$4K for a Mac Pro - Help me configure

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Daim

Post by Daim » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:19 pm

i was waiting for the next mac pro update since last summer as well.. but now since live didn't get dual monitor support i'll go for the next imac refresh. they'll have more than enough power and i don't see why i should spend twice the money for a mac pro and a cinema display.

rbro

Post by rbro » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:28 pm

Daim wrote:i was waiting for the next mac pro update since last summer as well.. but now since live didn't get dual monitor support i'll go for the next imac refresh. they'll have more than enough power and i don't see why i should spend twice the money for a mac pro and a cinema display.
I was leaning towards the iMac as well, it just seems like there are more options with the Pro and I recently bought an LG LCD monitor and I already have a wireless mouse and keyboard I'm happy with, I really want a machine that will last me for a while.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:47 pm

rbro wrote:Are the new Mac Pros supposed to be Nehalem based?
If you believe the rumours then yes.

They are supposed to pretty fast as well....

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/20/neh ... usly-fast/

rbro

Post by rbro » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:53 pm

jonny72 wrote:
rbro wrote:Are the new Mac Pros supposed to be Nehalem based?
If you believe the rumours then yes.

They are supposed to pretty fast as well....

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/20/neh ... usly-fast/
OK, Q1 2009. We shall see........

gomi

Re: $4K for a Mac Pro - Help me configure

Post by gomi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:21 am

rbro wrote:OK, I've been ready to pull the trigger on a new machine since last summer. I thought for sure there would be some new iMacs announced at Macworld. Well I'm not sure I can wait any longer. I started thinking that maybe my money is best spent on a Mac Pro, since I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. Help me configure a Mac Pro for under $4K. I'll buy additional RAM from Crucial ($400 for 8GB gives me 10GB total) so I need to keep the Mac Pro at $3600 w/edu discount. I'm not sure about things like 3.0 ghz vs. 2.8, ATA vs. SAS HDs etc. Anyway, if you feel like playing, check it out:

http://store.apple.com/us-k12/configure ... o=NzQ3Njkz

get the base with at least 4GB of ram, and a hardware raid card.
then use the hardware raid card to raid extra hard drives into a striped set..

don't waste your money on 10,000rpm pieces of junk.

gomi

Post by gomi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:23 am

dcease wrote:
rbro wrote:
dcease wrote:base model (2x2.8 )$2599, add airport card($45), if you want wireless stuff.
8g memory-$270. take the 2 that come with it out, and slap these in.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20 ... B1MPK08GB/

search for cheap drives. as many as you want, as much storage as you'd like-sata. i'd get at least one for an audio drive, and one for backups. you might want another monitor. should be @3500. preorder an apc40, or get a uad2 card.
It has 8 slots, why would I take any out? I would get an additional 4x2 I think, for 10GB total.
from what i understand, you want all your memory to match, i'd just get the 8 1g sticks and resell the originals, just to be safe. that'll put a gig in each slot... much more would prolly be over kill for audio, and you prolly won't have to worry about freezes, and such. if i were to get a macpro right now, this is exactly what i would do, but i would add three drives-audio,samples,back ups, prolly 500g a piece. don't know about the 10k system drive, it would make more noise, but prolly would offer better performance.

also for those who haven't opened up a mac pro, it's not regular old DDR3 ram..

this is the hardcore error correcting server class ram... don't waste your money
on cheap ram, just get the real stuff.