New akai ableton controller

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
shai
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:07 am

Post by shai » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:44 am

looking at the fader -- they are for sure not motorized.. so why not putting endless knobs and save some space.. for more knobs? i wonder

Machinate
Posts: 11646
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:45 am

8O wrote:
chapelier fou wrote:Only 5 scenes is maybe not enough, though.
Akai wrote:The matrix is not limited to only 40 clips: you can scroll and shift, enabling access to an unlimited number of cells.
I'm guessing - hoping - that applies to scenes too.
for sure - this is a given.

BTW, it's "BI-colour" LEDs, not tri from the looks of it: Yellow, orange, red==yellow and red leds. BUT the mapping is done quite intelligently, I think.

That's it, all studio purchases have now been put on hold for me... I reckon I'll be needing one of these bitches!

Machinate
Posts: 11646
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:48 am

shai wrote:looking at the fader -- they are for sure not motorized.. so why not putting endless knobs and save some space.. for more knobs? i wonder
The akai faders are awesome, that's all I can say - for doing slams - there's nothing like them. I have a friend who'll do entire gigs just pounding them, it feels great and the results are great.

I think a large part of the Ableton philosophy here, and I know that Gerhard is all about this, is the tactile sensation. You really win a lot by having big, physical faders in that respect.

shai
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:07 am

Post by shai » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:49 am

Rave wrote:
4.33 wrote:
chapelier fou wrote:This kind of thing should have existed for a while....
I made my own a few years ago. Only 5 scenes is maybe not enough, though.
i believe, there should be a way to change the focus in the clip grid)
I wouldnt be surprised if you can bank through the scenes / clips.
Rave - you are on 1000
chin chin

kaffein
Posts: 1195
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Houston, Texas
Contact:

Post by kaffein » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:50 am

Fuck me.
Anyone wanna buy a padKontrol and a bcr2000?

shai
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:07 am

Post by shai » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:52 am

Machinate wrote:
shai wrote:looking at the fader -- they are for sure not motorized.. so why not putting endless knobs and save some space.. for more knobs? i wonder
The akai faders are awesome, that's all I can say - for doing slams - there's nothing like them. I have a friend who'll do entire gigs just pounding them, it feels great and the results are great.

I think a large part of the Ableton philosophy here, and I know that Gerhard is all about this, is the tactile sensation. You really win a lot by having big, physical faders in that respect.
yeah.. i guess you're right. i hope it wont force the slimmed down 8-track-only approach... not that it's necessarily bad..

shai
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:07 am

Post by shai » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:53 am

kaffein wrote:Fuck me.
Anyone wanna buy a padKontrol and a bcr2000?
i wouldn't retire my PK at all . . .
does akai allow native mode.. ? i think not

Machinate
Posts: 11646
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:54 am

shai wrote:
Machinate wrote:
shai wrote:looking at the fader -- they are for sure not motorized.. so why not putting endless knobs and save some space.. for more knobs? i wonder
The akai faders are awesome, that's all I can say - for doing slams - there's nothing like them. I have a friend who'll do entire gigs just pounding them, it feels great and the results are great.

I think a large part of the Ableton philosophy here, and I know that Gerhard is all about this, is the tactile sensation. You really win a lot by having big, physical faders in that respect.
yeah.. i guess you're right. i hope it wont force the slimmed down 8-track-only approach... not that it's necessarily bad..
I think it'll be easily scrollable through sets of 8 tracks, much like a Mackie Control, which also only has 8 tracks at a time... I've seen those used on 64+ track productions.

Meef Chaloin
Posts: 2164
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:09 pm

Post by Meef Chaloin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:57 am

kaffein wrote:Fuck me.
Anyone wanna buy a padKontrol and a bcr2000?
+1 MPD32 & BCF2000

logic_user99
Posts: 1965
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:06 am

Meef Chaloin wrote:
kaffein wrote:Fuck me.
Anyone wanna buy a padKontrol and a bcr2000?
+1 MPD32 & BCF2000
+2 MPD24 & Nocturn

What's the estimated cost? £200? £250?
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Machinate
Posts: 11646
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:07 am

logic_user99 wrote:
Meef Chaloin wrote:
kaffein wrote:Fuck me.
Anyone wanna buy a padKontrol and a bcr2000?
+1 MPD32 & BCF2000
+2 MPD24 & Nocturn

What's the estimated cost? £200? £250?
At the very least, I think. I'm betting somewhere between 400 and 600 euro - 600 would be the death sentence for this rig, though, wouldn't it?

kaffein
Posts: 1195
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Houston, Texas
Contact:

Post by kaffein » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:07 am

shai wrote:
kaffein wrote:Fuck me.
Anyone wanna buy a padKontrol and a bcr2000?
i wouldn't retire my PK at all . . .
does akai allow native mode.. ? i think not
I only use mine to playing beats occasionally.
I wouldn't take use of the native mode, because I can't stand not having what things do labeled. I wouldn't want to label the PK for a specific app.

I may keep the bcr for video stuff, but I've been meaning to sell my PK, and it hasn't had much use.

crumhorn
Posts: 2503
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Post by crumhorn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:08 am

Please say it has velocity sensitive pads, please please please, pretty please.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

kaffein
Posts: 1195
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Houston, Texas
Contact:

Post by kaffein » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:13 am

I'm going to guess this is going to be $350-400 USD.
If it's more I'd be surprised.

shai
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:07 am

Post by shai » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:13 am

kaffein wrote:
shai wrote:
kaffein wrote:Fuck me.
Anyone wanna buy a padKontrol and a bcr2000?
i wouldn't retire my PK at all . . .
does akai allow native mode.. ? i think not
I only use mine to playing beats occasionally.
I wouldn't take use of the native mode, because I can't stand not having what things do labeled. I wouldn't want to label the PK for a specific app.

I may keep the bcr for video stuff, but I've been meaning to sell my PK, and it hasn't had much use.
oh.. i see now the max for live thingy. well.. that will allow some flexibility

any chance for velocity sensitive pads on this beast .? . they say nothing about it so i guess not.

they actually dont give away too much , specification wise. guess it wont hit the market in the next month .. .

hoping for midi through too . . . .

Post Reply