lucky Beta testers for Live 8.. initial thoughts?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
audiojunkies

Post by audiojunkies » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:27 pm

Khazul wrote:WTF - refresh no change... then a few hours later refresh and sorry its closed?

Did anyone actually sign up or were some 'known' people just chosen?
Lots of fanboys from the forums were chosen, shame really when some of the beta testers only started using it last year!!!

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:36 pm

audiojunkies wrote:
Khazul wrote:WTF - refresh no change... then a few hours later refresh and sorry its closed?

Did anyone actually sign up or were some 'known' people just chosen?
Lots of fanboys from the forums were chosen, like tarekith etc, shame really when some of the beta testers only started using it last year!!!
Tarekith is NOT someone I count among the fanboys, but rather someone whom I think absolutely should be a beta tester - thats based upon having participated in another company's rather beta program with him (where I beleive we both specifically approached and selected) and seeing the kind of feedback he provides, never mind that he is an obviously knowledgable person on good production practices and use of Live in particular.
Nothing to see here - move along!

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:25 pm

been on the beta since last night. first impressions:

the new way of handling of external vsts/au's parameters is great. not only does it get over the 128 parameter limit, but the ability to reorder parameters works out great on the remote sl since those parameters are also mapped to the SL's 8 rotary encoders, and across multiple banks. so if you're happy with 8 knobs at a time, you could do away with novation's automap wrapper.

the groups tracks are pretty handy. i've been splitting my drum sounds across 5/6 sub-tracks and routing them to a single drum map, so it's good to be able to wrap all that up into a folder to clear up the view. the folder track has it's own scene launch buttons which are independent from the main scenes.

the main disappointment for me is that the relationship between the session and arrange view has not really progressed any further since live 6. the workflow between the two views has never really felt right for me.

i always feel that once i've recorded some stuff out from session into the arrange view, then the session view becomes redundant. especially as it feels very clumsy moving back to session view to try out new ideas once you've already laid some stuff out in the arrangement. so i'd hoped that ableton might have looked at ideas such as having the arrange clips as aliases of the session clips, and per-track "back to arrangement" buttons. a dual monitor session/arrangement view or perhaps even the ability to pack a number of arrangement clips into a session clip, together with embedded automation!

which brings me on to the age old request for automation in session view. with the 128 parameter limit broken and all those creative possibilities under the knobs, it's a real shame that it's still not supported.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:42 pm

forge wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:How do the group tracks work regarding triggering clip inside them? Looked like their was clips of a weird sort in the group tracks 'master' track, is this just to show its a group track or do these trigger clips inside the groups like scenes?
yep - they are like mini scenes - very cool!
Yeah, that is well cool, that'll integrate well in my lives sets. Folding unfolding in Arrange is a great space saver too.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:53 am

do M4L patches work when Live is in Rewire slave mode?

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:08 am

One very cool feature is being able to copy live devices from one track, or one chain in a rack, to another....
I'm also digging the new warp engine and the quantize function...
I haven't played with much else yet...
Oh!
Wait,, thats a lie..
the new overdrive plug is the shit!!!
Very cool and natural geranium sounding effect that sounds great in front of IK's amplitube Jimi Hendrix edition...
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:19 am

Yes yes yes. The ability to Copy, Paste and duplicate effects, racks and chains make the building of complex effect set ups way faster as well as loads of other uses.

Crop Midi files, I always wanted that, much tidier.

Edit menu time commands on midi clips.

The new Zooming for clips took me about a minute to get used to.

The new warping seems better but takes getting used to.

The ability to add splashes of colour here and there is welcome as is automatic track renaming.

The vocoder and Multiband Dynamics seem deep and I'll leave them alone until I read the manual. They would be a lot easier to grasp with presets as examples.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:20 am

Homebelly wrote:... geranium sounding ...
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:25 am

crumhorn wrote:
Homebelly wrote:... geranium sounding ...
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
hehe, perHAPS a typo related to GERMANIUM overdrive? As in germanium used in the semiconductors involved in the guitar pedals?

Fantastic typo, by the way.

machine+1

Post by machine+1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:10 pm

Geraniums have some nice pedals too! :wink:

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:20 pm

Homebelly wrote:One very cool feature is being able to copy live devices from one track, or one chain in a rack, to another....
oh that's good. I often wished for that to be possible.