Live's process still running after closing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamester

Live's process still running after closing?

Post by jamester » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:48 am

I just reinstalled Live (the newest version) and its processes or whatever are not stopping after I close Live, I have to stop it from Task Manager. This has never happened before, any ideas why?
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:51 am

just a shot in the dark, try deleting your preferences?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:56 am

Usb device not letting go?

jamester

Post by jamester » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:50 am

Johnisfaster wrote:just a shot in the dark, try deleting your preferences?
Almost! (unfortunately)

Quite curious, it worked the first time I re-started, but ever since it continues to hang. No matter what, and I've tried a million things... :(
Mr-Bit wrote:Usb device not letting go?
Exactly what I thought, the ASIO driver maybe, but I guess not because it's hanging even if my audio device (which is USB 2.0) is not on. I've used Live off and on for years with this soundcard and it's never hung like this. Also, Reaper is having no trouble with it.

I'm stumped and annoyed. Just when I'm ready to return to Ableton...

seltsam

Post by seltsam » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:45 am

Hi there!

Actually I have quite the same problem. As I can see fromm your sig that you are also using the Korg PadKontrol could it be that you are also using the native Kontol live software??? I do and I think this problem (and some others) started when I installed it. Though I nevergot around trying to really find out becuase I don't find the time nowadays to work much with live at home.

greetings from Vienna

Alex

eddu

Post by eddu » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:49 am

I got m-audio Trigger Finger. Once Live shuts up, if i unplug the USB cable, the process disappears. Sometimes it not very stable whn i open Live again, but sometimes its just fine.

Fucking USB.

headquest

Post by headquest » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:09 am

I use Trigger Finger and don't have that problem at all. Weird.

I did have the same issue as jamester... but in my case using Adobe Audition. The process kept going, eating computer resources.

The solution in that case was to clean out my Windows registry, which cured the problem permanently. That was on my previous PC and I've not had this issue on my current one, but I remember the registry cleaner I used cost about $20 and was recommended by Martin Walker in his Sound on Sound column.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

eddu

Post by eddu » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:23 am

Cant you remmeber the cleaner´s soft name please? I have another computer machine at work which behaves the same, but unplugging any USB device doesnt work there.

Thx

headquest

Post by headquest » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:26 pm

NP - the one I used was Iomatic's Registry Medic. You can read the Martin Walker SOS review here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/a ... cnotes.htm

I'm guessing that the programme will have changed considerably since that time (I don't have it on my new computer as everything has run smoothly without the need). However, I did find that it really tuned things up - Windows loaded way faster etc. It was like having a new computer at the time.

If my current laptop slows significantly I would certainly buy this again (or check out any recommended alternatives that may now be better).

Listen on Soundcloud

eddu

Post by eddu » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:36 pm

thx dude

jamester

Post by jamester » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:32 pm

seltsam wrote:Hi there!

Actually I have quite the same problem. As I can see fromm your sig that you are also using the Korg PadKontrol could it be that you are also using the native Kontol live software??? I do and I think this problem (and some others) started when I installed it. Though I nevergot around trying to really find out becuase I don't find the time nowadays to work much with live at home.

greetings from Vienna

Alex
Thanks Alex...I just tried opening and closing Live with neither my Edirol or my PK on, and it shut down no problem. Perhaps it is the PK, I hadn't thought of that. Curious though, as I've had this exact setup for a couple years now with no problems...but I have had the computer change, so perhaps something's gone amiss.
headquest wrote: I did have the same issue as jamester... but in my case using Adobe Audition. The process kept going, eating computer resources.

The solution in that case was to clean out my Windows registry, which cured the problem permanently.
Thanks for the suggestion; I use Tune-Up Utilities which has a Registry cleaner/defragger, so I will try this and see what happens.

Will report back later!

jamester

Post by jamester » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:41 pm

Update 1: Tried opening/closing with only the Edirol on, no PK - no hanging!

Update 2: Tried the same, this time with only PK and no Edirol - HANGING!

So it is the PK...

I will try the registry cleanup, maybe also reinstalling the PK's drivers...will keep reporting back. Thanks again everybody!

headquest

Post by headquest » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:53 pm

Hope you get it sorted mate :)

Listen on Soundcloud

jamester

Post by jamester » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Follow-up:

I got it sorted! :)

All I did was go into the Preferences and noticed that more ports for the PK were selected than what I needed (I only need the standard Port A). So I deselected the others, and now it no longer hangs!

headquest

Post by headquest » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:42 pm

Cool. 8)

Listen on Soundcloud