btw, where's L8 LE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mesmer

btw, where's L8 LE

Post by Mesmer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:08 am

will it come down the line,
or is the LE line done for?
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:27 pm

no takers? no guesses? no grapevine? nada?

:?
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:31 pm

From what I have seen since version 6 is that they release the lite version a bit after the full version.

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:34 pm

You mean the LE version?

one has to be careful not mixing them up, no?

Lite == Freebie Giveaway == Crippled by Design
LE == Cheap Compromise == Limited by Design

I'm wondering about the LE version, for L8.
---
---

gjm

Post by gjm » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:52 pm

Mesmer wrote:I'm wondering about the LE version, for L8.
Me too. My Thread from a couple of days ago.

I hope its not done for. I am expecting a bigger set of improvements for 8LE than there was from 6 to 7.

I emailed Ableton and asked about info on 8LE but I have had no response.

Would be nice if they had plans to continue to support the LE line. I would be very disappointed if it was dropped.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:29 pm

Me too.

Ideal case: it has "most" of the features I like about Live, without none of the bloat
Less than Ideal case: it has "some" of the features I like, and I can live without the others I would have liked ("drumracks"..). It's a nice compromise
Worst case: It's so limited, there's no reason to get it.

that's how I break it down.
off to check your thread now.
-h
---
---

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:03 am

Mesmer wrote:Ideal case: it has "most" of the features I like about Live, without none of the bloat
Less than Ideal case: it has "some" of the features I like, and I can live without the others I would have liked ("drumracks"..). It's a nice compromise
Worst case: It's so limited, there's no reason to get it.
Yeah, it needs to have enough to use say the puremagnetic paks without having them limited. I was all keen on getting their Amp Pak, but it has limited function if you are on LE.

The track count thing is fine, but LE limits its own use with no rewire and and no midi out to ext devices.

There has been lots said about how people don't want Live to become yet another 'same old, same old' DAW. But the fact is there are lots of people who don't have the freight to buy full versions of 2-3 DAWs just to use certain features.

I am looking to upgrade my scoring/notation software because thats what I use nearly every working day. Logic Express 8 has Rewire AND Scoring and so could be a perfect candidate to partner with Live LE. But Live LE won't allow it. I am not flush with cash to buy the full version of Live and have to think about an either, or, type of choice. Its a shame really. I am sure there is a whole layer of users who wouldn't think twice about paying for LE version updates, even if its barely used, because it offers some uniqueness of musical expression. Plus, if it remains a usable and friendly option or go to tool in conjunction with other tools then its presence amoung the other options is always fresh.

I often get the feeling that this forums user base at times only reflects a more or less advanced type of user. Users of the full version are often unfamiliar with LE's limitations and so do not give appropriate advice. There is no LE user forum or any LE guru's around here. Its like the Abe's don't really think that there would be people who actually only really want to use and master LE. Its like they have not given very much thought to how well they could hook customers with the LE version. The whole entry level thing.

These would be my inclusions for 8 LE

I think the track counts are fine.
The number of Audio inputs and out puts could be increased to 4 each at least
Same with the Internal and External AU/VST's and effects.
Some Drum Rack presence, with editing.
Increase the number of send and return tracks to at least 4
Enable Track Freeze (for all of the entry level users with aging computers)
Enable midi out put to hardware synths (perhaps cap the number to 2-3)
Enable Midi clock/sync
Enable Rewire.
Video stuff can be left out.

I think the new Looper should be included as well, even if it has some limitations imposed.

These things would make a great 8 LE and surely cement my attention for a long time to come.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Don_Cerati

Re: btw, where's L8 LE

Post by Don_Cerati » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:30 am

Mesmer wrote:will it come down the line,
or is the LE line done for?
I jumped from 1.5 to 6 LE when it came out...and it came out like 5 months after the full version of 6...Live 7 LE came out almost 6 months after the full version...

So it would probably be the same time! I guess L8 comes out in May since the APC40 comes out that month, so maybe the L8 LE will come out by oct, nov, or dec!!!
Presario V6000 - AMD Turion64x2 - 1GB RAM-XP SP2 - Axiom 25 - Live 7.0.14 LE - Xponent + Torq 1.0.7

www.myspace.com/doncerati