Live8 - New GUI? A symbol of stagnancy!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BigBuddha

Live8 - New GUI? A symbol of stagnancy!

Post by BigBuddha » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:57 am

For me is the fact that Ableton did not change anything of the GUI the symbol that they stopped being innovative und pushing things further. Stagnancy at its best. All new features being implemented are requested for years now. Other DAWs supported such features since a long time - it seems that many user this days forget that this is not a free update for Live 7!
MacBook 2,16 GHz
2 GB RAM
Ableton Live 7.10.0
__
Live 7 need:
__
Bezier Curves
Crossfades
Groove-Quantization

BigBuddha

Re: Live8 - New GUI? A symbol of stagnancy!

Post by BigBuddha » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 am

BigBuddha wrote:For me is the fact that Ableton did not change anything of the GUI the symbol that they stopped being innovative und pushing things further. Stagnancy at its best. All new features being implemented are requested for years now. Other DAWs supported such features since a long time - it seems that many user these days forget that this is not a free update for Live 7!
MacBook 2,16 GHz
2 GB RAM
Ableton Live 7.10.0
__
Live 7 need:
__
Bezier Curves
Crossfades
Groove-Quantization

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:59 am

yeah, where are our patch cables and animated cooling fans for f*cks sake? it feels like I'm not using hardware at all!

chrome is the new lame.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Post by 4.33 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:15 am

also i request an animated hand (in 100% proportion to mine) to operate it all (mouse cursor is soooo last century!!) and free 3D glasses so i can delve deeper into production

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:18 am

and a dancing Japanese girl that acts all shy but she really likes your big American beats
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

xherv

Post by xherv » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:21 am

WTB A graphic of an APC40 which I can click on instead of the Live window
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?

Post by 4.33 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:21 am

Johnisfaster wrote:and a dancing Japanese girl that acts all shy but she really likes your big American beats
dude, he's from germany!
Last edited by 4.33 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:21 am

Johnisfaster wrote:and a dancing Japanese girl that acts all shy but she really likes your big American beats
:lol:
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:24 am

xherv wrote:WTB A graphic of an APC40 which I can click on instead of the Live window
that sounds awesome

personally I want a graphic of a monitor that has the same thing as my real monitor on it only smaller. for when I feel like clicking on smaller clips.

that way I could have a big Japanese girl that acts all shy but really likes your big American beats AND a smaller Japanese girl that acts all shy but really likes your big American beats.

and when they get together... well... we've all seen how awesome vomit can be.

Post by 4.33 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:28 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
xherv wrote:WTB A graphic of an APC40 which I can click on instead of the Live window
that sounds awesome

personally I want a graphic of a monitor that has the same thing as my real monitor on it only smaller. for when I feel like clicking on smaller clips.

that way I could have a big Japanese girl that acts all shy but really likes your big American beats AND a smaller Japanese girl that acts all shy but really likes your big American beats.

i think this can be done with max for live, if you get past that ugly gui

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:30 am

Johnisfaster wrote:and when they get together... well... we've all seen how awesome vomit can be.
:(
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:31 am

4.33 wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:
that sounds awesome

i think this can be done with max for live, if you get past that ugly gui
that's really good news. I was worried I'd be stuck with Chinese girls vomiting on each other, Japanese girls are way hotter. Hot Japanese girls is the only thing thats gonna convince me I'm using a real hardware console. or maybe some chrome and animated wiggly cables.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:36 am

I prefer my DAW to look like it's built from mahogany. If it has't got authentic looking woodgrain, I just don't feel like I'm making music.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:38 am

ollyb303 wrote:I prefer my DAW to look like it's built from mahogany. If it has't got authentic looking woodgrain, I just don't feel like I'm making music.
thats a really good point. Japanese girls love wood.

:)

Nicknackerski

Post by Nicknackerski » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:44 am

It might be that ableton has produced a lot more work on this release than you think. Hopefully Implementing features to the program for increased stablity,

i'm hoping some of the developing time has been spent improving control surfaces support. Using Mackie control is great for faders,mute and solo etc, but terrible for plugins as it just assigns parameters all over the place :lol:

I recently bought a Novation remote sl which is perfect for plugins as you can build you own control template for each individual plugin and store it as the default on opening.
The problem is with this is you can't control ableton itself in Automap Universial mode as it needs HUI support in control prefs,
ableton doesn't have this. :evil: ........yet?

Anyway, I think the GUI is well designed, in my humble opinion ableton should spend their precious developing time on Music Features as opposed to Graphics, visuals etc.... :)