So what did the Abes totally forget to put in Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:10 am

I'm guessing 180 for the upgrade to live 8 and about 300 for max for live. who wants to take bets on it?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:12 am

I also wonder about the CPU hit when running both programs just to achieve some basic improvements to Live...

the_woof

Post by the_woof » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:14 am

LOFA wrote:I still wonder how the old 128 parameter thing is going to hold in the face of so many new people using max.
Watch the videos... the 128 parameter thing HAS BEEN FIXED! You can now pick which parameters you want to automate/see when you fold out the device, apparently by pressing a configure button on the plugin's device in Live and then moving the parameters you want. It might still be limited to 128 but it's not the first 128 anymore.

I'm way surprised there weren't a thousand joyous posts just on that subject.
djsynchro wrote:For a female vocal try companding a mid-side encoded signal with a ratio of around 18:2 at around 2.5k, possibly a lower ratio if the source is very sibilant.
my music

Gurulogic

Post by Gurulogic » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:32 am

oblique strategies wrote:I also wonder about the CPU hit when running both programs just to achieve some basic improvements to Live...
I run several instances of Bidule with tons of basic midi and functionality improvements to Live and there's no real noticable hit.
Funny thing is is that for 75 bucks you can already get a lot of the similar functionality from Bidule and free vst utilities as the Max implant seems to offer...?

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:38 am

Yeah but it doesn't plug into live like Max will...

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:45 am

We have to keep in mind here that we don't actually know all the new features and improvements yet, just the main ones.

One thing that sucks about the browser and rum racks is that you can only preview samples, not drum rack "Cells" like a muli-layered drum hit from session drums for example (in sampler format), or an operator drum sound. This is because it doesn't preview instrument devices. However it should. I suppose it would have to allow a default note, or in the case of a nested drum sound, it would know what note by what cell it is.

I do hope they they did something about this, but I won't get my hopes up too much...
Professional Shark Jumper.

Silentmusic

Post by Silentmusic » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:50 am

Would really love to have seen an option to save/load multiple templates.

As a composer this would save lots of time instead of dragging them in and out of the folder.
G5 Dual 2.7 Ghz, OSX 10.4.11, 8 GB Ram,
Live 7,
Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz, OSX 10.4.7, 7200rpm 2GB Ram

http://www.virb.com/kimcarroll
http://www.esession.com/kimcarroll GOT GUITAR ?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:26 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I'm guessing 180 for the upgrade to live 8 and about 300 for max for live. who wants to take bets on it?
Not betting, sounds dead on. Now I have to figure out a way to justify it. :?

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:51 am

they missed a feature that connects you to the forum and types in the problem you have.

"Go to next" at the end of clip.... is this possible to creat in mfl?
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:00 am

The ability to view multiple automation lines at once, on a single track.
That will have to wait until a rewrite I suppose.

Kaotek

Post by Kaotek » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:10 am

I would like:

The ability to see the wav view of each track while djing

EUCON support

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:06 am

the_woof wrote:
LOFA wrote:I still wonder how the old 128 parameter thing is going to hold in the face of so many new people using max.
Watch the videos... the 128 parameter thing HAS BEEN FIXED! You can now pick which parameters you want to automate/see when you fold out the device, apparently by pressing a configure button on the plugin's device in Live and then moving the parameters you want. It might still be limited to 128 but it's not the first 128 anymore.

I'm way surprised there weren't a thousand joyous posts just on that subject.
Perfect. Thank you for clearing this up. Now as long as I can use max or MFL to mediate shared influences on a single midi assignment, I am gold. Of course, that is a major if.

Regarding the pricing: it would be so cool if owners of Live and Max got a discount for owning both. That would be a wonderful example of shared influences on a single event.

noise

Post by noise » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:09 am

ErnstEiswürfel wrote:
Kodama wrote:+1 for Session View Automation.

I don't really get it.. what do you all mean with session view automation?
In session view, you have clips. So what's wrong with clip envelopes?
:?:
say you are recording a synth clip and you do some knob tweaking while recording your synth clip in session view. Once you hit the play button on that clip, your midi notes will play back, but you will notice that your knob tweaks have not been recorded. (mod wheel [cc1] and PitchBend are exceptions as they ARE recorded in session clips. i think xpression (cc11) and some others may be too?...but the only parameters that do seem to be recorded are moreless "hardwired" midi general code sorts of controls)
if you arm the global record when you record that clip, you CAN go into the arrangement view, grab the envelope you created when your synth's knob(s) were tweaked, and copy that to the corresponding parameter in your session view clip...
but that exercise is a bit like reaching around your ass to get to your other elbow...
with EVERYTHING ELSE that Live does perfectly and incredibly, this one niggly bit has been something of a nit to pick for us impossible to please folk :wink:
there is another workaround in that by means of employing a loopback device to record the knob tweaks in your session view clip, but again- that is not as elegant a solution to the problem as one would imagine in a platform that is as amazing as Live.
the request for such facility stems from the fact that it would *seem* that one *should* be able to record this sort of data live on the fly instead of by copy/paste into the Live clips or using a loopback device...

That said- I'm simply blown away with what I've seen in the vids of the upcoming 8. Absolutely fascinating and wonderous stuff. thanks for addressing the 128 parameter issue, thanks for the new warping facility, thanks for GROOVES (hot damn!) Kudos, Abes!!!

jamester

Post by jamester » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:19 am

Not sure if this is also something that qualifies as a "MFL" answer, but customizeable key commands and macros are a huge workflow improvement IMO, and something that really got me into Reaper. Just being able to slice a clip with "S" (like almost every other daw) instead of the awkward Ctrl+E would be so nice...but it goes way deeper than that of course.

Other than that, they should improve the Reverb (like they did the Compressor in v.7).
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

ilia

Post by ilia » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:34 am

jamester wrote:Not sure if this is also something that qualifies as a "MFL" answer, but customizeable key commands and macros are a huge workflow improvement IMO, and something that really got me into Reaper. Just being able to slice a clip with "S" (like almost every other daw) instead of the awkward Ctrl+E would be so nice...but it goes way deeper than that of course.
if on PC, Vitamin L is your friend.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=89115