Live8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Poster

Post by Poster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:55 am

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:56 am

Poster wrote:Image

Ahh, it's a thing of beauty :D

Blaydrnnnr

Post by Blaydrnnnr » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:05 am

I have a question please...total noob here, just upgraded to Live 7 from Live 7 Lite, last week, ( Jan 13th??) the site for 8 says free drum machine and Operator??? I didnt get those....am I supposed to?

spacecat

Post by spacecat » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:05 am

...beautiful... :!:

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:07 am

bendybones wrote: 2.
What is Sound Objects Lite? Again, read everything found nothing.
Details here: http://www.ableton.com/pages/live_8/ann ... nt/library

Looks like it is a cut down version of SonArte's SoundObjects : http://www.sonarte.ca/article.php?id_article=16

According to their website its a sample library of weird shit like: saw blades, plumbing pipes, ceramic tiles, metal sheets.

posssu

Post by posssu » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:10 am

Blaydrnnnr wrote:I have a question please...total noob here, just upgraded to Live 7 from Live 7 Lite, last week, ( Jan 13th??) the site for 8 says free drum machine and Operator??? I didnt get those....am I supposed to?
I don't know the terms, they are there on the web page, but you should get them when you register your product. But find the terms, I'm sure they are published on the web page somewhere (dates for who are allowed to get the free stuff etc)
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

Blaydrnnnr

Post by Blaydrnnnr » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:16 am

Yeah... I've been looking.. I dont see any terms ...I am probably missing something...I emailed customercare... we'll see. if anyone see's anything I dont let me know.... 8) I'm getting ready to buy a few things, dont want to spend what I dont have to. Thanks for the replies....off to ask MANY questions.

insidium

Post by insidium » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:32 am

Had a quick browse through the thread and couldn't see anything about this.

In the live 8 video when demonstrating the group function there are numerical values next to the volume fader indicating the exact volume of the track.

This would suggest that you can now type in numerical values for track volume yes? Sure hope so, would be so much easier to be able to type -6 than roughly pull the fader down 6db.

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:39 am

insidium wrote:Had a quick browse through the thread and couldn't see anything about this.

In the live 8 video when demonstrating the group function there are numerical values next to the volume fader indicating the exact volume of the track.

This would suggest that you can now type in numerical values for track volume yes? Sure hope so, would be so much easier to be able to type -6 than roughly pull the fader down 6db.
Live 7 does this already.. the mixer section can expand by dragging the top divider line upwards..

insidium

Post by insidium » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:09 am

Man!! I figured as it hadn't been mentioned this could have been the case and just found the info in the manual.

I can't believe this! I've been struggling away forever with this. Ridiculous. Why not have it visible all the time or at lease a toggle button. Having something hidden like that is insane, I'm almost in tears with all the pain that could have been avoided!!!!!

Thanks for the reply though.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:36 am

Johnny Beat wrote:Wait... Dual monitor support? It already has it.

This is how I use it with 2 monitors on my laptop:..................

EDIT: LOL I just saw what the names of tracks 25 and 26 show lolololol how stupid is that! :D
"Hey man, stretch that cock out a few bars."

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:03 am

mholloway wrote:
bendybones wrote: Maybe they didn't miss it.
Maybe they just thought it was not important.
It certainly isn't for me.
Live is one of the few seq's or perhaps the only seq that can comfortaly be run on one screen.
And I love that!
I also love not having extra screens cluttering up my studio or costing me money.
+1

seriously, i don't understand this misguided assumption that Live is "supposed" have separate screens/windows for it's interface, and just hasn't "gotten" there yet.....the single-screen/window interface (other than flipping session/arrangement) is one of the things i LOVE about live, and hope never changes. floating windows destroy my workflow. i don't want a clip window that moves around, overlaps other things....

the ableton GUI is an example of simple = better. i'm very thankful live8 didn't TOUCH it. good job guys.
LOL some of you guys crack me up. Its not really a big deal. I just want to move some stuff from here, to right over there. I have extra monitors lying around the house, they don't cost me money. Why does it bother you that I am a huge geek and have random equipment lying around that I would like to utilize? I dont see how this is peeing your "im totally happy with live" cornflakes.

Overall it is just easier when I can have a mixer on one screen, and a bunch of other stuff on the other. Not really a fancy request. Nobody said it was "supposed" too have it. Just that we "want" it too have it. Like I said, lots of good stuff in 8, kinda funny needless responses though.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:25 am

Johnny Beat wrote:Wait... Dual monitor support? It already has it.

This is how I use it with 2 monitors on my laptop:

The 2nd monitor is placed slightly behind and above my laptop. The arrangement is displayed on it, while the clip views are displayed on my laptop. Basicly that line in the middle is the division line :)

EDIT: LOL I just saw what the names of tracks 25 and 26 show lolololol how stupid is that! :D
Not as stupid as me just realizing how lame I am for not doing this years ago. :oops: Thanks for waking me up!

Johnny Beat

Post by Johnny Beat » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:26 am

the_planet wrote: "Hey man, stretch that cock out a few bars."
Lmao or:
"Move the cock and the jar thingies a bit further!"

haha
Machinesworking wrote:Not as stupid as me just realizing how lame I am for not doing this years ago. :oops: Thanks for waking me up!
Yeah, it's pretty convinient actually! :roll:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:11 am

Johnny Beat wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Not as stupid as me just realizing how lame I am for not doing this years ago. :oops: Thanks for waking me up!
Yeah, it's pretty convinient actually! :roll:
Well it works anyway, biggest complaint while writing is having to constantly resize the piano roll. :?