So what did the Abes totally forget to put in Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Re: So what did the Abes totally forget to put in Live 8?

Post by sporkles » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:38 pm

They've omitted a couple of no-brainers, which really are extremely minor tweaks to the MIDI clip editor:
1) The possibility of selecting several MIDI clips and transpose them simultaneously (as suggested in my sig.)
2) The possibility of fold a MIDI clip to a scale, i.e. you record a bunch of notes and collapse the clip, just like you
do with ordinary clip fold, but with "fold to scale" you will get the same notes displayed throughout the entire octave
range (e.g. you record C4 - F4 - A4, and when you click "fold to scale", you get C1-F1-A1, C2-F2-A2, C3-F3-A3, C4-F4-A4,
C5-F5-A5, etc., etc.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:59 pm

nathannn wrote: you totally come off with some weird breed of angry baseball fan car mechanic music buff computer ass.
This should be your new sig tone. :lol:

No seriously, to get back to the subject, every other DAW that I've used has a window with the basic settings for the metronome, emphasis, volume, and at least 8 types of sounds. Ableton could easily implement something like this in Preferences. This really wouldn't require much work on their part.

Normally I do just use a VST drum machine, I would like to use the metronome simply and quickly, that's all.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:06 pm

If we are shooting for "cpmpletely fucking obvious", I might point out Live's complete lack of cue points. Again.

Every other performance-related app (See Tractor, Serrato, Decadance, etc) have cue points. Imagine the flexibility of cue points, not only on Warped songs,but midi clips, drum loops, etc. it would make for a really cool "shuffle" feature.

But, whatever. Right? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:33 pm

kabuki wrote:If we are shooting for "cpmpletely fucking obvious", I might point out Live's complete lack of cue points. Again.

Every other performance-related app (See Tractor, Serrato, Decadance, etc) have cue points. Imagine the flexibility of cue points, not only on Warped songs,but midi clips, drum loops, etc. it would make for a really cool "shuffle" feature.

But, whatever. Right?
Doesn't Live already have Cue Points? At this point it just needs an interface in Live, Max for Live or an API hack. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a video last year from a guy named Steve, that showed it was possible to trigger cue points in a clip.
The MIDI Live API has cuepoints in the code too.

Its there, we just can't access it yet with ease.
Max for Live should be a red carpet leading straight to this feature.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:49 pm

a function that let's Ableton's output to be controlled by a talent/imagination/creativity plug-in that is rewired to the mind/body/soul controller and is sidechained to the SME filter (a VST plug that filters out all the "So Many Excuses" from 20 Hz to 20 KHz that our ego comes up with) which eliminates all blame to ableton for crappy music.. Hopefully MAX will take care of that.. but for now, I must wait until Ableton 9 before I can really have all the tools I need to get anything done..

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:59 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
kabuki wrote:If we are shooting for "cpmpletely fucking obvious", I might point out Live's complete lack of cue points. Again.

But, whatever. Right?
Doesn't Live already have Cue Points? At this point it just needs an interface in Live, Max for Live or an API hack. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a video last year from a guy named Steve, that showed it was possible to trigger cue points in a clip.

Then I'm even more baffled. But if I have to pay MORE money to get a feature that should have been available 2 versions ago, I might riot.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:12 pm

kabuki wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:

But, whatever. Right?

Then I'm even more baffled. But if I have to pay MORE money to get a feature that should have been available 2 versions ago, I might riot.
OSC should have been available years ago. Hundreds more examples of that sort of reasoning...

The trend with the Live release seems to be that that most requested features (apart from session recording) are prioritized. And its not like this is the easiest feature to implement. Its already there in the form of nudge buttons. It probably takes some figuring out to rethink a whole system of where a clip starts playing and make it work with legato mode and follow actions.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:40 pm

hoffman2k wrote:It probably takes some figuring out to rethink a whole system of where a clip starts playing and make it work with legato mode and follow actions.
Easy: Follow actions start from the "clip start." Legato Mode: works the same a if it were nudged... I don't see what's so hard, except to find a place to put the cue trigger buttons on the already crowded and bloated Live GUI. Or one could set the buttons as midi-assignable items. Wow. That took me all of 5 minutes to figure out one of possibly many answers to the problem. The Points themselves could be assigned using the contextual menu. Limited to 5 or 6 per track.

There are a baffling many features Live doesn't have (program/patch messages, a scratching/beatmatching instrument, OSC support...), but I'm bitching about this one.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:51 pm

kabuki wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:It probably takes some figuring out to rethink a whole system of where a clip starts playing and make it work with legato mode and follow actions.
Easy: Follow actions start from the "clip start." Legato Mode: works the same a if it were nudged... I don't see what's so hard, except to find a place to put the cue trigger buttons on the already crowded and bloated Live GUI. Or one could set the buttons as midi-assignable items. Wow. That took me all of 5 minutes to figure out one of possibly many answers to the problem. The Points themselves could be assigned using the contextual menu. Limited to 5 or 6 per track.

There are a baffling many features Live doesn't have (program/patch messages, a scratching/beatmatching instrument, OSC support...), but I'm bitching about this one.
:lol:

Yeah, that used to be my attitude too. But on top of things we can anticipate, there are also things we can never guess. Maybe the new warping system with markers, pseudo markers and transients are the ground layer for Cue points. Transients and Markers didn't play well from beta 1. How about adding Cue points there and then?

Anyway, I don't need to make excuses for Ableton. All I can say is that I've been there. Thinking the solution was so easy and I was brilliant for coming up with it. Until a developer interjects with some technical problems I really didn't consider. Making me feel like dumbass.

And when it comes to features, its easy to see patterns (that are or arent there) in the features to reassure you everything is going in the right direction. For example the Cross Fades, I'd say those are a precursor to Bezier Curves. Something that should have been in Live 3!

rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:53 pm

-Tablet Support

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:57 pm

child support

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:57 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Thinking the solution was so easy and I was brilliant for coming up with it. Until a developer interjects with some technical problems I really didn't consider. Making me feel like dumbass
I would welcome an Ab dev to interject and make me look like a dumbass. At least that would be an uncharacteristic acknowledgement of the feature request.

But then again. making me look like a dumbass is one more thing that is so easy, I can think of 100 ways to do it.

:)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:01 pm

tech support :P
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:24 am

lower back support