Barack Obama Honeymoon period: How long before you start?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

How long will the honeymoon last?

Total votes: 0

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:05 pm

prolly a year if he stays president.

db91977

Re: Barack Obama Honeymoon period: How long before you start?

Post by db91977 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:24 pm

If you're talking about the American press, I don't think they'll "snipe" at all- not compared to their constant barrage against the Bush regime, anyway. Remember, the Mass Media is left-leaning, and our new "man of Change" is left-leaning. The Press and Barack have pretty much the same agenda. Why would they snipe at one of their own?

But if you're talking about the press of other countries, I guess it depends on the country, and whether Barack's policies and philosophies match theirs...

--db

Rave wrote:I don't mean to piss on anyone's chips here but please excuse me for being realistic.

How long do you think it will be before the press/public start sniping at President Obama?

Out of interest how long did it take for Bush to start getting it?

Either way, I hope all Americans have a great day :D

GrooveNinja

Post by GrooveNinja » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:26 pm

Impeach Obama!

philipc

Post by philipc » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:36 pm

db91977 wrote:If you're talking about the American press, I don't think they'll "snipe" at all- not compared to their constant barrage against the Bush regime, anyway. Remember, the Mass Media is left-leaning, and our new "man of Change" is left-leaning. The Press and Barack have pretty much the same agenda. Why would they snipe at one of their own?

But if you're talking about the press of other countries, I guess it depends on the country, and whether Barack's policies and philosophies match theirs...

--db

Rave wrote:I don't mean to piss on anyone's chips here but please excuse me for being realistic.

How long do you think it will be before the press/public start sniping at President Obama?

I couldn't possibly disagree with you more. The American media is centre-right at best, as is Obama. What passes for an American left has projected onto him hopelessly unrealistic expectations that it'll have to descend even further into fervent nationalistic denial to maintain. Just because he said some vaguely leftist things in his youth and voted vaguely lefty in the senate when he represented a very lefty state doesn't mean he'll carry on that way in the White House.

Above everything else Obama is a populist. Don't overstate the power of the President, the most fundamental issues in America and the world he can do absolutely nothing about. He can't criticise Israel, he can't do anything about political corruption, his position on the major social issues such as the death penalty and abortion are very much the status quo. As for redistributive taxation, he, like those before him are all for it. That is redistributing from the poor to the wealthy. That will continue.

America finally has the kind of President that TV has promised it for so, so long.

More cuddly than Clinton, more regal than Reagan.

Enjoy it America. And watch more TV. Its good for you. Particularly soap operas and 'reality tv'. They distract you from annoying things like the news.

Maybe this seems a bit harsh. I genuinely do think that having a man of mixed race as President represents a huge step forward for race relations in the US. But race relations aren't the only game in town. He still represents the rich and powerful, exclusively.

Just because hes black skinned doesn't mean he'll be gunning for the average citizen. Not even if he wanted to (which he may do).

Same game, new player. That is all.

telekom

Post by telekom » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:35 am

I wish him all the best. He is a man I feel some admiration and respect for. However he has just stepped over the threshold of an institution - PUSA - for which I have huge contempt. I really hope he can maintain the respect of US citizens and the wider global community. But the weight of expectation is crippling and the situation he has inherited is disastrous, so I think he was wise to focus on a sober and measured inauguration speech rather than promising the earth.

The main problem is that the bureaucrats, generals, secret service men, civil servants, advisers and political structures of the USA may prevent him being the President he and the people want him to be. But hey, that's democracy.

But focusing on the positive for a moment - it is sensational to consider the transformation of American society that a black man can be President only a few decades after legal racism was commonplace in the USA. And I'm very happy to see that Aretha Franklin is actually alive - I thought she was dead! Wahey, go Aretha!
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:44 am

I think you have a lot of opinions and presumptions there Phil, for someone who is not currently residing in the USA.

What are your credentials to substantiate this information - what you read in the Guardian, or watch on CNN Europe ??

I live in Canada, have relatives in the USA, and have travelled there quite a bit and we get all the network TV stuff from the USA and have many Americans living here (plus I like to be one of those annoying cross border shoppers that are despised ;) and most of them do not share your opinions.

Reality TV shows and soap operas are just as popular and as a % of population who watch TV, more so in the UK. As one 'superior' Brit who sneered and jeered at the USA and Canadians and their odd ways, when I first moved here nearly 10 years ago, I had a similar attitude but having lived it for so long I am now a bit less quick to judge other countries, especially when I don't live there !!!!!!!!
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:32 am

Ableton users: musicians, DJ's, political analysts

aren't we the multifaceted bunch

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:59 am

by the looks of the thread title it's over now

dancerchris

Post by dancerchris » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:16 am

philipc wrote:
I couldn't possibly disagree with you more. The American media is centre-right at best, as is Obama.
hahahahaha!

He's got the most left leaning voting record in the Senate for the very short period he actually voted.

Now I suppose I would agree with you if you are basically comparing the Left of the US to the Left of the UK.

I do agree with the point that this guy will act like a celleb much like Billy-bob Clinton did, and probably never really connect with the voter. But the oratory will be great!
Live 8.4.2 / Win 8 Pro 64 bit / Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHZ / 8 Gb ram
Presonus Firepod / Axiom 49 / PadKontrol
Various guitars, keyboards, sax and friends

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:32 am

dancerchris wrote:
philipc wrote:
I couldn't possibly disagree with you more. The American media is centre-right at best, as is Obama.
hahahahaha!

He's got the most left leaning voting record in the Senate for the very short period he actually voted.

Now I suppose I would agree with you if you are basically comparing the Left of the US to the Left of the UK.

I do agree with the point that this guy will act like a celleb much like Billy-bob Clinton did, and probably never really connect with the voter. But the oratory will be great!

reality escapes you.

he already connected with the voters more than any other president.
getting that many people involved in the political process will translate into getting many things done far beyond his presidency. as for oratory unless one is a warmonger one knows that the pen is mightier than the sword.
Last edited by starving student on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:32 am

It's all about living in the moment. Did you see Alicia Keys? What about the jumping guys? Did I smoke DMT?

Cyberdude

Post by Cyberdude » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:53 am

Obama reminds me of Kennedy.

db91977

Post by db91977 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:16 am

Well, Rave- it would seem that there are probably as many opinions here on the topic you raised, as there are Ableton Live users on the forum. But here's the great thing about all of this- whether we agree or not, we have a forum where we can freely express our opinions. And I, for one, appreciate that. The spirit of the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment lives, not only in the U.S., but in other countries as well, and I'm glad to see that. May we never see the day that our freedoms of speech and expression are taken away. Because, on that day, the powers that be may see another Boston Tea Party.

--db

eldar

Post by eldar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:43 am

db91977 wrote:If you're talking about the American press, I don't think they'll "snipe" at all- not compared to their constant barrage against the Bush regime, anyway. Remember, the Mass Media is left-leaning, and our new "man of Change" is left-leaning. The Press and Barack have pretty much the same agenda. Why would they snipe at one of their own?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:25 pm

i've been slagging him off for months