What Kind fo Innovations Would You Like To See In Hip-hop ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:51 pm

Hip Hop needs to take it back to the Old School!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ9_uur0_HU
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

LesPasta

rap is a genre ....hmmm

Post by LesPasta » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:09 pm

this is a popular misconception.... but let's make some sense of it... rapping is something you do (im not going to get into hiphop culture but i will say that hiphop music is just post-modern soul music)...

i've heard the dude from rush rapping in 'roll the bones'... is rush hip-hop ?... there are many other artists i can call on (anthony from chili peppers, the big bopper, neil young, shirley ellis-the name game.... and how about death metal ? are those dudes singing ? i think they're talking in a loud and distorted voice) who are talking over rhythmic tracks... some sounds more like hip-hop and some sounds less like hip-hop, but none of it is...

furthermore, lumping anyone who raps into one genre is as absurd as grouping all singing acts into one genre... are james brown, barbara streisand and r.e.m. considered to be in the same genre ?

for real hip-hop please see:
www.myspace.com/lespasta

makehaste

Post by makehaste » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:13 pm

Hello people ive been trying to something new with the instrumental hip hop format you guys should tell me what you think , or just hate on it a little

http://www.myspace.com/ohmyfemalefriend

thanks people this is probably the best place i could get feedback

ryjan

LesPasta

love it

Post by LesPasta » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:23 pm

im all about it

kb420

Re: rap is a genre ....hmmm

Post by kb420 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:29 pm

LesPasta wrote: that hiphop music is just post-modern soul music)...

Here is the definitive explanation of what Hip Hop is.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... %202&hl=en

"Well now you forced to listen to the teacher and the lesson.
Class is in session so you can stop guessin'!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu5RhDftcEk
Last edited by kb420 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:33 pm

That video is 5 years old. KRS' last good, interesting or groundbreaking album is a good 5 years older than that.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:35 pm

contakt321 wrote:That video is 5 years old. KRS' last good, interesting or groundbreaking album is a good 5 years older than that.

The truth doesn't get old.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:36 pm

Well it seems that my best friend also agrees that hip hop is a way of life and apparently has had this debate many times with one of his friends up in the bay area. But i'll tell you this... hip hop as it is defined is pretty much non-existent. so if some kid wearing pants at his ankles, a big gold chain, a fluorescent hoodie, and a sideways cap comes up to me and tells me he lives a hip-hop way of life... i'm gonna punch him in the face!!! SLAM!! Let the boys be boys!

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:40 pm

McQ714 wrote:Well it seems that my best friend also agrees that hip hop is a way of life and apparently has had this debate many times with one of his friends up in the bay area. But i'll tell you this... hip hop as it is defined is pretty much non-existent. so if some kid wearing pants at his ankles, a big gold chain, a fluorescent hoodie, and a sideways cap comes up to me and tells me he lives a hip-hop way of life... i'm gonna punch him in the face!!! SLAM!! Let the boys be boys!

A kid really wouldn't know what Hip Hop is unless a grown ass man told him!
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:42 pm

McQ714 wrote:hip hop as it is defined is pretty much non-existent.
go tell Lil Jon that hip hop doesn't exist, I'm sure he'd totally agree with you. :roll:

yes, these debates happen every time I post the '5 elements' thing. I can see how it's hard to take seriously, hip hop has by and large become a commercialized joke.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:47 pm

he said 4 elements though.. and his debates came from a guy that used to consider himself a hip-hopper. MCing, DJing, graffiti, and B-Boy.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:47 pm

McQ714 and Tone Deft I totally agree with you.

Also, excellent Onyx reference :)

This post is about innovation. Yes, there has been some, but for the most part hip-hop or rap is a parody of itself. Underground hip-hop is still trying to relive the post ATCQ era that Rawkus brought to it's peak in the late 90's early 2000's and mainstream is still obsessed with money, guns and girls.

Yes, there are exceptions, Dilla, Timbaland, etc but for the most part its all the same stuff rehashed, not innovative.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:51 pm

like I mentioned before, the number of elements varies with the people arguing. even the ones that agree that hip hop is a culture disagree with what it includes. debates on this can end up with people arguing about whether or not to include black history and even which parts to include.

FFS you've known this fact for all of 10 minutes and you're arguing with people who've known about this and read up on it.

I can understand how it's hard to accept, like you write, hip hop has by and large become a commercialized joke.

you get a lot of hip hop out there in the suburbs?? :lol:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:55 pm

I can actually almost remember a time when the MC was just a fucking backup for the DJ. I miss those days. But then again, I wouldnt trade it for where we are now either. The elements will survive this shit, they're just riding low away from the media spotlight. Graffiti is still bangin, underground MCs are still flowing, producers and djs are still kicking out all kinds of jams, and breakers and poppers are still dancing. You just gotta look harder to find it, and certain things change. Graffiti has evolved, mcing has evolved, dancing has evolved, and hip hop music has evolved. Meanwhile the fucking labels have thrust this false idea of hip hop on to peoples laps and people seem to have forgotten what true hip hop is. GUNS, BITCHES, AND BLING WERE NEVER, AND WILL NEVER, BE AMONG THE ELEMENTS. Therefore, not hip hop.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:56 pm

FWIW - Lil Jon did change mainstream hip-hop rap. His programming, his use of huge synths and bringing 808's were a huge smash both critically and commercially. What most people don't realize is that in the last 90's he was putting out independent rap/miami bass sounding hybrid records.

I have infinitely more respect and admiration for him than some kid who got into hip-hop 3 years ago and decided he is the authority on what's real or true, making music that sounds like ATCQ or Pete Rock (this isn't directed at anyone personally, but is a reflection of the sound and character of many indie artists - I know them, and used to be one).