new VIRUS TI2!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Daim wrote:wow.. the plugin still can only be used on one single track.. sucks
The actual plugin can be used on one track.
you can however feed it with a load of MIDI tracks each sending to a different channel.

You can use it as one VSTi (ie with full parameter automation) and 2 other stereo MIDI sysnths by sticking an external instrument in a couple of other tracks, routing midi to the TI and getting audio back from other audio outs from it.

You can use it as a hardware audio FX processor, vocoder, beat mangler etc in Live - while using the synth.

If you really want, you could get mono outs from it - upto 6 of them internal in the TI.

Theres a load of other cool stuff one could potially do woth the TI, however it needs some tweaks to the way Live works on Ableton's part (Hence why I wish they would talk to each other).
Nothing to see here - move along!

flow matters

Re: new VIRUS TI2!

Post by flow matters » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Any idea on how to Control Change (CC) parameters on the Virus past the initial 119 that Ableton Midi CTRL allows? The Virus has over 300 parameters that can be effected and not all are supported by the Virus Control plugin. Any advice on how to automate the other parameters would be appreciated!

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:33 pm

flow matters wrote:Any idea on how to Control Change (CC) parameters on the Virus past the initial 119 that Ableton Midi CTRL allows? The Virus has over 300 parameters that can be effected and not all are supported by the Virus Control plugin. Any advice on how to automate the other parameters would be appreciated!
Maybe this post will help

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?p=851935#p851935

flow matters

Post by flow matters » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:06 pm

Hey Nathan!

Thanks for the response. I was aware of that right clicking action. I have spent the last couple days on the Infekted forum figuring out all types of stuff. I'm pretty much all set except for automating the buttons that you can't right click on the Virus Control. I found a midi CC chart on the Virus site that lists the CC#s of all the functions, but there are way more than the 119 that a Live Midi Ctrl lane will allow. Check it!

The parameters on Pages B and C is what I would love to figure out how to automate with CC.

Also, check out the first video here!!!

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:56 pm

Ahhh i see what you mean now. Well... you CAN go beyond the 128 parameters in Live 8, so hopefully that'll be the answer (?)

In the meantime, maybe assign some of the desired parameters to some unused CC's (eg. 12-16) within the Virus's Mod Matrix?

Anyways thanks for that MIDI pdf. Very handy
And thanks for this link. Brilliant :lol:

Daim

Re:

Post by Daim » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:33 pm

aqua_tek wrote:
There is essentially ONE engine feeding the plugin and that is the ONE single hardware virus unit, so I don't think it's possible to have more than one instance of the plugin itself. But... you do know you CAN still have 16 different parts... or synths... playing from that same plugin, right?

All about MIDI/Audio routing. Not complicated at all. It's like having 16 synth plugins neatly packed into one "tabbed" window.
I know what you can do with audio and midi routing.. my comment was more about workflow. Having to do so much routing and stuff on your own just doesn't mean total integration to me.

aqua_tek

Re: Re:

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:13 pm

Daim wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:
There is essentially ONE engine feeding the plugin and that is the ONE single hardware virus unit, so I don't think it's possible to have more than one instance of the plugin itself. But... you do know you CAN still have 16 different parts... or synths... playing from that same plugin, right?

All about MIDI/Audio routing. Not complicated at all. It's like having 16 synth plugins neatly packed into one "tabbed" window.
I know what you can do with audio and midi routing.. my comment was more about workflow. Having to do so much routing and stuff on your own just doesn't mean total integration to me.
Well it's certainly not perfect, but it's a step forward.

I'm pretty sure they're clever and had considered the possibility of having more than one instance, but for some reason that most probably makes a lot of sense, it's just not feasible at this point. Eventually, maybe.

Anyways the one instance thing doesn't really bug me. You use it long enough, you get used to it.

and I also don't mind the routing. It keeps the mind sharp. :P

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:00 am

does anyone know if you can record knob movements from the units front panel into clips in session view?

the korg legacy controller does that and it's awesome. I think it's to do with the fact that the knobs on the korg controller have dedicated CC numbers and Midi channel information.

anyone know if that's the case with the ti2?