Soft synth for "bread n butter" sounds?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
vicz

Post by vicz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:08 pm

FM8 - worth a look (free demo) a DX7 on steroids

Korg Legacy Digital or M1LE

piZMo

Post by piZMo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:15 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Honestly the trumpets in that sound about as good as my Synful Orchestra!
yeah i was very impressed by this when i heard them.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:32 pm

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:10 pm

I think six oclock has nailed it down somewhat. I am looking for what you call a rompler. I call them all synths. I think when you guys hear the word synth, you think of things like Jupiter 8s, Prophet 5s, or emulations thereof. To me, a synth is roughly anything that has a keyboard and makes sound. So to reiterate, for my purposes, I am looking for a good ROMpler, since that's what the Triton is.

So is Sonik Synth 2 more of a synth than a rompler?

I will listen to demos of the products mentioned here, but by all means keep them coming.

K.

six_o_clock_crow wrote:"Bread and butter" rock sounds, to me, means things like keys/organs, basses, strings... and I think Triton's are sample based sounds arent they?

So, for a 'workstation' type replacement in software I think you are looking at a ROMpler, or maybe a sampler with a decent library of sounds. Off the top of my head, as a starting point, I'd suggest looking at:

IK Multimedia Sampletank
NI Kontakt
East West Colossus

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:27 pm

CHARLIE! wrote:http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-31060.html

That is the zebra food soundbank.
Thx for this 8)

pix

Post by pix » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:55 pm

I use kontakt and I think the library is quite good for acoustic sounds (specially the world sounds) in general but imo it's lacking in e-pianos and organs.

so I complemented with vir2 vi.one that you can get for $99 from musicians friends.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=500318

it has a couple of great B3, wurly and rhodes patches. the pianos are better that kontakt's as well.

for these alone it is worth it.

the drums in it are very good as well.

you can use it as a stand alone but you have no control over mapping or fine patch editing. It may fit your needs though.

if you get it you also qualify for kontakt 3 crossgrade which comes out cheaper.