From a macbookpro to a new macbook

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJ VAKIS

From a macbookpro to a new macbook

Post by DJ VAKIS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:32 am

I am thinking to get a new laptop a macbook,i know there is no firewire port,but how can i transfer my programs................from my macbookpro in to a macbook?
Is posible to do it with usb?
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

cids

Post by cids » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:58 am

Ethernet or WiFi... but be sure to take your time....
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:09 am

Yeah Ethernet. You could use Migration Assistant and directly connect the cable between the Macs. Or if you have a cloned backup, clone it to the new Mac.

vicz

Post by vicz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:20 am

onslaught wrote:Yeah Ethernet. You could use Migration Assistant and directly connect the cable between the Macs. Or if you have a cloned backup, clone it to the new Mac.
Often Apple has a slightly different version of OSX for new hardware, so restoring from a cc clone from an older macbook might cause problems, eg new features such as trackpad not working properly. If you have an external drive you could check first by booting from it. Otherwise you can still copy back from your cc clone then re-install OSX, providing the new macbook comes with proper install disks, of course.

DJ VAKIS

Post by DJ VAKIS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:20 am

onslaught wrote:Yeah Ethernet. You could use Migration Assistant and directly connect the cable between the Macs. Or if you have a cloned backup, clone it to the new Mac.
I have carbon copy cloner,does this works?
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:38 am

DJ VAKIS wrote:I have carbon copy cloner,does this works?
This should work. Make sure you have an up-to-date backup. Test via booting from the backup on the new Mac, Intel based Macs can boot from usb drives.
Though considering vicz's comment
vicz wrote:Often Apple has a slightly different version of OSX for new hardware, so restoring from a cc clone from an older macbook might cause problems, eg new features such as trackpad not working properly.
...maybe best to migrate from your backup.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:09 am

The new "cheap" macbook has firewire.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:03 pm

The new "cheap" macbook has firewire.
you mean the "old" white ones.

the aluminium new macbooks don't.

is is time to get "cheap" refurbished or 2nd hand "early2008 macbooks" ;)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:32 pm

If you have an external drive, use Time MAchine to back up to it, then connect it to your new laptop and you'll be given the option of restoring from a Time Machine back up when you first boot the new laptop. Probably the easiest way to transfer your data, and it's pretty much guaranteed to work.

jj0b

Post by jj0b » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:08 pm

If you are getting a new computer I think it makes more sense to install everything from scratch. Even something as integrated as TimeMachine could potentially create a somewhat less stable install. It may be negligible, or it may not. Regardless, the most sure fire way to know that you have a good install is to do it yourself. There have been way to many horror stories of people upgrading and trying to transfer their whole OS over to a new computer with disaterous results. It really doesn't take that much time to install from scratch and it gives you the piece of mind that no mysterious problems are going to emerge. Just my 2 cents.
http://www.musicalgeometry.com
Live 8.2.6
MBP OSX 10.7.2
2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
RME Fireface UFX

drush

Post by drush » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:36 pm

and yes you can use migration assistant to do it over USB (in 10.5)

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:29 am

rave wrote:The white macbook was given an update yesterday. Check it out

Yes I just saw that, new NVIDIA graphic card!!!

But it is only 2 ghz processors... and 120bg HD for 949€

I'd rather get a 2,4ghz processor / 160Gb HD for just 10€ more at the refurb store!

apple sometimes sucks, IMHO, not for their computers but for their sale/design strategies...

Tom Void

Post by Tom Void » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:41 am

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but would never dream of installing a, in some ways definattely different OS, or even critical software onto a new machine using any kind of direct transfer or back-up.

It's a 50/50 walk in the dark, so if you're a gambler those odd's are probably to your taste, but I would bite the apple, and just make a clean install of all software, no matter how much it may be.
That way no remnants of older tweaks and fixes remain and you are in for a imho stabler system.

The least complicated is then to move the static bits as images and sound files etc. using any method you like.

jj0b

Post by jj0b » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:32 pm

Tom Void wrote:Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but would never dream of installing a, in some ways definattely different OS, or even critical software onto a new machine using any kind of direct transfer or back-up.

It's a 50/50 walk in the dark, so if you're a gambler those odd's are probably to your taste, but I would bite the apple, and just make a clean install of all software, no matter how much it may be.
That way no remnants of older tweaks and fixes remain and you are in for a imho stabler system.

The least complicated is then to move the static bits as images and sound files etc. using any method you like.
I totally agree. There is so much that can go wrong with migrating using transfer software. A lot o people run into problems when they do this. It may not be obvious problems like crashing but more insipient problems like efficiency. Definitely reccomend installing applications from scratch and just transfering over your data.
http://www.musicalgeometry.com
Live 8.2.6
MBP OSX 10.7.2
2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
RME Fireface UFX