Live on Windows 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
System6music

Post by System6music » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:30 am

al83 wrote:
System6music wrote:I am running the 32 bit version. I have used Live, Fl studio, Reason, Audacity, and other non-music apps.

This is the fastest OS from Windows I have ever used. Live isn't peaking over 10-20% when on vista it was pushing 40-70%. It is working amazing and I cannot believe after all the wait it actually delivers.

This thing literally boots faster, installs programs faster, uninstalls apps faster, etc. It is nothing short of amazing and I am very excited for the performance gain I have seen with Live.

I am dual booting it right now with Vista. Not a single crash or hang up so far. I downloaded it just to "Check it out", but haven't had a reason to boot Vista since.
hmm interesting, do you mind telling me your system spec? cpu, ram, sound card etc...

Sony Vaio laptop. It has a 300GB 7200 RPM hard drive, 3GBs of Ram, and an intel core 2 duo 2.226 processor.

I know this sounds like a pretty mean machine that is all tricked out, but despite that there have been a ton of reviews saying that 7 is working surprisingly great on older computers.

I am using a line 6 DI sound card, and m-audio mobile pre card, and the internal card. (occasionally with ASIO4ALL.) Seriously....not 1 single hickup, problem or issue.

I have never been this impressed with an OS... EVER!

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:46 am

abitrubbish wrote:I wish I knew. I've tried re-installing in compatibility mode, but it's still the same.

I've tried recording a few midi parts and they were fine, the VSTs I've tried so far have been OK too.

No luck with clips though. Dropping samples, or MP3/WAV tracks or samples gives the same troubles also.

Strangely Live shows only about 20% CPU (still higher than normal) but process explorer seem to show a more accurate reading of about 50% for Live (a whole 3Ghz core) and 30% for "system"
Process explorer (and task manager) are definitely giving the accurate reading though as it's totally unusable.

I knew there would be some issues with Windows 7 since it is a beta after all, it's just a pity it's with the one program I want to work the most.

I see same trouble on vista 64bit when i tested some time ago.
I sugest try only 32bit version,
You not take any adventage of windows 64 bits, ableton is compiled on 32 bits, like all vst etc etc,
32bit windows 7 with 3gb should be ok.
Im downloading beta right now.

Somebody know when this beta expire?

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:35 am

Dj-Grobe wrote: I see same trouble on vista 64bit when i tested some time ago.
I sugest try only 32bit version,
You not take any adventage of windows 64 bits, ableton is compiled on 32 bits, like all vst etc etc,
Win 64 allows you to access more than 3.75 GB RAM. Thats the main advantage for power Live users at the moment.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

al83

Post by al83 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:54 am

System6music wrote:
al83 wrote:
System6music wrote:I am running the 32 bit version. I have used Live, Fl studio, Reason, Audacity, and other non-music apps.

This is the fastest OS from Windows I have ever used. Live isn't peaking over 10-20% when on vista it was pushing 40-70%. It is working amazing and I cannot believe after all the wait it actually delivers.

This thing literally boots faster, installs programs faster, uninstalls apps faster, etc. It is nothing short of amazing and I am very excited for the performance gain I have seen with Live.

I am dual booting it right now with Vista. Not a single crash or hang up so far. I downloaded it just to "Check it out", but haven't had a reason to boot Vista since.
hmm interesting, do you mind telling me your system spec? cpu, ram, sound card etc...

Sony Vaio laptop. It has a 300GB 7200 RPM hard drive, 3GBs of Ram, and an intel core 2 duo 2.226 processor.

I know this sounds like a pretty mean machine that is all tricked out, but despite that there have been a ton of reviews saying that 7 is working surprisingly great on older computers.

I am using a line 6 DI sound card, and m-audio mobile pre card, and the internal card. (occasionally with ASIO4ALL.) Seriously....not 1 single hickup, problem or issue.

I have never been this impressed with an OS... EVER!
might explain your snappyness then. i'm running a p4d 3.4ghz, only 2gb ram. windows in general is a hell of a lot faster than vista ever was, but like i said ableton let it down. have a feeling its defo to do with my cpu & ram...

Dj-Grobe: the beta expires in august this year.

abitrubbish

Post by abitrubbish » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:18 pm

I got round to trying the 32 bit beta today. Exactly the same issues as the x64 version.

If I can be bothered, I might try out some other audio/music programs and see how they work. No Live is a bit of a deal breaker for me though, so perhaps I'll just format the beta for the time being.

On a side note
Some other applications that have problems are....

NetMeter - Hangs, UI issues, doesn't see my NICs. DU Meter works fine instead.
Live Mesh - Won't install. ( a known issue )
Gladinet client - Install won't finish . Maybe something to do with the Live Mesh issue, since it does a similar thing.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:21 pm

Seems to be working great with Live here on a Dell XPS 1530 laptop.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:42 pm

abitrubbish wrote:I got round to trying the 32 bit beta today. Exactly the same issues as the x64 version.

If I can be bothered, I might try out some other audio/music programs and see how they work. No Live is a bit of a deal breaker for me though, so perhaps I'll just format the beta for the time being.

On a side note

Gladinet client - Install won't finish . Maybe something to do with the Live Mesh issue, since it does a similar thing.
Your trouble can be related to audio sound card driver, try with onboard card with asio4all and with any asio card for se whats up

al83

Post by al83 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:11 pm

it might be a creative/realtek issue, only time will tell i guess. asio4all returned the same results am afraid.

abitrubbish

Post by abitrubbish » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:11 am

Dj-Grobe wrote:
abitrubbish wrote:I got round to trying the 32 bit beta today. Exactly the same issues as the x64 version.

On a side note

Your trouble can be related to audio sound card driver, try with onboard card with asio4all and with any asio card for se whats up

I have been using onboard with ASIO4all (and DX)

I've even tried with different driver versions, Gigabyte ones, Realtek ones. No joy.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:33 am

abitrubbish wrote:
Dj-Grobe wrote:

On a side note

I have been using onboard with ASIO4all (and DX)

I've even tried with different driver versions, Gigabyte ones, Realtek ones. No joy.
you are chasing your tail trying to troubleshoot problems on a Beta OS. There are just too many variables.

Also remember that MS is using this public beta as marketing for the poor release of Vista. Of course its going to run nice and snappy, but so did the Beta of Vista.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

abitrubbish

Post by abitrubbish » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:39 am

you are chasing your tail trying to troubleshoot problems on a Beta OS. There are just too many variables.

Also remember that MS is using this public beta as marketing for the poor release of Vista. Of course its going to run nice and snappy, but so did the Beta of Vista.
I know, but I'm a sad old geek. I do this for fun.
I was an "official" tester of Vista (don't blame me please). I thought I was going to get a free copy as they'd promised one for everyone that submitted a legitimate bug report. Turns out that my bug was classified as a "driver installation error" and I didn't get a freebie after all. I did get a certificate to put up on my wall. Wow, thanks Microsoft.

This beta is really more like the Vista RC, which is no surprise since it is basically Vista with knobs on. And to be fair some low level performance increases too.

I have given up on trying to get Live to run though, if (when) it gets fixed, I'll post back here.
I've sent the bug report to Microsoft by the way, but judging by the feedback on the MSDN and Technet forums, there's a fair amount for them to be getting on with.