Dual Core 3 gigs ram, ultralite x2, MPD 32, Kontrol49, v4, CG-8, live 7, reason 4, Trilogy, MiniMonsta, Oddity, M8. http://www.myspace.com/robclay

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:12 am

suspended childhood wrote:i think I saw a "remix" button...and then a drop down that said "Tiesto"
That's all you need for producing anyway. This is ahead of its time! ;)

teknobryan

Post by teknobryan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:42 am

is microsoft really that out of touch with reality?? this and that Touch table they have that costs $10,000.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:26 am

jonny72 wrote:That has to be one of the worst ads ever, the result of geeks trying to do cool and totally misunderstanding the concept. You'd have thought with all their money Microsoft could hire some cool people to put them straight.
Nope this is consistent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swFlU-FKg30

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:34 am

teknobryan wrote:is microsoft really that out of touch with reality?? this and that Touch table they have that costs $10,000.
not so, more like very in touch with the time, if lemur or brian eno came up with this then everyone on this forum would be peeing in their pants
right pete?

xherv

Post by xherv » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:30 am

Someone posted this on KVR . . .http://music.metafilter.com/2943/Runnin ... -Songsmith

I wonder how much the vocals on the promo video got processed, and if the software processes vocals. I'd check myself but I'm afraid my MIDI gear will spontaneously explode or I'll have seizures if I run this software.
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?

Johnny Beat

Post by Johnny Beat » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:39 am

ROFL :?

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:45 am

jesusssss

listen to her voice

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:59 am

vicz wrote:
....seriously though, if it exports MIDI files it could potentially be useful
Yeah, in GUANTANAMO BAY :P :P :P
I just mean for putting the right chords to a melody you sing in - sure it's lazy as hell, but actually that can be a pretty tedious part of music production

If you had a song idea in your head with a clear melody you want to record you have to go through and record the backing in chord by chord, fix the velocities/note lengths/quantise etc then repeat the number of times you want it to happen, arrange it, then do that for each track

it sounds like this program could do all that for you, then you can just tweak what it's done and play your own synths with it and get on with the more fun tweaky parts of changing sounds/sound design/automating etc etc

seems pretty practical to me

by the same token, if it can't output the raw MIDI and you are stuck with it's stupid sounds then it's utterly useless to a professional musician

vicz

Post by vicz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:41 am

forge wrote:
vicz wrote:
I just mean for putting the right chords to a melody you sing in - sure it's lazy as hell, but actually that can be a pretty tedious part of music production

If you had a song idea in your head with a clear melody you want to record you have to go through and record the backing in chord by chord, fix the velocities/note lengths/quantise etc then repeat the number of times you want it to happen, arrange it, then do that for each track

it sounds like this program could do all that for you, then you can just tweak what it's done and play your own synths with it and get on with the more fun tweaky parts of changing sounds/sound design/automating etc etc

by the same token, if it can't output the raw MIDI and you are stuck with it's stupid sounds then it's utterly useless to a professional musician
Sounds like the Damien Hurst approach to art. Some of us actually enjoy playing the music..

vicz

Post by vicz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:44 am

bosonHavoc wrote:ya think they will make a trance patch?
You just gotta sing da da di da di da ditty da da di di da da da di da ditty da da - but it still comes out sounding like High School Musical.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:53 am

vicz wrote:
forge wrote:
vicz wrote: Yeah, in GUANTANAMO BAY :P :P :P

Sounds like the Damien Hurst approach to art. Some of us actually enjoy playing the music..
yeah I wasn't suggesting it would be the only way, just it could potentially be a useful tool
Last edited by forge on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:55 am

forge wrote:
vicz wrote:
The right chords ? That's what the fun part is, your right chords might be different to my right chords. That's how you create different moods with different and sometimes unexpected chord changes, it's not just painting by numbers.

If it spits out MIDI then it could possibly be used as a starting point but that's about it.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:58 am

beatpoet wrote:.. then it could possibly be used as a starting point but that's about it.
that's exactly what I am talking about

I have no idea how the thing works - but it seems you can set "moods" and "styles" with it etc - presumably it has some kind of parameters you can change as well and hear the differences - so if you want to use the relative minor rather than major then maybe it can do that - I have no idea

I'm not for one second suggesting I would press a button then leave it, I'm saying it might be a useful tool maybe in the same sense as Melodyne is

vicz

Post by vicz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:15 pm

forge wrote:
vicz wrote:
forge wrote: I just mean for putting the right chords to a melody you sing in - sure it's lazy as hell, but actually that can be a pretty tedious part of music production

yeah I wasn't suggesting it would be the only way, just it could potentially be a useful tool
It could have been quite good - perhaps in the right hands someone can still make something interesting with it, but that ad - aaaarrrghhhhhhhhh, not so much the cheesiness but the entire mentality behind it.

The following story was told to me in good faith by an Oracle salesman some years ago. At considerable expense Bill Gates and Microsoft have bought up the rights to reproduce the paintings by the great masters electronically. His vision was to produce big LCD panels that people could display them on, maybe even subscribe to a picture of the month club. Boasting about it at a demo to Larry Ellison, head of Oracle and an avid collector, Gates is purported to have said that his vision was to bring great art to the masses. "But Bill", says Ellison, after one look, "That's not art..."

I guess people are either with Gates or Ellison on this one