APC40: What function have the 8 red record/armed pads?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eurose23

APC40: What function have the 8 red record/armed pads?

Post by eurose23 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:40 pm

Is it for armed midi? to make a midi loop?
Or: to record the single track in the arrangement-view?
Why is there no master-record-pad?
L8 Suite, M4L, Maschine 1.1.
MacBook 2Ghz, 2Gb Ram
M-Audio-FW-Audiophile, APC40, Maschine, UC33e, Trigger Finger, VCI 100,one fucking old Midi-Keyboard, Fostex PM 0.5 MKII

rbro

Post by rbro » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:46 pm

I believe they simply arm whichever track they correspond to. Everything appears to be geared towards session view from what I've gathered.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:47 pm

global record, bottom right over the cross fader next to stop and play

the rec arms any of the first 8 channels in your set, they can be midi or audio doesn't matter.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

eurose23

Post by eurose23 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:56 pm

by all the coloured buttons i did not see the record button. :oops:
It's a perfect "maschine" greetings to native

only the stop all clips button is a little bit dangerous in live situation...
MacBook 2Ghz, 2Gb Ram
M-Audio-FW-Audiophile, APC40, Maschine, UC33e, Trigger Finger, VCI 100,one fucking old Midi-Keyboard, Fostex PM 0.5 MKII

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:58 pm

eurose23 wrote:by all the coloured buttons i did not see the record button. :oops:

pull it off... and they said if you have max for live you can edit the way apc40 works, I'm positive that means you could disable the stop all button.

I always think it's funny when people say stuff like that though, it's not like all the groove boxes in the world don't have stop buttons on them.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

rbro

Post by rbro » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:59 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
eurose23 wrote:by all the coloured buttons i did not see the record button. :oops:

pull it off... and they said if you have max for live you can edit the way apc40 works, I'm positive that means you could disable the stop all button.
I don't think you need max4live. You can just go into midi-map mode and change everything.

eurose23

Post by eurose23 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:14 am

what i mean is not the button, but the place of the button. Because the apc is on the left side the matrix with faders in the top.. on the right side it's the bottom with the devices and effects. your brain have to switch from vertical to horizontal and at the perephery of both areas you have the stop-button.
MacBook 2Ghz, 2Gb Ram

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:15 am

eurose23 wrote:what i mean is not the button, but the place of the button. Because the apc is on the left side the matrix with faders in the top.. on the right side it's the bottom with the devices and effects. your brain have to switch from vertical to horizontal and at the perephery of both areas you have the stop-button.
like I said, there will be ways to disable the stop buttons if you want.

rbro

Post by rbro » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:16 am

eurose23 wrote:what i mean is not the button, but the place of the button. Because the apc is on the left side the matrix with faders in the top.. on the right side it's the bottom with the devices and effects. your brain have to switch from vertical to horizontal and at the perephery of both areas you have the stop-button.
Just move it in midi-map mode to wherever makes sense for you

eurose23

Post by eurose23 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:18 am

yes, i know, midi mapping is my hobby
MacBook 2Ghz, 2Gb Ram

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:18 am

rbro wrote:
what makes you so certain that this thing is operating in map mode at all? it might be sending exclusive ableton code or something for all we know, right?

rbro

Post by rbro » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:19 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
rbro wrote:
what makes you so certain that this thing is operating in map mode at all? it might be sending exclusive ableton code or something for all we know, right?
I'm pretty sure one of the videos I saw said you could simply reassign anything/everything in midi map mode. I'll try to find a link.

rbro

Post by rbro » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:21 am

http://www.ableton.com/pages/2009/apc_40/customize
Customize your controller

You can change the assignment of all of the knobs, faders and buttons on the APC40 using Live's MIDI Map Mode.

Get Personal

By entering Live's MIDI Map Mode, you can override the pre-assigned functions of all of the APC40's knobs, faders and buttons. Control parameters like tempo by assigning them yourself, and completely customize to your personal workflow.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:22 am

rbro wrote:http://www.ableton.com/pages/2009/apc_40/customize
Customize your controller

You can change the assignment of all of the knobs, faders and buttons on the APC40 using Live's MIDI Map Mode.

Get Personal

By entering Live's MIDI Map Mode, you can override the pre-assigned functions of all of the APC40's knobs, faders and buttons. Control parameters like tempo by assigning them yourself, and completely customize to your personal workflow.
cool, thats very good to know

eurose23

Post by eurose23 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:25 am

THAT'S the official paper from akai:

Ableton and Akai Professional worked in a joint partnership to make the APC40 the perfect Ableton Live control surface. Whether you are an electronic-music performance artist and Live is your canvass, a DJ using Live to mix tracks, or a traditional musician using Live on stage or in the studio, the APC40 is designed for intuitive, powerful control. The APC40 requires no mapping for direct control of Live, and is completely re-mappable for advanced-user customization. Its exclusive bidirectional communication enables the APC40 to display clip and control status it on its clip matrix and LED rings surrounding each knob. The clip matrix gives you an instant view of clip status: what’s loaded, what’s playing, and what’s being recorded.
MacBook 2Ghz, 2Gb Ram