So what did the Abes totally forget to put in Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:21 pm

Will Live do the dishes and have sex with my girlfriend because I'm too busy figuring out Max?

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Gurulogic wrote:
Geezus wrote:I've never seen so much bitching over such a mind-blowingly expansive and groundbreaking update in my life. This is the next level of live musical expression and yet we have like 10 pages of bitching over a bunch of mundane bullshit. Damn near every major complaint we had about Live was addressed in this version and then they also went ahead and integrated the most advanced graphical audio/visual/performance software on the planet so that you can DESIGN YOUR OWN FUCKING FEATURES. OMG!!! Gift horse in the mouth, please dont look.
At least it wasn't 10 pages of listening to completely missing the point opinions like yours..
Do you even read beyond the title before posting?Oh well, I guess you are allowed to waste everyones time with pontless mundane bullshit too!
yup

geo

Group tracks in live 8

Post by geo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:51 pm

Ok, we have group tracks in 8 in session view. What about group tracks in the arrangement view, anyone knows if they are included?

eddu

Post by eddu » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Really sick way of thinking geo. Easy. :)

ilia

Post by ilia » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:20 pm

eddu wrote:Really sick way of thinking geo. Easy. :)
well, we tend to worry, you know...
they didn't show the arrange view during group tracks description. I wonder if you can automatically move/slice clips in all grouped tracks at once.

jamester

Post by jamester » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:56 pm

ilia wrote:I wonder if you can automatically move/slice clips in all grouped tracks at once.
I certainly hop so...I've been assuming so, and will be greatly disapointed if this is not the case.
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

buzby

Post by buzby » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 pm

voice recognition and instant volume gain when live detects the words from the girlfriend

"are you going to sit on that thing all day"

:wink:
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

Geezus

Re: Group tracks in live 8

Post by Geezus » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:21 pm

geo wrote:Ok, we have group tracks in 8 in session view. What about group tracks in the arrangement view, anyone knows if they are included?
same thing.

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:29 pm

ilia wrote:they didn't show the arrange view during group tracks description. I wonder if you can automatically move/slice clips in all grouped tracks at once.
yes you can..

sunrahrahrah

Post by sunrahrahrah » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:00 am

Buleriachk wrote:??????????
sunrahrahrah wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:An instrument tuner (i.e. a

guitar tuner)
just use operator
set one operator to the hz value of what you want to tune - set it to play a constant tone and tune your instrument.

Or do you want something to just read your audio input and tell you if its in tune or not? I just always do it by ear.......

spacecat

Post by spacecat » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:08 am

are there bezier curves included :?: =)

webslave

Post by webslave » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:40 pm

From what I can see it's missing.

Multiple take comping (the only real reason I switched to Logic, makes recording vocals and guitar solos so much easier and even they havnt quite got it right as it's very buggy).

OMF support - a way to easiy move between DAWS. For many they are stuck with one programme because of this and have to do the whole export each track with FX.

In short the makers of Live are obsessed with dance music and don't really have the hardcore DAW tools use who like vibrating strings want. It's more like Ableton Bleep and Bloop than Live at times.

I really don't need any more plugins or FX just make sure the standard ones are top notch/ It's like Photoshop, get the core right and those who know the tool never need to touch any plugins. With most band recording all I need is reverb, compressor - track and multiband, and good eq, all of which are easier to automate and have good working well labeled presets.

I see we have grouping, a step up from the old bus model still used by some programmes (not needed as this is software).

So let's make Ableton Live a proper DAW - it would only take about three or four new features. Enough of the extra instruments and plugins but full marks for MAX intergration by the way.

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:03 pm

webslave wrote:From what I can see it's missing.

Multiple take comping (the only real reason I switched to Logic, makes recording vocals and guitar solos so much easier and even they havnt quite got it right as it's very buggy).
With Live 8, this is the only thing left that I miss about cubase and Logic.

You can sort of do this in Live by setting up mappings to fire new clips and hit a button every time you loop through a second recording vocals but it's not like Logic/Cubase where that is seemless and then you get an interface to pick and choose across takes and sum them.

I wonder if the new Looper effect can be used like this though to a degree. Where you can just sit there singing and have it record each take. Probably no way to get each later to its own track to sum though.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Simmo

Re:

Post by Simmo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:37 pm

webslave wrote:From what I can see it's missing.

OMF support - a way to easiy move between DAWS. For many they are stuck with one programme because of this and have to do the whole export each track with FX.
Agreed, lack of OMF support is ridiculous because it removes the capability to easily move sets between DAWs and more importantly Pro-Tools. Our studios use OMF heavily between customers and projects, the lack of OMF support within Live now is causing us to have to charge for export/import time; the end result of which is a number of customers are now moving to Logic 8 which I'm sure Ableton aren't particularly keen on.

Lack of x64 support removes the capability to load x64 plugins (which a number of VST authors are moving to now - for example Z3TA+ is available in both flavours). Cubase 5 is fully x64 native now under Windows and Logic 8 has a planned x64 maintenance release in line with the release of snow-leopard.

I love Live and the one-window workflow its provides (especially as the primary alternative in the PC world is Cubase 5 which is a pain in the arse to use) but if Ableton really want to pitch Live at the pro level against Cubase and Logic you guys really need to incorporate intra DAW compatibility features such as OMF.

In addition, I'm not sure what the stance is on VST3 (not being on the beta list I don't know if VST3 will be supported under Live 8) but unless Steinberg have introduced a more rediculous licensing programme for VST3 its a well worthy extension.

Simmo

mbenigni

Re: So what did the Abes totally forget to put in Live 8?

Post by mbenigni » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:19 pm

As far as I can tell from reading recent posts, they "forgot" (ie. chose not to) add the ability to map Program Change messages. Many of us would really benefit from this - I've got piles of useless gear that would suddenly be viable if this simple blindspot were addressed. A Max/MSP fix will probably be feasible, but it's still an unnecessary bit of software running in your template (and will there be an additional cost for the ability to run Max components?) I'd rather see it in the core program.

Similarly, I'd love to see an simple, integrated, chromatic tuner - say in the toolbar. It's just a bit of a hassle to have to break w/ workflow and bring up a VST UI in order to confirm your in tune sometimes. But admittedly, I've never bothered to write Ableton on the topic. I know a lot of their customer base works exlusively with electronic and virtual instruments.

On the topic of notation, it would be really awesome if someone - Ableton or a third party or maybe even an independent Max programmer - could work out a way to bring up a MIDI clip in an alternate staff notation view for simple reading and editing. It wouldn't need to be a full blown formal notation solution, just something to allow for more intuitive MIDI editing for those who read notation.

P.S. I always have thought, and still do think that you ought be able to export MP3's directly from Ableton Live. Has this been addressed in 8?