My first dancefloor burner

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

burner?

burner
11%
not burner
89%

Total votes: 27

Grappadura

My first dancefloor burner

Post by Grappadura » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:53 pm

Is it a burner or is it not a burner?

http://soundcloud.com/grappadura/glamour-time-1

* drums by forum member cr 78

thx for listening!

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:15 pm

My humble opinion, is that the bassline may be more groovy to really make the dancefloor burn. something more between the beats, or syncoped (dunno if this word is english or not). more like a slap bass with lots of 16th notes, silences, offbeats...

But I don't really know to what audience you look at, so don't really know ;)

anyway the production seems really good, lots of compression isn't it?

Excuse me if I'm too severe, but I know that best advices are not the "that's cool man" ones :D

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:17 pm

I enjoyed it, but found it a bit laid back for a "dancefloor burner".

I thought the bassline was a little low in the mix, but I am listening on headphones.
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:30 pm

monstrejumo wrote:My humble opinion, is that the bassline may be more groovy to really make the dancefloor burn. something more between the beats, or syncoped (dunno if this word is english or not). more like a slap bass with lots of 16th notes, silences, offbeats...

But I don't really know to what audience you look at, so don't really know ;)

anyway the production seems really good, lots of compression isn't it?

Excuse me if I'm too severe, but I know that best advices are not the "that's cool man" ones :D
Hmmm, syncopation, good idea, maybe I´ll fiddle around a bit more. The compression might be a touch too heavy, its Ozone 3 on the master. You are absolutely right about the fact that criticism is more helpful than "cool man". Thx!

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:31 pm

thx mkelly, you may be right about the bassline, I did push it back a bit to get a cleaner sound, maybe I overdid it.

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:48 pm

its cool man! maybe a bit too repetitive though with some of the chops and lack of progression. mixdown sounds god though

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:52 pm

I like the track - my suggestion would be to add some variation to the drums with some fills or added percussion here and there. For me, it seems the drums could move a bit more. I like the synth sounds (especially the middle piece), but I would bring in the beginning synth a bit more slowly, build things up a bit better.

I think the production sounds nice and crunchy though! I would agree with the bassline suggestion as well, try add some off beat bass hits to make it 'wobble' a bit more (although keep in mind, this is how I like things!).

Hope this helps!
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:54 pm

ARDJ wrote:its cool man! maybe a bit too repetitive though with some of the chops and lack of progression. mixdown sounds god though
Its the good thing about "minimal" you can pretend the lack of progression is intended ;) . But I really dig a kind of style that is repetitive with just minor progressions, so in the club you can "accomodate" to the groove without being "disturbed" by too many changes.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Mehalic wrote:I like the track - my suggestion would be to add some variation to the drums with some fills or added percussion here and there. For me, it seems the drums could move a bit more. I like the synth sounds (especially the middle piece), but I would bring in the beginning synth a bit more slowly, build things up a bit better.

I think the production sounds nice and crunchy though! I would agree with the bassline suggestion as well, try add some off beat bass hits to make it 'wobble' a bit more (although keep in mind, this is how I like things!).

Hope this helps!
Yes I guess I could add some minor percussive elements, good idea, although it wont be easy finding the right place in the mix. THX!

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:00 pm

the waveform looks like an erect willy. Thats all i have to offer.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Emissary wrote:the waveform looks like an erect willy. Thats all i have to offer.
LOL I had the same thought! Maybe this is a secret production tecnique :lol:

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:39 pm

^ agreed with other commenters...both the bassline and the kick are totally missing.

This song would benefit greatly from a well-defined kick with a nice deep sub. The bassline then should be side-chained with the kick.

The chord structure is pretty good and moves the song along. However, the sounds of the synths sound very softsynth-ish to me, as in too clean, not enough grit, and a little thin. I'd suggest using saturator and/or compressor to thicken up some of the lead synth sounds.

Also, the transitions need some work. Parts go from one to the other without much variation in the drums. Simple hat fills or rolls (nothing excessive! this ain't Dance Dance Revolution!), or even reversed kicks or breaks all serve this purpose.

Overall, lotsa promise. Keep at it. :)

piZMo

Post by piZMo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:46 pm

ass burner maybe? also no else thinks the 'groove' sounds like ripped off billie jean?
Last edited by piZMo on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:48 pm

ts this is just a normal "walking bass", no rip intended.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:48 pm

Needs more block rocking beats imo