Life Changing musical purchases

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:12 pm

Tarekith wrote:Skinny Puppy - Last Rights. First time I heard music that made me go "wtf is this crazy beautiful noise". I knew then I had to get into electronic music.
Would NEVER Have guessed that. Kudos for not being a Puppy clone!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:20 pm

First music that inspired me to write was this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iky9KglNFs8
and yeah band mates over the years have been all "Devo? WTF? Mayan!?"

Lately Breakcore and Metal more than anything else. AFA techno and more pop versions of electronic music I like the older stuff. Somewhere along the line everyone started copying Depeche Mode vocals, and it all sounds the same.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:20 pm

My introduction to electronic music was via the industrial scene, groups like KMFDM, Puppy, haujobb, heavy water factory, ministry, etc. Used to hang out at the original WaxTrax store all the time back in the day. When they signed the first Underworld album I started going to clubs to check out more stuff like that, then got more into the dance side of things.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Tarekith wrote:My introduction to electronic music was via the industrial scene, groups like KMFDM, Puppy, haujobb, heavy water factory, ministry, etc. Used to hang out at the original WaxTrax store all the time back in the day. When they signed the first Underworld album I started going to clubs to check out more stuff like that, then got more into the dance side of things.
Yeah Underworld and Prodigy really came through in the 90's. I got bored with Industrial at that point, too many cheesy drum machine lines, and the advent of cheap mediocre digital gear I think didn't help.

With your description of your musical progression I would be surprised if you weren't at least a little into the future pop sound? Groups like VNV Nation and Covenant? Locally there's Tom Shear's world class project Assemblage 23.
All pretty dance oriented and super slick production value wise, A23 at least doesn't crush his music either.

Baron von Case

Post by Baron von Case » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:49 am

Nicknackerski wrote:Boards of canada.
Music has a right to children did this to me....Awesome music.
i do a fair bit of running and some of that that album accompanies me through my ipod touch,
when i heard one of their tunes (chromeakey Dreamcoat) i bought the entire back catalogue from Itunes.

AWESOME
I agree. I love BOC, especially MHTRTC and Geogaddi. Took me a while but their new stuff is growing on me too. It's interesting, because I enjoy their stuff so much but it's as far from the music I do as imaginable.

mattcellitti

Post by mattcellitti » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:24 am

I know it's not electronic, but it had to be listening to RUSH on my headphones when I was 13 (in 1993). Sounded like I was stoned without being in such a state.

Somehow, playing RUSH on Rockband drums has sparked a similar experience :D
Macbook Pro, Komplete, Kore

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:25 am

Gary Numan *Tubeway Army*- Are Friends Electric? I recorded it onto a cassette tape via a cassette tape recorder I got for Christmas 1978, and not too long after my 8th birthday in 1979, having heard it on the radio a few times, I rushed to my room to get the tape recorder and stuck it right up by the TV and recorded it from Top Of The Pops, May 1979 I believe.

I then proceeded to play this one song over and over and over and over again. I would take my portable cassette player out on the street on batteries and replay this badly recorded, mono, hissy tape full of with background noise like my mom yelling at my dad that 'Dinner Is In The Oven' during the middle of the second verse etc.

Oh fun days. Then I had some Blondie songs such as Atomic and Heart Of Glass on there before too long and was probably the scourge of the neighbourhood with my little Radio Shack tape recorder.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:31 am

Come from a 'rock' background.

Loved old school, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin etc

Devo really turned me on to synth music, and then Gary Numan. Janes Addiction was the last rock band I was really into. (Radio Head is not a rock band)

Then, I have to admit a very embarrassing fact.

I heard a Teisto track on one of the early Gatecrasher albums and it blew my mind. :oops:

What can I say. It got me into tarnce type music, but I have progressed from there. That was a long time ago. :lol:

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:42 am

mattcellitti wrote:I know it's not electronic, but it had to be listening to RUSH on my headphones when I was 13 (in 1993). Sounded like I was stoned without being in such a state.

Somehow, playing RUSH on Rockband drums has sparked a similar experience :D
LOL, you are the first person I've ever heard of that listened to Rush not stoned. :lol:

xherv

Post by xherv » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:01 am

Just on a philosophical or cultural level this really validated the concept of synthesis for me, that synthesis really could be just as valid as traditional instruments and that it really had it's own intangible beauty. Also, I feel like there aren't very many albums around that display synth sounds quite so lushly.
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:03 am

Radiohead - Kid A
Autechre - lp5
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

subbasshead

Post by subbasshead » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:20 am

funny
reading the topic of this thread i thought you meant
you meant most influential 'musical gadget'

which would have been my speakers: JBL LSRs
any & everything sounds better with better monitors
Note to noobs: a good test is to take an album u know well
in to test new potential speakers & if you aren't frothing at the mouth
as to all the new detail that you are hearing: DONT BUY THEM
For an electronic musician, esp studio based, being excited by what you hear
is paramount!

ok answering the question it turns out this thread is about:

My Life in the Bush of Ghosts - Eno & Byrne
but especially 'Drugs' by Talking Heads
a decade or so later: 'Towers of Dub' by the Orb
& anything by Scientist
& anything by Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakmoto (but neither, seperately)
& anything by Future 3
& anything by The Great Unwashed

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:36 am

The first 2 albums that really turned me onto electronic music were Vienna by Ultravox and Kraftwerk's seminal 'The Man Machine'. And shortly after Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene - yes it was 4-5 years old by then but my Dad finally bought it when he got a new record player. Then synthpop such as Dare by the Human League and OMD. Then Trevor Horn inspired stuff like The Art Of Noise and Propaganda.

Yet I was always into guitar based music too, including thrash and death metal at one point. The late 70's and 80's were an amazing time for different types of music genres and emerging music technology.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

exper

Post by exper » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:22 am

In (rough) order of purchase:

New Order - Peel Sessions (12 years old)
Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
The Cure - Disintegration
Joy Division - Closer
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II
Autechre - Tri Repetae (& pretty much everything after)
Rollerskate Skinny - Horsedrawn Wishes (If you don't know this, and love noise/shoegaze, buy it!)
Basic Channel BCD-1
Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children
Rhythm & Sound - CD
SND - Tender Love & Sndstudio Types
Burial - Burial (Yeah, I know it's newer, but you all have to admit, there's been nothing like it before)

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:33 pm

Wow, theres a lot of young people on here... :oops:

Most of those albums you list were released when I was already in my late 20s and early 30s...

music in general, I was switched on by

Deep Purple: Machinehead
Zepp: In Through The Out Door and Physical Graffiti
Van Halen I

then this opened my mind:

Steve Vai: Flexible (1984)

Followed by:

Joe Satriani Surfing with The Alien (1987)

Followed by:

Man Machine: Space Gladiator

That led to my guitar/dance cross over interest.

Can't say I've heard anything life changing for a looooong time.