Educational -What happens when you're not a student anymore?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gurumonkey

Educational -What happens when you're not a student anymore?

Post by gurumonkey » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:58 am

Hi! i've contacted ableton customer care but can't seem to get an answer on this one.

i have live 7 suite educational. I am no longer a student, and i would like to upgrade to live 8 suite non-educational.

Is this possible? i guess one question lies in what is an educational copy. Can you use an educational copy for profit? if so then i suppose it doesn't matter.

my live upgrade price from suite 7 to suite 8 shows $259 like it seems everyone else. I guess what I want to make sure of is that I'll end up with a non-educational copy of suite 8.

anybody know?

posssu

Post by posssu » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:01 am

Hi!

I can't answer for the other things, but I'm quite sure you're not allowed to use educational lisense for commercial purposes.

Have you checked the educational-pricing-list? Maybe there's something about the upgrade-thingy? You've probably checked the upgrade-page too?
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:08 am

What happens when you're not a student anymore?
You have to go out and get a job the same as everyone else. You also have to stop getting pissed all the time, stop watching TV 24 hours a day and get a proper haircut.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:09 am

they take your license away when you stop going to school.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

spiral

Post by spiral » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:11 am

posssu wrote:Hi!

I can't answer for the other things, but I'm quite sure you're not allowed to use educational lisense for commercial purposes.

Have you checked the educational-pricing-list? Maybe there's something about the upgrade-thingy? You've probably checked the upgrade-page too?
not sure about that

no mention of it on site
Student and Teacher Purchases

Please note: Live purchased with an educational discount has the full functions and capabilities as Live purchased for the full price. The restriction: Educational versions of Live can only be resold to students or teachers with proof of educational status.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:21 am

They DON'T take away your license on your current version, as you qualified fair and square at the time.

However, you will have to pay the regular customer price on any upgrades unless you do go back into education in some capacity, even part time.

Abes are cool for educational discount. And some companies such as Steinberg, do not ever allow educational discounts on upgrades, they only discount the initial purchase.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

gurumonkey

Post by gurumonkey » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:25 am

leeds,

so if i pay regular price on an upgrade from an educational copy, does that in turn give me a regular copy?

meaning, is it okay for me to use Live for commercial purposes?

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:37 am

AFAIK it's OK to use educational release to make commercial music with Ableton. (not 100% sure though, I know it's not OK with Steinberg unless you pay a premium to upgrade to a full license).

As someone who makes music for non-profit myself as I have another career now (and changed from earning a pittance gigging as a full time musician years ago) I can't say I've ever tested this theory, but this is how I understand it, I wouldn't bet my house on it, but I seem to remember this coming up in a thread to this effect about a year ago.

Perhaps an Ableton representative can chime in and give the exact details.

Or if you email support@ableton.com I'm sure the team there will verify one way or another.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:40 pm

I went from regular (Live 4) to educational (starting Live 5 I think, up to current 7). But Live 8 will be regular I hope. At least the price seems to reflect that.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:39 pm

Their policy was: once you upgrade at a non-student rate, you are using a full license.

I doubt that has changed.

gurumonkey

Post by gurumonkey » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:44 am

Oh thanks! That would be what I hoped.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:30 am

gurumonkey wrote:leeds,

so if i pay regular price on an upgrade from an educational copy, does that in turn give me a regular copy?

meaning, is it okay for me to use Live for commercial purposes?
i just did it last week; from an edu. 6 - normal 7. i wasnt sure it would work - but i called them up and got it worked out.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:32 am

leedsquietman wrote:They DON'T take away your license
I was only joking.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

gurumonkey

From the Abes themselves...

Post by gurumonkey » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:27 pm

Thanks for contacting us.

Our educational products have no functional restrictions, and you are free to us them as you wish, including for profit.
You are perfectly free to upgrade to Live 8 once you cease to be a student.

The only restriction is that if you wish to sell or give away your copy of Live, the new owner must also qualify for our educational products.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to get in touch.

Kind Regards
Ray

so no problem upgrading, and no restrictions on how you use the software even when it IS an educational version!

woot.

WFTD

Re: Educational -What happens when you're not a student anymore?

Post by WFTD » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:29 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:Our educational products have no functional restrictions, and you are free to us them as you wish, including for profit.
You are perfectly free to upgrade to Live 8 once you cease to be a student.

The only restriction is that if you wish to sell or give away your copy of Live, the new owner must also qualify for our educational products.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to get in touch.

Kind Regards
Ray

so no problem upgrading, and no restrictions on how you use the software even when it IS an educational version!
So what happens if you do sell you Ableton Live Educational version to someone who isnt a student??? That doesnt make sense.
Is the person buying (non-student) able to pay some kind of fee to have it as a full version?
That seems pretty unfair....but people let me know what you think?

If I want to sell on my Ableton cause I am not using it anymore, then I should be able to sell it to whoever with the licence. When the buyer registers under his name, there should be some fee or similar to make it a full license......no?!?!?!?