Life Changing musical purchases

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Human Koala
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:36 pm
Location: france, Paris
Contact:

Post by Human Koala » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:38 pm

easy for me :
Image

HK

last man on earth
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:31 am
Location: USA

Post by last man on earth » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Faith No More - The Real Thing

I was also one of those kids who was watching MTV when it turned from static into a channel...the good old days.

4.33
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:49 pm
Location: Moscow

Post by 4.33 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:50 pm

whole lotta guitarists here :lol:

how many people have switched to electronic music being frustrated of realization that after satriani and vai there's nothing left to do on a guitar?

then there are of course tom morello and, more recently, yoav.

for me, the guitar spell has been broken by bjork, as once she said in interview "guitar is boring" while i was totally all over her homogenic and vespertine albums, and realized that in all of that weirdness and beauty there was not a single guitar note

trevorc
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:09 am
Location: valencia, spain
Contact:

Post by trevorc » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:54 pm

Machinesworking wrote:First music that inspired me to write was this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iky9KglNFs8
and yeah band mates over the years have been all "Devo? WTF? Mayan!?"
fantastic. i saw devo twice around 1980-81, those lightbox things burned into your retina so hard you could still see them two days later :D

leedsquietman
Posts: 6659
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:56 am
Location: greater toronto area

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:52 am

I disagree that there is nothing left to do on guitar - maybe shredding is at a dead end (and not before time) but with guitars and emerging technology, plus all the weird and wacky stuff you can do to guitar tracks in Live with FX, warping, tweaking, messing with guitar loops in Sampler and soon to be new device Looper, much improved MIDI guitar interfaces and software and such I don't think the guitar is a dead instrument at all.

In fact, I wish more people using Live would do some innovative guitar stuff to help lift the stereotype that it is only for nerds into tarnce and techno that is pervasive. Nothing against nerds into techno and only mild discrimination against tarnce heads, but it would be a nice change to have Live get some recognition beyond those circles. :lol:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

adventurepants_
Posts: 1773
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 3:05 am

Post by adventurepants_ » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:04 am

4.33 wrote:whole lotta guitarists here :lol:

how many people have switched to electronic music being frustrated of realization that after satriani and vai there's nothing left to do on a guitar?

then there are of course tom morello and, more recently, yoav.

for me, the guitar spell has been broken by bjork, as once she said in interview "guitar is boring" while i was totally all over her homogenic and vespertine albums, and realized that in all of that weirdness and beauty there was not a single guitar note
Vai and Satriani are the end point of a particular very narrow style of guitar. There are people doing amazing things on guitar outside of rock. Its funny but I grew up with those 2 as heroes but these days Id rather hear Neil Young do a 12 minute solo, or Sonic Youth do 15 minutes of noise than listen to 1 minute of Satch.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23643
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:15 am

Satch and Vai are role models for me to not bother to learn to shred.

they're not the end all be all of guitar, the guitar has been around for hundreds of years, giving them that title is short sighted but many many many people would agree (in between sessions of Dungeons and Dragons and comic book reading.)



anyway, purchases...

Fat Boy Slim - You've Come A Long Way (when I heard Gangster Tripping I HAD TO get into electronic music. embarrassing now, I know.

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream, I learned to play by learning that album, a lot of my playing is ripping them off.

DJ Shadow - Entroducing - taught me how amazing drums can be.

New Order - all the early stuff - showed me that synths and guitars can coexist.

Amon Tobin - Supermodified - mind blowing samples.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Simbosan
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:35 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Simbosan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:27 am

Steve Hillage and Junior Brown for showing me that barking mad inspired insanity can actually pay off, anything goes man... n - e - thing

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

Sibanger
Posts: 2225
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:44 am
Location: Melbourne/Australia
Contact:

Post by Sibanger » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:04 am

Oh, I did buy a ticket to see a little band that Mike Patton had just joined called Faith No More.
Saw them in a smallish pub gig with another 300 or so lucky punters in Melbourne around 1989/90ish.

That was a life changing moment.

I got lost after the show and was found in a sex shop buying up on, .......stuff.

Crazy night 8O
Last edited by Sibanger on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

swett
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Costa Rica/ Oregon

Post by swett » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:42 am

Meat Is Murder by The Smiths changed everything

4.33
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:49 pm
Location: Moscow

Post by 4.33 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:30 am

adventurepants_ wrote: Vai and Satriani are the end point of a particular very narrow style of guitar. There are people doing amazing things on guitar outside of rock. Its funny but I grew up with those 2 as heroes but these days Id rather hear Neil Young do a 12 minute solo, or Sonic Youth do 15 minutes of noise than listen to 1 minute of Satch.

agreed, but this is also was a very important style of guitar, where it is centerstage, the storyteller.

for me, as the guitar stepped back to background i had to think of new (or old) ways of storytelling.

rbro
Posts: 1530
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:09 pm
Location: Novato, CA
Contact:

Post by rbro » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:47 am

4.33 wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote: Vai and Satriani are the end point of a particular very narrow style of guitar. There are people doing amazing things on guitar outside of rock. Its funny but I grew up with those 2 as heroes but these days Id rather hear Neil Young do a 12 minute solo, or Sonic Youth do 15 minutes of noise than listen to 1 minute of Satch.

agreed, but this is also was a very important style of guitar, where it is centerstage, the storyteller.

for me, as the guitar stepped back to background i had to think of new (or old) ways of storytelling.
I wouldn't classify Vai or Satriani as "important" in the grand scheme of guitar players. Hendrix, Van Halen, maybe Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend......I liked Steve Vai better when he played in Zappa's band a la "Stevie's Spanking". I could never really take either of those guys too seriously....

4.33
Posts: 1198
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:49 pm
Location: Moscow

Post by 4.33 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:00 am

rbro wrote:
4.33 wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote: Vai and Satriani are the end point of a particular very narrow style of guitar. There are people doing amazing things on guitar outside of rock. Its funny but I grew up with those 2 as heroes but these days Id rather hear Neil Young do a 12 minute solo, or Sonic Youth do 15 minutes of noise than listen to 1 minute of Satch.

agreed, but this is also was a very important style of guitar, where it is centerstage, the storyteller.

for me, as the guitar stepped back to background i had to think of new (or old) ways of storytelling.
I wouldn't classify Vai or Satriani as "important" in the grand scheme of guitar players. Hendrix, Van Halen, maybe Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend......I liked Steve Vai better when he played in Zappa's band a la "Stevie's Spanking". I could never really take either of those guys too seriously....
you're kinda missing the point)

edit: but i really like your stuff

ThomasHelzle
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:48 pm
Contact:

Post by ThomasHelzle » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:45 pm

"Dead Man" Soundtrack by Neil Young
Sigur Ros ()


Both made me dive into making music again, buying and learning an accoustic guitar and lately a bass and combine this "analog" stuff with digital gear...

Not there yet though ;-)

Cheers,

Thomas Helzle
http://www.screendream.de

dysanfel
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:06 am

Post by dysanfel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Image

Image
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.11.x, Presonus FS, Live 9.x
Home Rig - i7-6700k Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlet 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 9.x

Post Reply