Turntable for sampling

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
cmreal04
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:27 am

Turntable for sampling

Post by cmreal04 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:47 pm

http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_t60.asp

Do you think this table is good enough for sampling purposes ? If not how come....

CM

chalkline
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:35 pm
Location: Leighton Buzzard/London

Post by chalkline » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:38 pm

I can't see it being a problem, you will just need a decent stylus and a resonable pre-amp or mixer!
If you are not planning on djing, although I am sure it is fine for a beginner and you don't want to blow stupid amounts of cash it should be fine!

Khazul
Posts: 3185
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Reading, UK

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:20 pm

If you just want to grab samples, then Im cant imagin they would be that bad.

At the end of the day you pays for whats yr gets - in the case of this thing - its a cheap deck and it looks like most of the manufacturing cost has probaby gone into starter DJ friendly features rather than audio friendly features.

You will also need to figure in spending another $50 if you want even a semi decent cartridge on it.

If you allready have a hifi turntable, then TBH, you may as well continue to use that (assuming a decent cartridge) - if you allready have even an old battered technics 1200 series deck - then that would be way way better (against assuming a decent cartridge).

As for pre-amp - I actually just use my DJM-800 mixer (fed by technics SL1210 M5G with ortofon electro cartridge).
Nothing to see here - move along!

dj_huck
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:19 pm

Post by dj_huck » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:42 pm

not to jack the thread. but how does that electro cartridge sound? i have thought about getting those for archiving vinyl

cmreal04
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:27 am

Post by cmreal04 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Thanks for the help guys.

I was planning on connecting the table directly to my fire box interface. Would I still need a preamp / mixer ? or is that just a better approach.

CM

Nick the Zombie
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Post by Nick the Zombie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:21 pm

I use that very same turntable for all of my vinyl sampling, and it works quite well. Make sure to get a quality cartridge/stylus and set your tonearm weight correctly. This will do a lot for preserving the condition of your precious and increasingly rare vinyl!

- Nick

Khazul
Posts: 3185
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Reading, UK

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:30 pm

dj_huck wrote:not to jack the thread. but how does that electro cartridge sound? i have thought about getting those for archiving vinyl
Its not a 'transparent' cartridge at all, however I have yet to play anything through these decks that it doesnt add a pleasing colour to. I can best describe as a slight smile compared to the frequency response of most cartidges, but certainly not overly so.

Of the stuff that I have independently on CD and vinyl, I have to say the vinyl version sounds way way fuller and more detailed - of course that could be done to whatever CD mastering was done that was different to the vinyl mastering.
Nothing to see here - move along!

dj_huck
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:19 pm

Post by dj_huck » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:51 pm

i was thinking about using a radial preamp and maybe the archiv cart. what software is everyone using to remove clicks and to record? i have used ableton for recording and my dj mixer for a preamp. but i am never happy with the results

dj_huck
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:19 pm

Post by dj_huck » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:54 pm

also you may consider a belt drive tt for recording. if you are buying one anyway. belt drives can be "quieter"

cmreal04
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:27 am

Post by cmreal04 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:17 am

Nick the Zombie wrote:I use that very same turntable for all of my vinyl sampling, and it works quite well. Make sure to get a quality cartridge/stylus and set your tonearm weight correctly. This will do a lot for preserving the condition of your precious and increasingly rare vinyl!

- Nick
Thanks Nick, could lend any insight towards weather or not it I could just connect it to my fire box interface, or do I still need a preamp.

Nick the Zombie
Posts: 986
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Post by Nick the Zombie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:21 am

cmreal04 wrote:
Nick the Zombie wrote:I use that very same turntable for all of my vinyl sampling, and it works quite well. Make sure to get a quality cartridge/stylus and set your tonearm weight correctly. This will do a lot for preserving the condition of your precious and increasingly rare vinyl!

- Nick
Thanks Nick, could lend any insight towards weather or not it I could just connect it to my fire box interface, or do I still need a preamp.
No problem. You will need a preamp/converter to convert between phono (turntable) and line level (your sound card). Something like the first product listed on this page: http://www.phonopreamps.com/ is what I use. That's not the exact same product, but it's the same thing. Either that, or a simple DJ mixer will work just as well.

As a side note, some turntables DO come with line level outputs these days, but I am not aware of that capability existing in the one that I own.

good luck!

- Nick

Post Reply