favorite new features in Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:07 pm

Angstrom wrote:you are a bit off in imagining how it works.

is each pass able to be rendered separately?

Each pass adds to the buffer, so you can't "unravel" it later. You could simply record the raw audio to the same track though (or one in the same group)
can you explain this part a little more?
Angstrom wrote:Can each pass have its own effect added :
If I understand you right; yes - the feedback path can be intercepted and you can put effects in that path.group
Cool...

Angstrom wrote:
Does the first pass set the default for the subsequent passes? For example, if the first pass is a two bar loop, is the second able to be three or five?

that's pretty weird. If you record 2 bars what would happen in the empty bar 3?
you can double and halve the buffer. so if you record 2 bars, you can doublt to 4, 8, 16 etc. and then halve back down if you like
group

I was hoping that each pass would be independent so you could build up polyrythmic(? There is a better term for this, but i'm way to distracted to remember it right now) layers. The first layer might be two bars and the second layer three bars, so that the two bar layer repeats one and a half times for each of the second layers. Are you saying that this is not possible and that the two bar layer will play for the three bars but with one bar of silence?

Angstrom wrote:I am imagining it to work a bit like impulse(for want of a better analogy) in that every layer has its own unique controls...
Maybe???
Angstrom wrote:you are imagining yourself getting MaxforLive then ;)
You had me at "You are imagining". 8)
Will the MAX4Live add on allow us to crack open all of lives devices?

I'm sorry :oops:
My ability to quote seems to have gone down the toilet... :cry:
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:11 pm

whoa there, quote hell!
I was hoping that each pass would be independent so you could build up polyrythmic(? There is a better term for this, but i'm way to distracted to remember it right now) layers. The first layer might be two bars and the second layer three bars, so that the two bar layer repeats one and a half times for each of the second layers. Are you saying that this is not possible and that the two bar layer will play for the three bars but with one bar of silence?
just use two loopers in a rack. one is a 3 bar and one is a 2 bar.
they actually can share (assigned) controls using some sort of weird magic.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:14 pm

Homebelly wrote: Will the MAX4Live add on allow us to crack open all of lives devices?
something I read specifically said "you can open max for live devices" or something like that - I don't think you could open existing Live devices - unless they were all made with max

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:16 pm

fatrabbit wrote:The Bob Geldof vocoder.

Seriously:
-Looper (tempo adjusts to first clip recorded especially)
-New effects (may be under-rated in the hype)
-Akai APC
-All the small enhacements that they introduce and are under-rated.
Fo sho.

The tempo djust looper plus the APC are all my problems answered in one go.

so totally stoked about that.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Angstrom wrote:whoa there, quote hell!
I know right??? :oops: 8O
It all went terribly wrong.
Sorry about that.

Okay..
Put the looper into a rack.
Very cool....
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:19 pm

forge wrote:
Homebelly wrote: Will the MAX4Live add on allow us to crack open all of lives devices?
something I read specifically said "you can open max for live devices" or something like that - I don't think you could open existing Live devices - unless they were all made with max
I agree the Live Devices are not Max Devices, at least they aren't right now (!)

But how long before every device has had a clone made by a user, or an Ableton staffer?

Lots of the Ableton staff are multi-skilled in software, but are not directly involved in making instruments for the App right now because of the size of the company. This systems means that those same dudes who now must be doing the more managerial jobs will also have a chance to knock out a few whacky instruments on the side.
It will be interesting.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:26 pm

Angstrom wrote:
forge wrote:
I agree the Live Devices are not Max Devices, at least they aren't right now (!)

But how long before every device has had a clone made by a user, or an Ableton staffer?

Lots of the Ableton staff are multi-skilled in software, but are not directly involved in making instruments for the App right now because of the size of the company. This systems means that those same dudes who now must be doing the more managerial jobs will also have a chance to knock out a few whacky instruments on the side.
It will be interesting.
looking in Herr Kleine's direction? ;-)

yes absolutely right - that will be an awesome side effect

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 pm

I think i might have to stop visiting for the rest of today..
My mind is on the verge of an explosive break down... 8O 8) 8)

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 pm

Very nice improvements all around.. I'm super psyched about the Looper in particular 8)

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:35 pm

I just jizzed in my pants! Finally, legit crossfades, grouptracks, slicing at transients, groove template, and a whole slew of other things that are just gravy on top of these critical new features. I had high expectations that were just blown away, though since I've been using since early v2 days, I shouldn't be surprised. Abelton kicks ass!

I haven't had time to read everything--when is the expected beta and potential release date?
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Beta end of January.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:58 pm

Parameter grouping, the looper, and volume crossfading are all way up there on my list. I'm also really curious about the improvements to the MIDI editor, but that was only vaguely mentioned in the video on the main page. Time will tell :)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:32 am

there's a step input mode, you step backward and forward using the arrow keys
you can now copy and paste properly, because there's an input position cursor / line / thingy

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 am

sublimelobc wrote:I think there is little doubt that Ableton steals the show at NAMM, wish I was there.

Are the Abes partying hard today? Is there a paypal link where we can invite drinks for the Abes, or is it all work over there??
Too true. Why is Robert on here anyway? Shouldn't he be getting hideously drunk right now?

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:49 am

Angstrom wrote:there's a step input mode, you step backward and forward using the arrow keys
you can now copy and paste properly, because there's an input position cursor / line / thingy
Sweet, nice catch. I guess my cold is causing me to miss things :)