What Kind fo Innovations Would You Like To See In Hip-hop ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Tytus

Post by Tytus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:04 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Tytus wrote:
stringtapper wrote:Take all hip-hop artists and make them listen to nothing but The Low End Theory for six months
ok.....what good would that do? Bringing back jazz samples isnt new or interesting.
Ok. Serialism? Minimalism? Aleatoric algorithms? Generative rhythmic techniques? How about twelve-tone counterpoint? All with a flow on top?

And who's to say what's interesting?
lol. seriously man wtf are you talking about? Hip-hop starts getting lame when cats start thinking too technical. Throw your classical theory out the window. Your drums bang? lyrics dope? your bassline groove? melody catchy (think west coast g-funk)? if yes to all then your shit is fly. its that simple.

Someone else mentioned hip-hop needs more melody and I agree. We also need more clever MCs like Andre 3000 and less nerdy "emcees" (dictionary in one hand/coffeshop latte in the other) trying trying to fit 3 lines in one bar claiming their shit is "real hip-hop". :roll: IMO some underground hip-hop is just as bad as the mainstream shit.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:30 pm

more white people telling you about no sex before marriage and finish school or you won't get a job and don't cross the road when the red man's showing, listen to your parents, just say no. yo.

dcease

Post by dcease » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:50 pm

i hate techno. less techno, more death and drugs.

dcease

Post by dcease » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:00 pm

look, i don't watch action movies for an eye opening experience. they are formulaic at best, nothing new has happened in them in years, but i still love to hear the hero music/villian theme. cliche, for sure, but entertaining. same with rap/rock/country/pop... there is nothing "new" to do, just new people to hear. you don't like rap, don't listen to it! wow! imagine that! you have choice what tunes you like to hear. i would never make a claim that classical singers suck, or opera, because they don't. but that still doesn't mean i like it.

to claim there is no merit in rapping, or skill, give it a try. rap must have some merit, as much as dance music, anyway
:lol: :wink:

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:01 pm

I'd like to see more band-stuff hiphop, like the old Hed P.E. or Cypress Hill

If I'm going to a concert I want to see real instruments, not 2 guys running like fools with some instrumental on (or lazy dj). Feels like cheap Karaoke to me. I want dynamics.

And I can't stand the ho and pimpin stuff, who needs that?
Last edited by sunaivod on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dcease

Post by dcease » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:03 pm

sunaivod wrote:I'd like to see more band-stuff hiphop, like the old Hed P.E. or Cypress Hill

If I'm going to a concert I want to see real instruments, not 2 guys running like fools with some instrumental on (or lazy dj).

agreed, most live rap shows suck...

i fucking love hustle and flow :)

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:03 pm

sunaivod wrote:I'd like to see more band-stuff hiphop, like the old Hed P.E. or Cypress Hill

If I'm going to a concert I want to see real instruments, not 2 guys running like fools with some instrumental on (or lazy dj).

Word to that. I'd love to see Hed P.E. again! Bloody awesome band.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

aizo

Post by aizo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:27 pm

you mean like the roots?

awesome live hiphop band
ImageImage

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm

stringtapper wrote:Take all hip-hop artists and make them listen to nothing but The Low End Theory for six months
:D
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 pm

aizo wrote:you mean like the roots?

awesome live hiphop band
Never listened to it, I give it a try

SNOT & RIMER55 was also a (Rock/Metal/hiphop-like) band I liked a lot
But some people call it nu-metal, whatever :P

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:06 pm

i stick to glitch hop these days. At least the music is interesting and most of it is instrumentals anyway

http://mk2systems.com/memekast/archives.html

LesPasta

open your mind up

Post by LesPasta » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:16 pm

i would like to see people open their mind and get curious about music... especially hiphop....

the music you guys are commenting on is just pop/top 40 music...

if you want less kanye it is simple, just turn off the radio, mtv etc. ....

if you want to hear good hip[hop music check out stonesthrow records, that would be a good start... maybe something produced by 9th wonder, pete rock or the rza.... dudley perkins, georgia ann muldrow, mf doom, dj premier....

honestly, some of the comments ive read in this thread make it hard to believe this is a forum for creative people.

dont be afraid to venture out to a record store or even online and listen to some music that isnt so mainstream...

www.myspace.com/lespasta

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Hed P.E. are still alive and kicking...they had a new album out about a week ago...
Anyway, if you want to listen to some good hip hop, try these:

Dj Muggs and Sick Jacken (their album is first class)
Dj Muggs and GZA (the 'normal' Grandmasters album and the remixed one)
Dabrye
Everything by Madlib and J. Dilla
Ill Bill ('White' NY Hip Hop at its finest)
Cannibal Ox
El-P

There is really a lot of stuff if you dig enough,,
www.myspace.com/freshmenthal

HEAVY METAL IS A POSE!

ACER 5920G/FW410/Ableton Live 6/MPC1000/Alesis Micron/UC33/2 x Numark TTX/1 Numark CDX/Torq Connective/Ecler Hak 360/Vestax 06/Shure M-44-7/Krk Rp5/Behringer UB1832FX Pro/Boss DD-6/

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:28 pm

Tytus wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
Tytus wrote: ok.....what good would that do? Bringing back jazz samples isnt new or interesting.
IMO some underground hip-hop is just as bad as the mainstream shit.
As a former Fat Beats employee I have to agree, most underground hip-hop is as bad as mainstream, just in a different way. The entire genre needs a rebirth.

Also, stop releasing so much damn music. These dudes who put 5 good cuts on an album and 7 decent ones and then do a mixtape with 3 good cuts and 7 decent ones and 5 horrible ones are just making things worse.

Here is a novel idea for hip-hop: hone your craft, be good at what you do, and stop being so arrogant to think that just because you recorded something it needs to be released.

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:35 pm

No rhymes about killing, bitches, bling, hoe's, ass and sleaze and crime in general.

Who knows a positive theme about the first non white guy to be elected president would be cool.