Advice - going to university and maintaining Live relations?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Jaan

Advice - going to university and maintaining Live relations?

Post by Jaan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:46 pm

Hey all. I'm going to university this fall, and I'm starting to think about my hardware while I'm there. I am definitely moving out of town :P
Here's the gear that I have right now:
Presonus Firebox
Dynaudio bm5a's
X session pro
bcr2000

Here are a few possible solutions I came up with:
1. Get an ultraportable laptop with firewire, then build a decent desktop
2. Get an ultraportable laptop WITHOUT firewire (this will give more options, like the lenovo x200), buy a USB audio interface, then build a desktop with firewire.

I will be using the laptop for playing out (DJing/Live) and taking notes in lectures and doing stuff with it that other students do with their laptops (dunno bout this yet haha). The desktop will be a production/recording rig.

So here's the dilemma. I'm leaning towards getting a USB audio interface so I could get the new macbook that came out or the lenovo x200. I'll need only 2 stereo outs (one master out/one headphone cue) , no ins. Are there USB interfaces like this, but of good quality?

Any other advice?
filthy

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:53 pm

The Novation Nio is supposed to be quite good. Thinking of getting one for my macbook. It does have inputs but its very versatile and has 2 headphone outputs with independant controls and also onboard no latency effects and direct monitoring. also a midi in and out. slightly more than you want but good value for money

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:55 pm

no no noooo. You're doing it all wrong what with the 'taking notes in lectures' and stuff.

Now your going to be a student, sell everything, take drugs and fuck the government.

That is all.

Jaan

Post by Jaan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:01 pm

lol didn't see that this morning... even now it took 10 mins to find the tech specs for the new white one: http://www.apple.com/ca/macbook/white/specs.html
cool
filthy